Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Autumn in N. Florida


For many of you, autumn is a beautiful time of year, when the air is crisp and cold in the morning, geese are seen flying south, and the trees are bursting with all those beautiful colors. It's probably the time of year when you call out a service to clean your chimney, and afterwards, stack logs on the grate in preparation for a cozy night near the fire. Where you live, moms are probably going through their "winter clothes" boxes, pulling out long pants, long sleeves, coats and mittens.


I live in Florida. Autumn schmautumn. Where are my cold mornings? Where are my trees bursting with beautiful color? Sure, I have a fireplace, but it's run on gas for goodness sakes. And we don't have any gas! Do farts count? Because in that case we can set a bonfire in my family room. But anyway it would be no fun to sit around a roaring fire in a tank top and shorts with the a/c blasting. Ah, Florida in autumn. Dead palm fronds. Oh, joy!


I bet a lot of you have porches decorated with lots of pumpkins, corn stalks, Indian corn and bales of hay, right?



Well lucky you! I might be able to do something like this...


But that doesn't look very autumn-y does it? And truth be told, if I went out and bought some pumpkins right now, they would probably be a rotted pile of stinking pulp by Halloween, having sat in the hot Florida sun for two weeks.


Wouldn't want to roast those seeds now, would ya?

I guess I really shouldn't be complaining. After all, it's going down into the 60s tonight and the days have only been in the mid-80s. Almost time to break out the sweaters! See what I mean?


Tonight: A slight chance of sprinkles. Partly cloudy, with a low around 68. East wind between 7 and 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Wednesday: A slight chance of sprinkles. Partly cloudy, with a high near 83. East wind between 7 and 14 mph.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 64. Northeast wind between 3 and 9 mph.

Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 83. Calm wind becoming northeast between 5 and 8 mph.

Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 63. East wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 85.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 65.



But in all sincerity, I really have enjoyed the winter months here in north Florida. Having come from the west coast where winter was a complete joke, being up here is almost as good as being in Georgia or South Carolina. Kind of. Sort of. Okay, not really. But, come November we should really start getting some cool days in the 50s and 60s, and some nights during the winter it will actually go down into the upper 20s. Now that I'm looking forward to!

I've spent 1-1/2 winters here in Saint Augustine now, and both I got through with nothing heavier than a zippered sweatshirt. But, because it is my habit to sit out on the back porch while emailing and blogging, I've decided I need something heavier this year. I actually ordered a jacket today! Can you see me bouncing up and down in anticipation of wearing it? I remember quite a few nights sitting out here, typing with numb fingers, so maybe I'll even get some gloves this year! Ooh, the excitement!


But you know what the best part of cold weather is? I don't have to shave my legs!!!!!!!! That's right. I can just let the hair grow into a bushy tangled mess and no one even knows! Bwaaaaaa haaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Hell, maybe this year I'll strive to get the leg hair long enough to french braid. Now wouldn't that be fun?



24 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said:

  • Lisa

    You want to braid your leg hair? Sick. LOL. I would dare you to take pictures to prove it, but I am pretty sure you would. I think you like to take nasty pictures to gross me out.

    I am still too far south to get the cold weather. In December we do get down to the 50s overnight, but by 10am we are up into the 80s. I have not worn a pair of jeans since March 2007 (except for the week I spent in Tennessee last X-mas).

  • Life on the Edge

    If you get your leg hairs french braided then I do insist you take a pic and post it here.

    Hehehe, you're right though! About us northerners putting out all of our fall decorations. Have you always lived in Florida, or have you experienced fall in other parts of the country? It's my favorite season!

    Kady

  • squawmama

    OK crazy woman... You're making me not want to come back to the Sunshine state... I hate the heat... Lived there practically my whole life... That is why I hit the road ASAP every year... Well the good news is, being that we live in the motorhome we can come up there by you and pretend it's up north... Actually my cousin lives in Lake City and it does get cooler there... I tell you if it wasn't for the daughter, grandkids and my brother I would probably never go back to Pinellas County... 2.5 more weeks and we’ll be rolling into there... YIPEE! Actually there are a lot of beautiful places in Florida too... We have fun no matter where we are...

    Hugs,
    Donna

  • santamaker

    Awww, Justine, you always manage to put a smile on my face. I must admit to being guilty of not shaving my legs quite as often in the winter...ugh...nasty stuff, but what the heck!
    I grew up in Winter Park , Fla, so I know that winter meant you could finally wear long sleeved shirts! No pumpkins or turning leaves.. Yeah, but we had great beaches, so THERE!!!

  • nikkicrumpet

    You are such a freaking nut!!! Why do you want cold? When the rest of us are freezing to death, slipping on ice, and shoveling snow...you're gonna be basking in warmth and sunshine! I think St. Augustine is one of the prettiest places I've ever visited....I'LL TRADE YA! And although I don't feel sorry for your nice tropical weather...I did get a big laugh out of this funny post!

  • Rhea

    Not-shaving leg hair totally rocks!

    I like those fingerless gloves a lot. I need a pair. Totally.

    We get cold weather here, thank god. Nothing like up north, but we get a good snow or ice at least once...lol

  • Anonymous

    Hurrummph!
    1. What the hell cold is 80 degrees?
    2. What the hell are 'sprinkles?' we put them on top of cakes and ice cream.
    3. OK so I did wear a sweatshirt a few years back when we came over in November but I was wearing my shorts whatever the temperature - I was a Brit on holiday and I sure as hell wasn't wearing trousers.
    4. We are at 8C at the moment - and that's mild for this time of year.

    Enjoy your leg braiding!

  • Anonymous

    SWEET...a local weather report, and I didn't even have to look it up for myself;) I love it! LOL

    We just went to VA for the weekend and it was absolutely beautiful....the autumn leaves, the leaves falling, but damnit, I could totally just SEE that in pictures, I LOATHE cold weather, and to me, if I have to wear any type of jacket, its too cold! LOL

    Oh, btw my new weather lady....I just tagged you;)~

  • Alexandra MacVean

    No shaving??? =O hahhaaha Thanks for stopping by. And yes, I took all of those pictures. My father has been teaching me photography. He's really good at it. Have a GREAT Wednesday! :)

  • Picket

    Girl you just ain't right!! lol Bill's brother and his wife lived in Sarasota, Florida for a few years and Christmas was always the hardest for them...putting up Christmas decorations when it was so hot outside! lol They moved back to Tennessee and couldn't be happier! lol You ask why Bill proposed over the phone & where he worked at the time to afford to buy my rings...you gotta remember Bill is from Tenn and when he was just 15 yrs old his dad died..he left the day of the funeral to come live with one of his brother's (who happens to be married to my aunt...that is when I first met him) they lived in Texas at the time and he started writing me letters..he soon hitched hiked back to Alabama to live with his other brother in Selma...he is still 15 at this time...he starts to work at the Maxwell Air Force Base as a bag boy at the commissary and he saved everything he made...we never even dated until he turned 16 and his brother helped him buy a car and he started coming up to see me on weekends....but we fell in love the very first time we met so I knew I wanted to marry him even though I had never kissed him! lol Back then diamonds weren't quiet so high and white platinum was thought to be harder that white gold and alot cheaper...so for $400 cash I got a 1/2 carat solitaire with a matching wedding band (which I use to sneak in the bathroom and put it on before we married just to hold it up in the mirror to see how it looked!! lol) So I hope that answers your inquiring mind and now that you know so much personal stuff about me..does this mean we're kin???!!!!! lol lol

  • Anonymous

    you are INSANE...I say that with love, but you are out there.......Living in Fl in the winter is nice, all 2 months of it.Sometimes it might get all the way to 40 or 45. Oh well, we can't have it all can we :)

    Hugs,
    Chris

  • Lisa (aka) French

    I hate the cold! One of the reasons we moved here from Canada! I do NOT miss shoveling, driving in that crap at all! You are one crazy gal! French;)

  • Naz

    I lived in Florida for one year. In fact my oldest daughter was born in Lakeland. I missed the changing of the 4 seasons and can understand exactly how you feel.
    How about a space heater for those cool nights on the porch?

  • Anonymous

    Justiney! You silly one! I know what cha mean about no fall!! I pretend it's hear anyway and crank the ac way down so it's nice and chilly. Mr. Precious doesn't appreciate it tho! Men!! Well, about the legs shaving bit - you'll notice as you get quite a bit older the hair growing seems to slow down a bit. I'm so glad of that!! You're goint to braid your leg hairs!? Take a picture if you do!!

    Dahling, Myrna Loy's been dead forever and I'm sure you've never seen those old b/w movies. But that's okay!! You're just too young to appreciate the wonderfulness of the real oldies movies. You would probably say they're stupid. That's okay - love ya anyway! lol ;P
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

  • Anonymous

    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! You're Myrna Loy!! How wonderful and now you must go rent some of her old movies so you can see how classy you really are. Oh, but now I'm jealous!! See, I don't think I have any wit and you have 29%! I guess I'll have to get over it!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

  • Raxx - A day in the life

    Justine I can so identify!!! I just once would like to have some good ol' snow! who knows?, with global warming and all.............

  • Rachelle

    Oh Justine, you can always make me laugh. Your weather report sounds great compared to ours here in Nebraska ~ it was already down to 35 degrees last night with a high of about 50 today if we're lucky. And you are correct ~ there are pumpkins, scarecrows and corn stalks on every street! I despise being cold ~ give me 65 or 70 degrees every day with some sunshine and I'd be one happy lady.
    Can't wait to see the pics of the french braided leg hair! :o)

  • Alexandra MacVean

    I hope you had a good day today, Justine. Thinking of you. *hugs*

  • nikkicrumpet

    You didn't look close enough! The receipts and old ticket stub (from the butterfly museum 3 weeks ago) were up there next to the $5 off coupon for petco...I just smoothed them out so they would lay flat...then didn't talk about them lol. I can't wait to see what's in YOUR purse...this should be good!

  • Anonymous

    You maniac!!!! LOL You are too funny! I love your Autum post!

    xoxoxoxo
    Donna!

  • Insane Mama

    I live in So. Ca. I don't get much in the way of seasons either

  • Dazzlemama

    Justine - you are one crazy biotch. I have been mouring loss of Florida heat since I returned to this God forsaken blustery Autumn. It actually snowed here the other day - BLEACHHHHHHHHHH! I stand in my bathroom under the heat lamp, close my eyes and wish I were back in Florida with the little lizard things, and gross horny bugs all stuck to each other. le sigh - I'd gladly send you my crunchy brown leaves that blow all over the damn place the 85km winds. What is it with you people? LOL On my flight home, I sat with a large group of Floridian seniors coming to Alberta, Canada to watch the "changing of the seasons"? Ok... Hope they brought their mittens!
    Signed, FfFFfffrrreezing my ass off .

  • Anonymous

    I miss the changing of the seasons this time of year. I dont think the banana trees change color....do they?

    peace
    #2

  • Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden

    What a hoot! A new jacket, woohoo!

    I'd go crazy without each season change!