Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I've Often Been Told I'm a Flake...


It's that time! Time for an acid peel update! So far, the results are not what I had hoped for. I had visions in my head of huge flaps of skin peeling off like a skinned tomato. Obviously, I'm not going to get those results with this strength acid peel!


Yesterday my face was feeling tight and like I had a slight sunburn, but not too terribly uncomfortable. Keeping Neosporin on it definitely helped. Today my face was definitely showing signs of something going on. A lot of red blotchiness and some crinkly looking areas too, especially at the apples of my cheeks. I had a tiny bit of dry skin-looking flakes, but nothing to write home about. But after I had showered I saw a lot more peeling going on, but I would put it on par with the results of a very slight sunburn. I don't see how this small amount of peeling is going to do anything for the acne, hyperpigmentation, or brown sun spots that I have. Yes, I was hoping it would peel off several hundred layers of skin! Who could blame me?

Here's a picture I took of the side of my lip/chin/cheek area earlier today.
Photobucket You can see just a bit of flaking under my lower lip. This was before I took a shower and washed my face.


Now this is what the side of my face looked like after my shower.
Photobucket


That doesn't look too bad, but look at my poor chin!
Photobucket
Everywhere you see white, that is peeling skin. And the crease of my chin is more red/purple than usual from the acid drying it out. That's a huge acne area for me too. Little tiny pimples that you don't even see unless I stretch my lower lip over my teeth.

So as of right now, would I consider this acid peel a success? Hell no, unless it was an acid flake treatment! I'll probably do this a few more times in the next several months and see if repeat treatments make a difference. I can also do a double layer of acid, where you put on the first layer, wait five minutes, then put another layer on for another 5 minutes. Supposedly this gives you a 25% stronger peel. We'll see! Maybe I should just throw this stuff out and buy a sandblaster!

While I have all of you here, let me say a huge thank you to everyone who went to the SITS Girls Recipe site and voted for me. Right now I'm in the lead, but you never know when one of those inferior recipes is going to sneak up and bite my hiney! Keep your extremities crossed for me!

20 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said:

  • Penny

    Thanks for the update you flaky chick you. hahahaha Sorry you didn't have deeper flakes. I guess it might be hard to sale something too strong through the mail, no? No matter what you were very brave and gave it you very best. We will all remember this!

    Hugs,
    Penny

  • Bridget

    I've always that you were kind of flakey! LOL Now you have confirmed it.
    I'm glad your whole face didn't peel off. You be careful with that stuff ya hear!

  • Lisa (aka) French

    Please keep me posted....I have used the over the counter kind and although it helps ( a little) the results are short lived..I am interested to see what happens here and how long it will last;) Hugs French;)

  • Anonymous

    Woo Hoo! You're in the lead with your recipe? I'm so glad. Poor Justiney! That face peel doesn't sound like too much fun! I'd almost be afraid to try it! My skin is so fair and sensitive to many things! Well, when you turn out with your peaches and creamness complextion - I may have to bite the bullet and peel too!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

  • Life on the Edge

    Hmmm, I don't think its supposed to be extreme. I guess Buffie would be the one to ask about that. Did you ever watch Sex and the City where Samantha got the chemical peel? Looked like she had second degree burns! Hilarious! You wouldn't want to look like that!

    I'm glad your face didn't melt.

    Kady

  • Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden

    OMG, the alligator totally cracked me up.
    I say hang in there, and keep doing them every so often...

    Don't want the potent stuff or you'll look like the Joker afterwards, lol!

  • Tootsie

    after a very LONG day, I am finally getting to the computer...I am so releived that you did not hurt yourself! I think you are way to hard on yourself....you are a beautiful girl....flakes, pimples, splotches and all!
    talk to you soon my dear Tiney!

  • artis1111

    Ha Flake head, Someone saw this Alien plucking your eyebrows, and I have PROOF! Heee Kathy

  • Raxx - A day in the life

    Hi Justine!
    Well I for one am glad that the peel went as mild as it did, No one woud make a product that would cause layers of skin to just flake off like a snake sheds!

    So be patient and look for the results over time. Not to mention I see no problem with your face to begin with!

    I love the pics of the girls in their school outfits, all our kids wear uniforms, so no major back to school shopping for me. I loove the preppie look though! Mikayla's got style.

  • Sue

    mornin J, sorry about the peel, have you tried proactive? my daughter had bad breakouts on her chin every month and that stuff has cleared her up beautifully, only thing that ever worked for her!
    when I opened your blog, 1 yr old Amelia got all excited looking at the colorful frog!! TTYL!! Sue

  • Rhea

    Acid flaking, huh? Sorry it didn't produce a stronger result. And, congrats on doing so well in the SITS recipe contest so far! WOOHOO!

  • imjacobsmom

    My fingers are crossed - your recipe sounds like a winner! ~ Robyn

  • Anonymous

    Hi Justine,
    I've been curious to see how your peel worked because I was thinking about trying it too. About 6 years ago, I used prescription strength Retin A cream after I had a facelift and wasn't all that impressed. I basically got about the same results you seem to be getting...dryness and flakiness like after a mild sunburn. But I had a friend who had a chemical peel done by my plastic surgeon and her skin REALLY peeled...in sheets. NOT a pretty sight! Actually, it was gross looking. It sounds like that's the results you were hoping for so you might want to check into it.

  • niartist

    Hey Justine!

    I'm back! YAY! And I've got a great contest going at the Blog! You can win a CalicoCorners $200 gift certificate for sending me a photo of a room you'd like to change with fabric!

    Hope you play along! Deadline to enter is September 10th!

    Artie

  • SG

    Uh... thanks for sharing?

  • Holy Crappers

    I have seen people who have it done by a professional. Consider yourself lucky. Their face was a mess!!!

    #1

  • Naz

    There must be another method that this acid stuff. Just be careful with your next skin adventure.
    At least your doing well in the recipe contest which is a whole lot safer.

  • Kathy

    Hi Justine, I can see you were hoping for more of a reaction, but I am glad your face did not fall off, You are very brave to try that acid stuff in the first place.

    I have voted for your bowtie pasta and hope you get through. Kathy

  • SmilingSally

    If you ever find anything that takes off layers and layers, I'll buy it and put it on my stomach.

  • MARY IN SCOTLAND

    OMG! your blog is funny!! Love the pics of peeling skin! I laughed out loud!
    I'm glad you stopped by my blog! YAY!!
    I love it!!