Sunday, December 21, 2008

Flour Up To My Pits!





Yep, I'm completely flour-whelmed, but just had to check in and say hi to all my blogging buddies, and tell you what I've been up to.



So far I've made the most creamy, artery-clogging New York cheesecake that I've been making for quite a few years now every Christmas. If I don't make it I'll never hear the end of it from certain people. This year, instead of a fruit topping, I'm going to make fresh whipped cream, and possibly lightly dust it with red and green sugar sprinkles. Before I baked it, I swirled red and green food coloring into the batter, so if all goes well, when I cut into it, it should look really pretty.

I made quite a large pan of fudge, which I thought I'd screwed up, but Mmm... it tastes fantastic. It's not quite as creamy and gooey as I'd like, but I think I may have gone a tad over the soft-ball stage, which would explain it.

I made the layers for my famous Peppermint Fudge triple layer cake, and as happens every year, only half of each layer actually comes out of the pan. Must remember to line the pans with wax paper next year. These deliciously spongy, moist fudgy layers will be topped by fresh whipped cream, flavored with crushed up peppermint candies and white chocolate. The final step is to make a semi-sweet chocolate ganache, and pour over the top. Oh, this cake is sublime. I just wish I could eat it! But once again, if I don't make it, my very life is threatened, this time from Jill.

At this moment, I have my petit fours coated in chocolate and flash-freezing before I cut them into pretty little squares. Its' the most simple, easy recipe, but a bit of a bugger to get all together.

In a few minutes I think I'll start a triple batch of butter nut cookies. Have you ever had these? They're little, very dry, but melt-in-your-mouth balls (heeheehee... I said balls), with chopped hazelnuts, and coated in powdered sugar. Oh my, they are so good!

Still on the list to make: Bridget's German Spritz butter cookies with a peppermint filling. Oh my, they look so good, but I hate making cookies with a press. Talk about a pain in the ass! I'm also going to make cream puffs, and fill them with an eggnog pudding. Sounds yummy, right?

Hopefully between now and Christmas Eve I'll find the time and the inclination to take pictures of all my confections. All I can say is, thank goodness for my big-ass Kitchen Aid mixer, or none of this crap would be getting done. Well, I must leave you now and return to my baking duties. Dust the flour off your hands before you leave, and hey, Shelia! Don't think I didn't see you walk off with a handful of fudge!


23 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said:

  • Lisa (aka) French

    I wish I was so inclined to do some baking it's something I actually enjoy rather than cooking;) Maybe I'll squeeeze something in before the big day but hell i still have friggin shopping to do!!! Housecleaning, wrapping, preparing for the Xmas eve party we have every year and so on!!!! Just checking in periodically trying to stay on top of it all and failing miserably (lol) Hugs French xoxox

  • Anonymous

    Shoot, Justiney! I can't get by with anything. I dearly love fudge. Girl, you are amazing! I didn't know you could make all this wonderful stuff. I do hope you'll take pictures of your creations!

    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

  • Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity

    You have been one busy girl. I would love.. one of those big-ass kitchaid blenders. I'd love to see pictures of your creations.
    Hugs, Terrie

  • squawmama

    Woo Hoo... Mz. Betty Crocker.... everything sounds so incredibly good... how about the recipe for that peppermint layer cake... It sounds so yummy... and yes I want pictures... and a care package... YUMO!!!!
    Have a great baking day... Love YA

    (((HUGS)))
    Donna

  • Bridget

    I'm packing my bags for Florida, save me a petit four.

  • Anonymous

    Well little Suzy Homemaker, after the rush is over post that recipe for the peppermint cake.Sounds so yummy.

    Love Ya,
    Chris

  • Kathy

    Sounds like you have been major busy, I am drooling, these sound so good, I love peppermint, looking forward to the pics, have fun, Kathy

  • Michelle

    Ok..I want to come to your house to have some of those yummy deserts. They sound wonderful. I don't bake much. You sound like quite a baker.

  • nikkicrumpet

    WOW how very BETTY CROCKER of you...I'm mucho impressed!!!! All that and gorgeous eyebrows too!

  • Rhea

    hahaha you said balls. heehee

    I'm impressed with all your baking. I've baked some...those pre-made cookies from the grocery store. SO SAD, I know.

    My mom's going to teach me how to make delicious chocolate turtles though as soon as my sister arrives in town. We'll have some awesome family cooking adventures at that point. And my grandmother's in town also, the world's best baker EVER. Her caramel cake is TO DIE FOR!

  • Gucci Mama

    That ring on your doorbell Christmas day? Just me. Ready to eat my fill.

  • Life on the Edge

    Wow woman, you have sure been busy! I want to come to your house to visit and get some of those wonderful confections!

    Kady

  • Anonymous

    Oooh my teeth are tingling at just the thought of all that sugar!

    I like the sound of the peppermint fudge cake though - will it keep until Easter? I could call in and collect a slice?

  • Anonymous

    That wasn't fudge.

    EEEWWWW!!!! Did I just say that?

    You're sending me samples right?

  • Sue

    ok Martha, who woulda guessed you could bake like a professional!! You are putting us to shame, I haven't baked one single cookie but I do have plans to make BOXED brownies and BOXED gingerbread cake, oh my poor neglected family... Have the merriest, wonderfullest Christmas ever!! xoxo

  • Alexandra MacVean

    Good morning, Justiney!!! :) Hope you have a wonderful week. Say..don't suppose I could get you to bake ME a cherry cheesecake! :P Hee Hee and I'm looking forward to hearing how the Bridget's German Spritz butter cookies turned out.

    Talk to you soon.

    Love u tons!
    xo

  • Raxx - A day in the life

    Nice to see a post from you Justine, in the middle of your baking blitz! Everything sounds delish! but a little complicated for my level of baking skill.

    Post some recipeis when you get time, ok?

  • Buffie

    And you're making all of this to send to US!? How thoughful of you! You really shouldn't have! :)

    Buffie

  • SG

    Did somebody just say petit fours?????

  • Buffie

    I love rainbow petit four cakes! Awesome! I'm ready for my care package girl!

    Buffie :)

  • Picket

    Well lookie here at you...do I see a little "Martha" coming out over here! lol lol I had no idea you were so June Cleaver! lol lol I am so impressed girl....that list of goodies sounds fantastic but pray tell why didn't we get some recipes or a scratch & sniff patch on here! You go girl! Merry Christmas to you sweetie! ♥

  • Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria

    Justine girl...this all sounds so yummy!! you do have my address to ship me some don't you??and I perfer over night shipping also..don't you love your Kitchen aid or as Shelia would say can you love a Kiten Aid? hope you have a safe and blessed Christmas with your family...hugs and smiles Gloria

  • Anonymous

    Morning, Justiney! Are you still baking? I'm sending you the most wonderful Merry Christmas wishes for you and your family! I smile everytime I pass my tree and see my little Note Songs ornament. Thank you again, my friend.
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)