Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Wow, Weird Book, but GOOD!


Last week, my wonderful friend Stephanie from Mama Still Wears Gucci, posted about a book she had read and that affected her deeply. She was so impressed with this book that she decided to buy copies for some of her blogger friends that showed an interest. At first I was hesitant to say, "Me me me!" because let's face it, I could go out and buy my own book. But this seemed really important to Stephanie for whatever reason, so I gave her my address and soon received my copy of the book.




I don't consider myself a religious person, but more a very spiritual one, who believes fully in God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. I don't read the bible, and I rarely attend church, being the lapsed Catholic that I am. I try not to feel guilty about it because I feel my faith is strong and that I don't necessarily need to be part of a religious sect to be a good person and have God as a strong force in my life.

This book, although fiction, made me feel better about floundering a bit religiously. The story is about a man named Mack who has lived a great tragedy that leads him to question God's role in his life. It's hard to say more without completely spoiling the story, but there's really so much more I'd love to say about this book! Let me just say that this is not a holy roller type book in any way. It's just a beautiful story that truly makes you think about your own relationship with God, no matter what denomination you are. It leads you to think about forgiveness and how it can truly free you of hate and allow love in its place. It makes you realize that as humans, God doesn't expect us to be perfect because the only perfect human being was Jesus, and he gave up his life in order for us to have the freedom to make mistakes and still be forgiven.

But again, this story truly isn't about religion, but about Mack's experience when faced with the chance to meet with God personally and ask those many intriguing questions I think we all have. Fiction? Yes. Powerful? Yes. It's one of those books that grabs your attention right away and makes you fall in love with the characters, which in this case are very lovable indeed.

Go pick up a copy. I promise you, you won't regret it!



13 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said:

  • Unknown

    Sounds like an interesting one! Have you read either of the Christ the Lord books by Anne Rice?

  • Naz

    The first thing I noticed today was the picture of Sheila. Have you had any word on her yet? I pray she is safe.

  • squawmama

    Wow that book really moved you didn't it... I have about 10 books in holding but I will keep this one in mine. Are you feeling better.. Did you get your CPAP machine yet? I know your truly going to love the way you feel when you use it...

    Love & Hugs,
    Donna aka Squawmama

  • nikkicrumpet

    Dang woman...you should get a job writing book reviews...you did that better than the people who get paid for it! It sounds like an interesting book. Have a great day.

  • Gucci Mama

    Glad you liked it! I thought you would...;)

  • onlymehere

    I'm going to have to look for this. I love to read but it's a bit of a problem for me anymore, dang these old eyes! Thanks for the heads up!

  • Anonymous

    Justine,

    The book sounds very interesting! It kind of reminds me of a book "Siddhartha" by Herman Hesse. Siddhartha was expected by his village to be "Holy". He wanted to go out and experience life. He disappointed many by leaving. Through his travels, he experienced hunger, sadness, lust, greed, money, happiness etc...

    In the end he found peace and became holy, but had he not experienced "life" he would not have found peace.

    I love that book!!!! It's one of my favorites.


    I will have to check this book out!

    Donna

  • Rhea

    My dad was just telling me about this book. His whole church congregation had been reading it and all loved it. I'll have to check it out.

  • niartist

    OOOoooo, I might just have to look into getting a copy of this here book! :) Speaking of books - I loaded the books into the shelves last night. WOW! I didn't know there were that many. They're all in in color order, a chore and a half. I need to start the faux finish tonight - but that will take a burst of energy I'm not too sure I'll get. Oh, and I changed the layout of the blog and even created a header! YAY! Hope you're doing well.

  • Alexandra MacVean

    My friend, Strider, talked about this book not long ago...then I seen it while walking through the bookstore...now you. Maybe I need to read this book...I feel like I'm stuck in my own "tragedy" right now, questioning everything. Thank you for blogging about it and being honest about yourself. I appreciate that in people.

    *hugs*

  • Alexandra MacVean

    Hi Justine...my first two days of work were OK. VERY busy...mostly tiring. I've been ready to go home after a half a day. Not used to sitting up straight all day, yet. But, I'm outta sick time, so I'm trying to make it, and then just rest when I get home. :)

  • Lisa (aka) French

    Oh the days I had time to read~~I wish! Last thing I read was several months back Why we want you to be rich~~~it was actually very thought provoking;) French

  • imjacobsmom

    I just picked this book up last weekend from Target. I was looking at the Bookmarked Bestsellers endcap and a woman approached me telling me not to look any further - that I must buy this book! I haven't had a chance to start it yet , because I worked late every night the past 2 weeks! Ick! ~ Robyn