Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Block Par-Tay!


Each year, our next door neighbor, Grisel, organizes a big block party to celebrate the end of summer. All the families pitch in $20 and she rents bouncy castles, snow cone machines, a cotton candy machine, and then all of us neighbors bring something yummy to munch on. The bouncers are set up down in the cul-de-sac, and near our houses there are tents for those who want shade, tables and chairs and many many coolers, filled with drinks for the kids, and lots and lots of beer. This year Grisel even had her eldest daughter, Daniella doing face painting on the kids, blowing up long balloons and trying to make animals out of them, and even had stick-on tattoos, that even the adults were sporting. I passed on the tattoos since I have four of the real things decorating my skin.


Here's Dani and one of her good friends. Isn't she beautiful? Ah, to be 16 again!
Photobucket

This is her friend Michael. I call him the resident emo. Seems like a really nice kid and Dani speaks highly of him. Every day I see him waiting on the curb for his ride to school, black eyeliner, black clothes, black nails and all. Many might not agree, but I think it's great that his parents allow him to express himself in his own way.
Photobucket

I took so many damn pictures, I don't even know where to start! Here's Gianna in the small Sponge Bob bouncy they had set up for the littles.
Photobucket

The other two bouncy things. That's Jill's dh, Mark in the orange shirt.
Photobucket

Photobucket

I took this picture of Jill, thinking that it's a pretty good one. But she took one look at it and demanded that I delete it right away. I'm sure you can imagine that I wasn't about to listen to her, and the fact is that HA! The picture is here on my blog, so neener neener, sis! But she did try and wrestle the camera from me, and then chased me down the street, whipping my ass with the cord of a play microphone. Owwwwwwwwwww! I'm sure to have bruises on both ass cheeks tomorrow. I saw some friends giggling on the sidelines. This could either be because I was getting my ass whipped, or they'd never seen two extra large women running. You be the judge.

Photobucket

See? It's not a bad pic of her at all! THIS is.
Photobucket

Can you see me snickering right now? Well, I am, because Jill is on her way home and cannot hurt me now! Look Jill, in all fairness, I let you get away with bruising my very sensitive buttocks. I did not hit you back. Instead, I'm hitting you where it really hurts. In your vanity! Bwaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaa! That'll teach you not to mess with the big sista!

The men had a cool game set up on Ron's lawn, but no one knows the real name of the game, so they dubbed it "redneck horseshoes". We'd played this game years ago in our Tampa neighborhood but I was surprised to see it again. I had thought it was something the old neighbors made up. All it is, is two shallow wooden boxes with a large can in the middle of each, and the goal is to throw a washer (yes, I said a washer) from one end and get it in the can. Sounds silly, but it's really kind of fun and kept the men occupied for hours! Here's Jimmy standing around waiting for his turn.

Photobucket

Manuel, making a brilliant toss!

Photobucket

Here are just some various pictures of the party going on. Not that you all will care, but I'm putting them in here anyway!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is another Tracey I'm friends with. She's a real hoot! Take a look at the balloon Jill is holding, and tell me what YOU think it looks like. I'm keeping my nasty thoughts to myself for once.
Photobucket

Tracey and Kristin, just chillin'.

Photobucket

Princess Honey.

Photobucket

Now what would a party be without a couple pics of me and Larry? In this first pic, look at how he's scrutinizing my roots! Little stinker!

Photobucket

That's better!
Photobucket

Later, Larry brought his beloved dog, Matahari down to party. Also, this is Michelle, with Gabby from next door. Oh, how I love Michelle. The girl is funny and has the greatest personality. Everyone loves her!
Photobucket

Ernie, Boston Dave, Ernie's wife, Angie, and Grisel.
Photobucket

My new friend, Kristen. Doesn't she look like a teenager? LOVED HER.
Photobucket

Angie, Tracy and John.
Photobucket

And finally, a cute picture of Dani (middle) with two of her friends. Twon is newly moved here from Taiwan, and I don't remember the guy's name, but he's really sweet.

Photobucket

Oops, let us not forget that it's football time! Manuel set up his projector so they could watch the game on the garage door. Cool, no?
Photobucket

I don't know about you, but I'm tired just reliving the block party. It was a lot of good old clean fun, with great conversations and lots of laughing. Michelle's birthday is next weekend, and we were invited to celebrate with her and a whole bunch of others on Friday, at a comedy club here in Jax. Should be a blast!


25 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said:

  • MARY IN SCOTLAND

    How fun! What a good idea! Looks like you had a great time!

  • Anonymous

    Where was Miss Mikayla 'journalist extraordinaire'?? I'd have thought she'd be recording it all for future reference.

    Looks like you have a great bunch of neighbours. We used to live in a place like that but people moved or fell out with one another and it just fizzled away. Shame....

    Poor Jill - and after the week she's had! Bad sister!

  • Buffie

    OOOh Jill's gonna get you!!! LOL!!! Wow that was some block party, I don't think I've ever seen one quite like that! Y'all do it up big, how cool and fun! I wanna live on your block!
    Buffie : )

  • squawmama

    Wow nothing is better then a good old fashion BLOCK party... It looks like you guys really had a great time the only problem was that I wasn't there to join you in the fun... you know that I am the PARTY girl..Gianna really looks cute in her picture... I think about her a lot and so wish for her to be better.. Love the sister banter....

    Hugs & Kisses,
    Donna

  • Raxx - A day in the life

    We have stuff like that here too! It's nice to get out with the neighbors and kids and have a great time! Our community is small and it's on a dead end street.

    Love that you are getting out! Tell me all about the comedy club!

  • Lisa (aka) French

    How weird is that~~we had our same party last night~~~difference is I didn't take one picture (shame on me) your subdivision looks like mine! Hope you had a blast;) and Ohhhh girl your gonna be in T-R-O-U-B-L-E!!!!French

  • Anonymous

    Looks like you had a good time yesterday. What fun for the kids. I would love to have something like that in our neighbohood. Well, we do, in the clubhouse,sitting down and me being almost the youngest one there. LOL.

    Hugs,
    Chris

  • Lisa

    I think it is so freaking awesome that you live in a nieghborhood like that.

  • Anonymous

    Hey Justine,

    Seems like the Block Par-Tay was a big hit! Did you top the night off with one of your famous Brazilian Waxed Hard Chocolate Penis Cakes??? (LOL) Glad you had a great time. I loved all of the pics.

    xoxoxoxo
    Donna

  • Anonymous

    Hi Justine. First of all, I love your blog and have been reading it for a while now. My parents had that washer game for a long time and they called it "washers." Their version had another wooden square section between the outer box and the can, and you got different points depending upon where the washer landed. It was a lot of fun. ShariAZ

  • Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity

    looks like you had a great time. Gianna is getting so big. I think she's really cute. Looks like you have fun neighbors!!!

  • Alexandra MacVean

    Girl...you are SO much fun! :) I don't care how lousy of a mood I might be in, your blog always makes me smile and laugh. :)

  • Kathy

    Looks like you all had a wonderful time and your neighbours look like a friendly lot, that's a pretty photo of Gianna and Jill and you and Larry, your new camera is tops! and another party for next week, hope your arse is better now!. have fun, Kathy.

  • Kathy

    ops meant ass not arse!.

  • Rachelle

    Sounds like a great party ~ love the pictures! I wish we could do something like that around here, but all our neighbors are either 80 or older or aren't particularly fond of us ~ I can't imagine why ( it surely wouldn't have any thing to do with our 5 kids tearing up the joint on a daily basis?) :o) Thanks for sharing!

  • Anonymous

    WOW I wish we did something like that in my neighborhood, and if they do, somehow I've not been invited, hmmfff....has to be the husbands fault, I mean, I'm damn near perfect;) LOL

    I think we may be kinda neighbors...you said JAX...I'm just outside of Jax...so uh, I'm looking for an invite next party, HAHAHAHAH

  • nikkicrumpet

    That is so cool that all your neighbors get together and have a big old blowout! It looks like everyone had a great time...well maybe except for your sister who is gonna KILL YOU! You asked about how I did the tattoo thingie...it ain't complicated or I couldn't do it. Go to a website called photofunia. There are a bunch of cool photos you can screw around with!

  • mrsben

    You 'Floridans' know how to party and look at that, you are all in summer-wear. Lucky you on both accounts...smiles. (We Northerners are getting our Long-Johns out...brrrrrr. GGrief we've even been known to have snow for Halloween.)
    Hey Jill, for what it is worth; I think it's a great picture of you.

  • onlymehere

    What a fun community to live in! Looks like a great time. About the cousins, we have vinyl siding and actually Larry looked under and there are no bugs. It's an Alfred Hitchcock mystery!

  • Rhea

    I'm laughing at your getting your arse whipped with a toy microphone by your sister. hehe

  • Anonymous

    Justiney!! It's so good to be back and see your comments! I'll be blogging a little later, just trying to get around to see all my buddies.

    Boy, what a wonderful fun neighborhood you must have! You and Jill are just hoots!! I can just see you both running down the street! Has she managed to beat you up again?

    Continue to be a sweetie my friend,
    Shelia ;)

  • niartist

    Justine I think that it's great you live in such a wonderful community - where people would feel comfortable giving someone $20 to plan a party ... I don't know that they'd do that up my way! LOL! Wish I could have been there, looks like it was a blast!

  • Bridget

    I be needed me some Tiney love! Come out and play!!!

  • santamaker

    hey Justine, So glad you had a fun day! You were due for one! That group looked like fun. Are the posting yet? LOL

  • Karen

    The game using washers is called washers in ST. Louis. It's very popular there as the old neighborhoods had mainly long, narrow yards. We lived there for 11 years and thats what the neighbors would play at every party. My son told me the other week that he's going to introduce it to his college friends. Looks like it was a fun party. Karen