Sunday, March 1, 2009

She Gave Me $300 and a Wedgie


So! You know I've been in the process of moving, but I bet you didn't know I was selling fish tanks and such on Craig's List to raise money to buy a new kitchen table set, right?


A few days ago I got an email from this chick inquiring about my 60 gallon tank. We chatted back and forth a bit in emails (you know me, I've never met a stranger) and she almost instantly PayPal'd me the money for the tank. Talk about a trusting soul! Would you ever do that? Nope, not me either.

What can I say about my new friend, Jenna? She works on the printing press for one of our local papers, her hubby is overseas in Afghanistan, and, well... she's a bit quirky-dirky. You guys think I'm the Critter Whisperer? You should get a load of Jenna and her household zoo! If I remember correctly, she has 6 small dogs, 7 cats (although Zero the cat, who just had a $4,000 plate put in his leg, is missing in action at the moment), a ferret, two turtles, five mean geese and two hedgehogs.




As if that's not enough, she also fosters animals for the local animal control center. At the moment she's got an additional dog, a mama cat with a litter of kitties, another motherless kitty, plus two others that are ready for adoption. Know how she weighs them to tell if they're growing? In the dark of night, when the post office has closed, she sneaks in there and uses their postal scale. Can you imagine the look of puzzlement on the security person's face when they look over the nightly security tapes?



She's certifiable, no?

And that's why Tiney liked her, yes?

When I sent her an email Friday night, I jokingly said, "Bring the hedgehogs! Bring the hedgehogs!"

She brought a hedgehog! His name is Wedgie and he is so cute! I would have loved to snuggle with him a bit, but he's like, kinda prickly.

Wedgie, feeling kind of shy.



Have you ever seen a cuter face? That wet, wiggling nose gave me the warm fuzzies.



Here we have Jenna modeling the latest in hedgehog fashion. I call it Winter Prickball.



Jenna also brought her pal, Gravy, and Madison stole my phone to take a picture of him. What a face, eh?



Jenna and I had a grand time chatting about everything from ferret poop to mineral makeup. All while Jimmy was loading up her car (you really need a new car, Jenna. That ancient Volvo just doesn't fit your funky- military- wife persona) with the tank, stand, three buckets of gravel, and a huge bin of assorted rocks. Hey, he's the one who went from this...



To this...



And this...



Far be it from me to stand in the way of Jimmy's health and an extra workout.

So, it was actually a lot of fun getting to meet Jenna. She seems like a really fun person with a huge fuzzy heart. Just my type of gal. I'm hoping we get to know one another better in the coming months, because I'm jonesing to meet the rest of her critters. And to see if, in fact, her house doesn't smell. Yes, I asked her that question. Don't act like you're surprised.

And because of Jenna and a nice guy named Eric who bought another one of my fish tanks, I'm $400 closer to the kitchen table and chairs I so desperately need. The one I'm stuck on at the moment is only $599, with an additional $119 if I buy the two-seater bench in addition to the four chairs. What do you guys think of it? Love it? Hate it? Ambivalent?



Until Next Time, Tiney

49 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said:

  • Beckie

    Girl! that table is fabulous! I want one now! And hedgehogs are the bestest pets ever!I had one back in high school and miss him so much! Clean and cuddly little buggers. Well, congrats on getting closer to yrou goal and hopefully you'll have a beautiful table set in no time!! Definitely show us pics when you get it!

  • Rhea

    That hedgehog is ADORABLE. I want one! How did she get it? Do they make good pets? She sounds like quite a character.

    I like the table you picked out...I think it's beautiful.

  • Raxx - A day in the life

    First off I love that kitchen table, and go for the bench if you can, it's great!!

    I see you found a kindred spririt!

    I've never seen a hedgehog close up! They are cute!!

    Wow, Jimmy looks hot to trot! Is he still on his weight loss plan, and is he still discplined?

  • Amy

    Love the table.

    Not too keen on critters though :)

  • santamaker

    Hi Justine!
    Funny how nice people are from Craig's list. I spoke to a woman for 2 hours the other day and we both were talking like old friends. Ofcourse, it would have been nice if she had bought the butcher block island that she had called about!
    Your critter lovin' BFF is just wonderful. She's a lucky girl to have met you as well. Girl....run out and buy that table...NOW!!!!

  • Jason, as himself

    Love the table and chairs. Love the Hedgehog. Love the crazy lady. Love Jimmy.

  • Sue

    I wanna be your neighbor! Jenna and you will probably turn out to be best boogs! I LOVE the table and chairs to want, great choice!! I put a rug on craigslist and got all paranoid when a guy emailed about it! I emailed Donna and she said don't be a baby, I'm sure he isn't a mass murderer!! (not in those exact words!)LOL! I never did sell it!

  • Anonymous

    Girl-- first of all when I saw the title, I thought OMG what has she done?? LOL

    Oh, the hedgie is sooooooooo cute. Love it.

    YES to the table. Definately yes!!

    So far on Craigslist I have sold an armoire (which bought my new bed and bedside lamps), a desk, a shelf unit, 2 prints and a statue. And yes, everyone who bought was very very nice.

    Hope you are settling in at the new place and you should have helped Jimmy load the car, tsk tsk.

    Love ya!
    Kiki

  • Anonymous

    Girl-- first of all when I saw the title, I thought OMG what has she done?? LOL

    Oh, the hedgie is sooooooooo cute. Love it.

    YES to the table. Definately yes!!

    So far on Craigslist I have sold an armoire (which bought my new bed and bedside lamps), a desk, a shelf unit, 2 prints and a statue. And yes, everyone who bought was very very nice.

    Hope you are settling in at the new place and you should have helped Jimmy load the car, tsk tsk.

    Love ya!
    Kiki

  • Anonymous

    Jenna's in a short sleeve shirt and it's only 16 degrees here......BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

  • ~♥~ Monica S

    The table and chairs looks very comfortable!! :-) And looks nice too!:-)

    Your new friend sounds great!And what cuties she brought!

    Monica

  • Stacy Uncorked

    Oh how FUN your new friend sounds! That hedgehog is ADORABLE! Princess Nagger saw the pictures, so now she's bugging me for a hedgehog...I see some nagging in my future... :)

    LOVE the table - very cool! And I'd definitely go with the bench, too.

    So THAT's what I need to do - SELL stuff on Craigslist instead of BUY stuff...LOL! :)

  • nikkicrumpet

    I want a hedgehog! And I love the table...but you HAVE to buy the bench...the bench makes the set!

  • Michelle

    Ok I want that little guy. He was the cutiest thing ever!
    Also, Love that table it is great.
    I have tons of stuff I need to sell. Craigs List is a great idea.

  • Sue

    Its coming down fast and furious! Look at the weather channel, see NJ, we're supposed to get as much as a foot and 3 more inches if it snows all day tomorrow too, Could be 15 inches! Yahoo! I'll definitely take pictures tomorrow! xo

  • Dawn

    Okay, Wedgie is adorable!
    The table and chairs are gorgeous~
    And, I NEED that weight loss plan!!

    Great post!

  • Bridget

    I love it, you can use the extra seating!

  • Sara's Sweet Surprise

    New friends and critters can pop up in the most unusual places. I've just met a new friend on my last train trip to Seattle. We spent the ride chatting and acquainting ourselves. Enjoying each others company over the lunches we shared.

    Sweet Wishes,
    Sara

    P.S. Did you ever make it over to the blog with the ghost story post? I'm heading over for part two.

  • Jill

    The dog is funny looking buy cute. It looks like it's face was photo shopped onto another dog!
    Wedgie is cute too..
    I like the table but you better cover the chairs. WHITE SUCKS!

  • Life on the Edge

    A hedgie named Wedgie! Roflmao. Your new friend sure has a sense of humor. That is just about the most adorable damn thing I think I have ever seen.

    And the table? A big yes! Get the bench too, it will be awesome! You need something new for your new place!

    Kady

  • flat face friends

    I could tell you were great from the moment u emailed me; like the way you can tell a good cheese....

    I love the table and u have to get the bench..oh wait...u dont like my abbreviations, although its ok for u 2 use ROTFL..my husband would say,"How old is she..sixteen?"

    Lord, does that dog need a haircut.
    Checking to see if I have an account here; otherwise it's
    Jenna (still zero-less)

  • Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria

    Justine...love the table get the bench will be great with company...also Loved that Hedgehog ...girl I had never seen one before..now ferret are not allowed in Ca. but I have seen them in Reno, NV at the pet store and loved them...but they do smell..Now I would love to have a Meekat those I think are darling..Don't you love craig list..of course everything on our has been junk..Hope you have a great Monday girl!! hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

  • AJ

    Got caught up on a few of your posts since I've mentally checked out for the past few weeks;) You are freakin hilarious! Hope you are surviving the move!

  • Anonymous

    Love the hedge'hodge' (as i used to call them)and the dog is Ok too - I'm a BIG dog kind of gal though.

    The table? Well you know how we have different taste in 'entertainment centres and such????

    I do like theflooring though!

    Oh and tell Jill to toughen up a bit. 16 degrees is like summer here - we'd be out in shorts and flip flops at that temperature.

    and did Jimmy get a chest wax? (Soz jimmy, I had to ask!)

  • Rachelle

    Jenna sounds like a great lady! Anybody that opens her home to all those animals has a great heart. Wedgie is adorable! I';m glad you are getting closer to getting your table set. It is gorgeous!

  • Anonymous

    Morning, Justiney! Leave it to you to make a new bestest friend from CraigsList! :) Really, I think it's a nice thing. I know I would love her! I love all the little creatures. That hedge hog is adorable. My daughter had one in her flower garden when they lived in England.
    Now, about that table, I love it! Oh, I hope you can get it.
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia :)

  • NurseChessie

    Looove the table. the bench would be cute ...IF... you could put it on wall near the table, not tucked under. how the hell are you gonna get the rest of the money? your sexless, so whoring it out won't work... you could donate some boobage to a flat chester... you could sell rocky for meat... Curious to see how your gonna raise the dough.

    love ya
    chessie

  • SG

    I like that table set but is it large enough for your family dinners? Extended family that is.

    Adorable hedgehog! Love him! What a face on that dog! lol.

    I'm so happy you sold the fishtank. Are you taking donations for your table set? Kidding!

  • SG

    Did I post my comment three times? I got stuck and couldn't get out!!!!

  • Sue

    come on up and bring Jill cuz she offered to shovel!! YAY!! The star is just a country accent, nothing weird or satanic LOL!

  • Picket

    Hey girl....you could make friends with anybody ...you are just that lovable! That table is gorgeous girl and I think the bench just makes it fantastic! Congrats to Jimmy for all his hard work to get in shape....I have got to get some more of this off me...I'm getting to old to carry all this extra 'ham' around! lol Hope you are loving your new place sweetie!

  • Lori

    I love the table... A friend of mine had a hedgehog when he got mad he would try to stick you with those things...

  • xinex

    Love the table and chairs, Justine! Hope you get it soon. And the hedgehog is so cute! Jenna sounds like a real nice person. I am glad you got to meet her...Christine

  • Tootsie

    love the set!
    they had hedgehogs at school the other day...I am so not brave...I cried all the way to my truck. Rodents are rodents...and I thought I would like a hedgehog...until they reached it out of the cage to me!
    my kids were embarassed....
    Not just that..but On Friday Brayden was threatened at school by a kids with a knife! They are in grade 4 for goodness sake! I have been a very busy mom ...hope all is well at your house right now!

  • Cathy

    That was a flat out great story..thanks for sharing. Thanks for the time capsule..you were the first and only so far.

  • jill jill bo bill

    LOVE the table with the bench. And please know I will never ask you to bring any of your critters, Ellie May. You and Jill come visit, but no non-homosapiens.

  • mrsben

    Sounds like you may have found your kindrid spirit. The Hedge Hog is so darn cute and its about that adorable pooch.

    Oh girl LOVE that table and yes the bench is definitely a 'must have'.

    (and...oh ya, Jimmy is looking good.) {{{Brenda}}}

  • Raxx - A day in the life

    If your flag thingie shows I'm here often it's the only way to get to my blog!! I cant access it!

  • Four in Costa Rica

    That hedgehog is really, really cute!! I can't imagine having that many animals. Whew!

    Christine

  • Buffie

    OMG, I want a hedgehog now! How utterly adorable!!!! AND OOh la la, Jimmy's lookin' smokin' too! :)

    I love that dining set, I'd rather have something like that than what I have...

    Buffie ;)

  • me

    Awwwww the hedgehog is SOOOOO cute! :)

    Love u! *hugs*

  • Unknown

    I love the table and now I want a hedgehog. That is the sweetest thing I have ever seen!

  • Lisa (aka) French

    Well I am happy you have had luck with Craig's list i on the other hand ain't got shit (lol) then again I had some pricey equipment on there that most people aren't looking for...thinking I might have to start looking around for things to sell really soon....loving the table not sure about the bench part but it's kinda quirky and unique like you so it's perfect;) French xoxox

  • Lavender Chick

    Love the table and the bench! Like everything about it. Also like that hedgehog! Oh Lord - that's all I need, another animal!

  • Four Paws and Co

    Love the dining set! Congrats on selling the fish tanks, now what are you going to sell? Great post! Jenna, the pup & hedgehog are awesome! ☺♥☺

  • cindy

    Love the table and chairs! Looks like you made a new friend too! Cool!

  • Anonymous

    What a great post, I loved it. All those critters are not for me, but she sounds so perfect for you. Nice that she dropped out of the blue for you. I love the table and chairs you picked out.Have you almost got your house done?

    Love Ya,
    Chris

  • Michael

    Love it!!!!

  • Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net)

    Your comment on Shelia's Pink Sat. post made me laugh out loud! :-) Love the little hedgehog...what a cutie! :-)