Thursday, August 14, 2008

Let Me Clarify

I was so upset earlier today while writing my other post that I didn't take the time to explain exactly why the surgery was canceled at the last minute. And no, it wasn't because of my weight.

Days prior to my surgery, my ENT and the anesthesiologist discussed my case and thought it would probably be safe to go ahead with the surgery. But, upon doing a mini exam, the anesthesiologist looked at the teeny tiny size of my airway and changed his mind. His concern was not so much how well I'd do under sedation, but that the post-operative narcotics they give you for pain would increase the intensity of my sleep apnea. Without us being quite sure how severe I have the apnea, he would not have been comfortable sending me home with pain medication.

His recommendation is that I have a sleep study done first, to determine the severity of the apnea. If it's not completely awful then surgery can be scheduled. If it is on the severe side, I'd have to be outfitted with a breathing machine to use at night, to force me to breathe. Surgery would then also be a go, because even with the post-operative narcotics, the machine would force me to breathe even though I'd be slightly sedated.

The only problem now is that the local hospital my doctor is affiliated with does not take the Humana PPO insurance I have, so he has to find me another sleep study facility that will accept it. For any of you out there considering signing up with Humana, do NOT do it. The money you may save is not worth the aggravation of this poor coverage.

Blogger friends, I'm sorry for another crap post, but figured you may have been wondering about the details. It's been a dismal, depressing day for me, and the worst part is that Madison woke up with a 101.7 fever this morning and was just diagnosed with strep throat. My poor baby!

Until next time, Justine :o )

27 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said:

  • Bridget

    I'm sorry your day has been so crappy, if it makes you feel better so is mine.
    I have a PPO and it is fine. It is the HMO that really stink. I wonder why you are having trouble with the insurance?

  • Anonymous

    oh dear what a dreadful day for you especially as you were all psyched up for it. Give yourself a big hug and treat yourself to steak and kidney pud chips and mushy peas.
    Then give Madison a hug and a squeeze from us.
    Take care
    Gail x

  • imjacobsmom

    Hang in there Justine! At least they had the sense to cancel your surgery. I had a hysterectomy a few years back and they almost killed me! I came out of the anesthesia all itchy and I told a nurse. She gave me some benadryl in my IV. Meanwhile, I am on dilaudid with the self dispensing clicker. Needless to say, I awoke to people doing CPR on me begging me to breathe! My physician came in the next AM and asked how my night went. I said you've got to be kidding me - I'm glad I'm still here. He went to the nurses station and threw a royal fit. I was moved into the first room next to the nurses station. The next two nights he came in and sat with me for hours watching food network, hgtv, fox news, The movie an Officer & a Gentleman, etc. (Too bad he was married....LOL) I got a CAT scan out of them, EKGs, etc to find out I am A-OK. Sorry about the blog within a blog - Robyn

  • Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net)

    Hi Justine...sorry you are having some health issues right now. Sounds like you have a good doctor though, who is being very cautious. I wanted to stop in to say thank you for thos kind comments at Gollum's on the little green hutch...you are a sweetie for taking time to leave them! I appreciate you! :-) Best of luck with your upcoming treatment/study. Hope they find a place for you to have the study done soon! Susan

  • Tootsie

    hang in there baby! You can complain to us all that you want...you had a huge disappointment today...you are allowed.

  • Lisa (aka) French

    Ahhh Justine I am so sorry but sometimes things happen for a reason right! The sleep study is definitely needed if it's that much of an issue and thank goodness they recommended the home Cpap machine....keep us posted! Oh and all insurance companies suck! They all charge out the wahoo drives me nuts! French;)

  • Jill

    I am so glad you didn't have the surgery I got up yesterday morning with a bad feeling in my gut! Now I know why! Well I'm off to the condo for the weekend no worry free because your fine! Wish me fun!

  • Naz

    My sister has the same exact problem with her health coverage also. She has the heavy duty sleeping machine (along with oxygen tank) and although they claim it's not covered by her insurance, she has it anyway and is in constant battle with her HMO.
    I hope your daughter feels better quickly.

  • SmilingSally

    When it rains, it pours! I've heard many complaints about Humana, so I stayed away from it.

    I hope things look up for you soon. It's hard to go through the down times.

    Hey! What ever happened to the Dr. hiding in the broom closet? Did you let him out?

  • Anonymous

    Hey Justine, your Doctor must be a good one to consider the after effects. I would hate to have to come to Florida and turn that Doctor's office out if any thing would have happened to you! Blogland just wouldn't be the same! (LOL) Seriously though, Thank God your Doc has all of his marbles.. and be sure to have a good day today!

    ((((HUGS))))
    Donna

    PS, ...and No, those steps are not haunted, they just look like they could be... hehehehe...

  • Penny

    Way better to be safe than sorry Justine and it sounds like you have a great doctor. My mom took a real bad turn for the worse yesterday, a day after her surgery. I thought I was going to lose her for sure! It was a panicky 9 hours, lots of IV fluids, some new blood, and who knows what else, but her vitals turned the corner for what we hope is forever. She's in ICU and I can only visit a little at a time, but I think they'll get her out of there soon.

    Hugs,
    Penny

  • Justine

    Thanks girls! You're all so wonderful, and some of you I can only thank here, because you've got no blog and no email address to write to!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like Naz and Moonlight. I do appreciate you though!

    Justine :o )

  • Linda - Behind My Red Door

    UGH - I am so sorry that it is this complicated for you. I hope you find someplace close for the study. Get Well Madison!!

  • Penny

    Thank you Justine. I hope the good doc is able to find a good place for your study, and I hope Madison is better real soon. Prayers for you both.

    Hugs,
    Penny

  • Buffie

    BUMMER! That's how I felt the when I was going to get my tooth pulled and they canceled on me! I was actually walking out the door when the phone rang, GGGRR! I did a sleep study. I have a very mild case of apnea but I had to wear one of those machines for the study...I hated it! Glad I don't have to wear one, hope you don't either!

  • Alexandra MacVean

    I'm sorry for your recent struggles. Hang in there...I'm convinced that somehow, all things work out for the good in the end. :)

  • Lisa

    How sucky is that? I have been unable to read your blog posts for the last few days due many things so I was shocked to see all the surgery stuff!!

    I hope it all goes well for you. Many many people suffer from sleep apnea and CPAP machines work wonders for them.

    Good luck with it all! :)

    So sorry to hear about poor Madison. Poor baby :(

  • mrsben

    I back-tracked before reading this page, and I'm sincerely sorry to hear things aren't going as planned.  Hopefully it will all straighten itself out.Regarding Madison and her Strep-Throat.  You don't live in Myrtle Beach do you?  My dtr. had symptoms of it when she left for a short holiday, but I'm hoping it is gone by the time she gets back this  Sunday.  She is scheduled for an abdominal double Hernia operation on Monday.  Nothing like cutting it close.  (Pun intended.)  Have had my DH down with it for the past few days.....guess the da*n bug is REALLY airborn!!!Does Madison like jello and cream puddings?  Popsicles are always a big hit too.  Wishing your sweet little one a speedy recovery.{{Brenda}}   

  • Kathy

    Hi Justine, Wishing Madison a speedy recovery and hope you get all your tests/studies etc sorted out real soon.
    I am sooo glad you had a great time with Gail and she gave you lot's of goodies from England.
    Take care, Hugs, Kathy.

  • Alexandra MacVean

    I work for a large insurance company...I do a little bit of everything...administrative, develop excel reports, develop executive presentations, mini projects, etc.

  • Anonymous

    Hey Justine,
    Hope you don't mind me sneaking in to your blogworld.... I was at Gollum's and saw a blurb about you and surgery and wanted to see what was up. Hope that things get worked out between you and the ins. company and you can get on with it. I take it you have taken a break from "freakin' tweakin'"...as you were so fond of on rms! Love your humor! I wanted to ask where you found your black "I am so going to blog about this" t-shirt...It would be the perfect gift for my good friend.
    Take care froggie-lover...
    Santamaker

  • Justine

    Hi Santa! Long time, no see! I got the shirt at cafe press.com, I believe. Isn't it cute? And they have different sytles that are much cuter, but for thinner women.

    Justine :o )

  • Alexandra MacVean

    Hope you have a good weekend.

  • Picket

    Morning girl..thanks for coming by...and girl I doubt seriously that apron would even fit half way around this ole gal! lol lol Have a great weekend!

  • SG

    Question: Why would you say the Twilight series is paranormal? I thought it was a work of fiction about a vampire. Isn't paranormal about ghosts and stuff like that?

  • Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden

    Aw Justine, I'm sorry.... I thought you were kidding about them canceling it!
    Kevin was just reading that they are making machines to monitor sleep apnea at home. Perhaps that's an option available already?
    Best wishes sweetie!

  • NurseChessie

    EWWWW. Strep throat. whats with the outbreak of that this summer??
    I had it while I was on vacation in Utah. After 3 days I couldn't take it anymore cuz the last night I woke up and thought my throat was gonna close. my throat was like spasming (never had that before) and it was nuts. who the hell gets sick in July is what I wanna know. hope the little one gets feeling better.