Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What Possessed Me to Interview My 'Tween?


I saw this cute mother/daughter interview on Dawn's blog, Dawn's Diversions, and decided to give it a whirl. I can only plead temporary insanity. What would possess me to interview Mikayla, my 11-year-old-going-on-25, with the hormonal attitude of a 15-year-old? And why couldn't I just leave it at that? Why did I then decide to interview sweet, yet dippy, 7-year-old Madison? I need my damn head examined.

Let's see what we've got here.

1. What is something mom always says to you?
Mikayla: "Bite me"
(Okay yeah, this really puts me in a good light right at the get-go, eh?)
Madison: Clean your room. Clean the family room.
(I'm mean like that.)




2. What makes mom happy?
Mikayla: When us sisters aren't fighting.
(That's true, but that's the best she can come up with?)
Madison: Um, let me think. Me!
(Uh huh, 'tis true.)




3. What makes mom sad?
Mikayla: When family members are sick.
(True, but... BORING!)
Madison: If I don't like the dinner you've made.
(Don't even get me started on these picky eaters!)




4. How does your mom make you laugh?
Mikayla: By being a doofidork (her made-up word, a conjunction of doofus and dork). There's too much. I can't choose just one.
(Gee, thanks Mikayla. You're a peach.)
Madison: If she tickles me.
(What a brilliant mind, eh?)

5. What was your mom like as a child?
Mikayla: Pretty.
(Okay, now the kid is acting like the smart child I know her to be)
Madison: I don't know! How do you think I'd know that?
(Fair enough. It's not like she knew me then.)

Yes, that's really me!


6. How old is your mom?
Mikayla: 39. No. 38. You're turning 39.
(Whew!)
Madison: Uh, 38. I think.
(Wooooooo hoooooooooo! She's not a doofus!)

How I actually feel.


7. How tall is your mom?
Mikayla: 5'3"?
(Ooh, so close. 5'2-1/2")
Madison: Hmmm... I don't know. (Me: Take a guess) 5'?
(Okay, not too bad for a 7-year-old)

8. What is her favorite thing to do?
Mikayla: Blog, read, and email.
(She really does know me!)
Madison: She loves calling me a doobedoo, and playing on the computer.
(I'll admit, I do love those two things, just not necessarily in that order.)




9. What does your mom do when you're not around?
Mikayla: Sleeps. Cleans???
(Witch)
Madison: Sleep. I don't know what you do when I'm not around!
(Another witch.)

If only I one of these, I could do both at the same time!


10. If your mom becomes famous, what will it be for?
Mikayla: The most amount of blog posts. What? You don't do very much. It's true!
(Witch x 2)
Madison: (chewing Laffy Taffy compulsively) Singing!
(Okay, one kid says I can't sing, the other thinks I'd be famous for it.)



11. What is your mom really good at?
Mikayla: Having nice long talks with me. Cooking chicken wings.
(Okay, she scored points for the first part, but the second part puzzles me since I've only made them once in the last year.)
Madison: Typing.
(In H.S. I used to type 72 wpm. Wonder what it is now?)




12. What is your mom not very good at?
Mikayla: Singing, dancing, and math.
(Hey, I sing just fine, thank you very much! You don't want to see me dance, and 6th grade math is completely over my head. Then again, so is 2nd grade math.)
Madison: Gardening. You never ever plant stuff.
(It's too damn hot in FL to bend over a mound of wormy dirt!)




13. What does your mom do for a job?
Mikayla: Takes care of and loves her family. And the kitties.
(Awwwwwwww)
Madison: Cleans the house.
(Wait, didn't the other kid think I didn't clean?)

Unbelievable! I look exactly like that when I clean!


14.What is your mom's favorite food?
Mikayla: I don't know. You probably don't have one.
(True! I can't think of any one food that I love above all others. I'm an equal opportunity eater)
Madison: Cheese? No, no wait. I can do this better. (She rips out a fart from thinking so hard.) White cheddar popcorn.
(Okay, I cheated. I had to give her hints, and then she only said popcorn, not white cheddar.)



15.What makes you proud of your mom?
Mikayla: For always being a great mommy and for being there for me and Madison when we need her the most.
(Remind me to slip her a 10 later.)
Madison: That she takes care of me.
(Are these kids great, or what?)

16. If your mom were a cartoon character, who would she be?
Mikayla: (She laughs hysterically) I'm just thinking of your character traits. You'd be that dumb one in the background that can make everyone laugh. If you were in Sponge Bob you'd be Patrick.
(Great, now I resemble a big pink penis with eyes. Forget to remind me about the tenner)
Madison: Who's that little chicken dude that you can laugh like? (Me: Woody Woodpecker?) Yeah, him!
(Okay, now I'm another kind of pecker. Great.)




17. What do you and your mom do together?
Mikayla: Shop, talk.
(Me loves to shop!)
Madison: We go to Publix.
(Food shopping. This is what she thinks of as together- time?)



18. How are you and your mom the same?
Mikayla: We both agree that Aunt Jill is the best person to ever live. We both love to laugh and drink coffee. And fart.
(Yeah, thanks for tacking that last one on, smarty pants. And don't go blaming me for her new love of coffee. That would be the "best person to ever live" that got her addicted.)
Madison: We're both silly. And we both fart.
(Do you sense a trend here?)





19. How are you and your mom different?
Mikayla: You're in love with chickens and roosters. I think they're stupid, smelly, and gross.
(Oh yeah, that's definitely our biggest difference. Never mind the fact that I don't have any real chickens and roosters here for you to smell. Sheesh!)
Madison: I have kind of long hair and you have short hair.
(Very perceptive, my child.)



20. How do you know your mom loves you?
Mikayla: For so many reasons, but sometimes she'll just randomly say, "Mikayla, I love you." or, "Mikayla, you're so pretty." (Conceited child) Also, you have this song... "Nobody loves meeeeeeeeeeeee... nobody caressssssssssssssss", but you're really just playing around, thinking , "Everyone loves meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... everyone caresssssssssssss."
(Uh huh)
Madison: This one's a hard one. Because you call me a "sweet sweet baby" and kiss me on the nosey.
(Isn't that so sweet?)

21. What does your mom like most about your dad?
Mikayla: Either that he helped her raise two beautiful girls (again, sooooo conceited!), or that he's the one who makes the money in the house. I know it's one of them. (Both of us cracking up)
(I know it's one of them too. Heeheehee)
Madison: (whispering in my ear as if it's taboo to say) Because he's cute?
(Hmmm... maybe)






22. Where is your mom's favorite place to go?
Mikayla: I don't think she has a specific favorite place. Just anywhere that she can be with her sister and best friend, Jill, and her favorite kids.
(I'm assuming "favorite kids" includes Alexa and Gianna?)
Madison: Wal-Fart.
(Yes, that's what I call it!)

Justine and Jill, 1990




Until Next Time, Tiney

45 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said:

  • Jill

    This was really cute. Madison's answers cracked me up! So you are Patrick??? LMAO! He's so dumb!
    Mikayla made me tear up as usual! That kid really loves me!
    If only you looked like that when cleaning?! HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wait.. you never clean so it's impossible.
    Cute post.. too many pictures! LOL!

  • Life on the Edge

    This was great! I love their answers. I think I would be afraid to ask my boys the same questions because they are royal smart asses. A big pink penis with eyes, huh? I happen to love Patrick, by the way...and Sponge Bob...and Squidward.

    Things we have in common with you: We fart a lot here too. And we call it Wal-fart too, plus K-Fart.

    Kady

  • Four Paws and Co

    Ahhh, this is such a precious post! Your girls are too adorable! Loved the pictures Miss Hottie! ♥ Diane

  • Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria

    Oh Justine I could have read more of these answers...what a fun and great post today..your a good mama girl..it shows my your girls answers..May they always feel that way about you..Oh good grief when they hit 13 you might want to move until they are 25...been there done that !! hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

  • Anonymous

    I'm sure I've said this before, chips off the old block those two!

    OMG where did you and Jill get all that hair?? I think I may have had something similar but not as much as that!

    Jimmy is cute btw!

    Hi Mikayla & Madison

  • ~♥~ Monica S

    This was alot of fun!! :-) you have two lovely girls! :-)

    Monica

  • Cathy

    OMG this is a great idea.. I don't really want to know what the kids will say.. The 15 year old told me yesterday that she can't want to get her temps so she can take me...drum roll please....take me to the gyno when I'm in menopause.. thoughtful little sweetheart isn't she.. ? Of all places..

  • Rhea

    Fabulous interview! I love kid interview, they're the BEST. And your girls did a great job.

    Nice graphics as well.

  • Lisa (aka) French

    What a fun idea;) Gotta love kids and their honesty right!!! French;)xoxox

  • Amy

    I've seen a kid interview on other blogs, I need to do one too.

    This one was awesome! :D

  • ~♥~ Monica S

    I have something for you!

    Monica

  • Lori

    How fun!!! Emily and I did the same thing..6 grade math is way over my head... I can't help Emily with that... I to love the white cheddar popcorn. I eat it all the time.... Funny post...

  • Gucci Mama

    So really, if we were to write a sentence summing up how your daughters see you, it would go something like this...

    "My mom is a pink penis with short hair who's really good at cleaning and loves smelly animals."

    Your kids rock.

  • cindy

    Great post! So funny, and real! Thats why I keep coming back here! ~Cindy~

  • Anonymous

    Oh, Justiney, this was so cute! Those girls!! They're chips off your block for sure! I'm glad you and Jill are writing this stuff down. It's so cute.
    Thanks for letting me know about that napkin fold! You're the smartest one - tell that to your little darlings! :P
    It is pretty and to think you could do it. I'll bet you still can. If you do, let me know!!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

  • Michele

    OMG, that was hysterical! The things that kids think up! Yours sound like a blast to be around!

    Thanks for sharing,
    Hugz,
    Michele

  • SG

    Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

    Your girls are so cute and so funny. I think my favorite one was the question about Jimmy. Say hi to the girls for me.

  • Me

    I am one of those lurkers you hate...
    But there was no suppressing my comment this time...

    Wal-Fart!
    My Mom calls it that!
    And I think of it as that...

    Hahahahaha.
    Oh Geeze.

    You're Amazing.

  • nikkicrumpet

    There were an awful lot of awwwwwww moments. So sweet. I think your girls should get extra dessert tonight!

  • Holy Crappers

    You should ask these same questions every year, till they are grown. Would love to see how their answer change!! LOL

    #1

  • Aleta

    OMG - you are VERY brave to not only interview your daughters, but to blog the answers! I'm impressed ~ too funny!

  • Rachelle

    What great interviews! I'll have to try this with my girls when they get a little older. They are so sweet ~ the love between the three of you is very clear. Tell them they did a great job!

  • Anonymous

    OMG..................what a super great post.

    Love it......the girls are hilarious and quite bright!

  • Michael

    That is the best post ever! I love their candid responses...and I love how you didn't edit their answers. And the pics...the Walmart shopper is a riot!

  • Kelly @ Much To Do With Nothing

    Hey Justine, I've been awful these days. Our neighborhood HOA is having their elections for board members. We just moved in a few months ago, and I'm fighting mad at crap that goes on. But isn't that the case with all HOA's. I'm trying to get on the board to change things. Anyway, I was showing my friend how to post on the blog. I used a pic of her dog for the sample. I took it down right away. I can't wait to be normal again, and read all of these wonderful blogs. It will all be over Saturday. Thanks so much for stopping by. TTYL
    Kelly

  • Sara's Sweet Surprise

    I dare you to repeat an interview when they start bringing home their boyfriends! They had some pretty clever answers. Hmmm, I wonder where they get their wit from?

    Are you all moved in? Where's Rockey? I'm such a dork...It was a new episode of GHI this week. Next week is the season premire of GH...Right?

    Sweet Wishes,
    Sara

  • Sue

    Fun post Tiney! I say wal-fart market. And 5'2"?? Same as me!! I didn't know you were a shorty! LOL!

  • MARY IN SCOTLAND

    Fun post!

    I'm also an equal opportunity eater!

  • santamaker

    Loved reading this! You can put a smile on face any day! You are a great Mommy...your kiddies love you sooo much. Funny stuff, girl!

  • Mariah

    I LOVE kid interviews. How cute!!

  • Anonymous

    Hi Justiney! Thanks for popping in to see me. Oh, I forgot to tell you yesterday how cute you were as a little girl! Look at all that hair! You still are a beautiful young women. My little girl didn't have much hair! :) Look at you and Jill - you both have gorgeous hair!!
    Well, I'll see ya later allegator!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

  • flat face friends

    5'2?
    You could be a recurring character on Big People Little World!

  • Kris

    That was just the sweetest and funniest blog post I've read in a while. I love the "I (heart) to fart" photo. I need that for my boys er' young men.

    The walmart photo...hmmmmm, I'm pretty sure I've seen that lady at our local walmart. Infact I think I've seen her in every Walmart I've had the pleasure to shop.

    Have a happy day

    Kris

  • Anonymous

    Hi Justiney! What are you doing? :)
    Well, I was just to lazy to go and look for something. While I was cleaning up after dinner I had that light bulg thingy go off!
    Be a sweetie,

    shelia ;)

  • Dawn

    I don't know what was funnier - their answers or your responses!! LOL. I'm glad you did this with them!!

    What is it with kids and farts?!? LOL

  • Stacy Uncorked

    How CUTE! Love your daughters answers! Some great 'awwwww' moments and some definite LOL moments! ;)

  • Tootsie

    love it!!!! where is my last comment? hmmm....perhaps I didn't publish it? who knows. you really have some special ladies in your house!

  • mrsben

    What a super post! Number fifteen speaks volumes as to not only how you score as a Mother; but who you are as a person. It is quite all right for you to do a Rooster strut, as you have reason to be proud of yourself. (I ain't going to criticize you girl....smiles.)

    Re number one, I use to threaten my kids that I'd send them to the dungeon (our basement) and tie them up and give them thirty lashes when they were fighting/arguing with one another. (Nowadays I guess that would warrant an investigation by Child Protection Services.)

    Oh that photo of you in number five is precious. Such a picture of angelic innocence. {{Brenda}}

  • Lavender Chick

    You're going to have to have a part 2 on this one! Hilarious! I want more!

  • xinex

    Ooooh so cute and precious!..Christine

  • xinex

    Uhhmm! What happened to my comment? Anyway, how precious and how cute! I love their answers. They are just darling kids!...Christine

  • nikkicrumpet

    Hey woman...post something...I miss you!

  • Anonymous

    Now THAT was pretty cool!

    You come up with those questions yourself or is it copied from that other chicks meme?

    That Wal-mart chick is HOT!

    P.S. I.Heart.Patrick.

  • NurseChessie

    The best answer was Mikayla saying that you clean... really, do you clean? lol. oh and the bite me answer. so true.
    love ya
    chessie

  • NurseChessie

    I saw a suggestion for part 2 of this? that would be totally fab, but do it with questions by bloggers. Do it!
    loveya
    chessie