Monday, January 4, 2010

And So The Holiday Continued

So we wound down from our Christmas Eve party earlier than ever this year.  Without the multitude of heavily drinking friends our house was cleared out by 11 p.m.  Unheard of!  All that was left was our little family and Jimmy's parents, who were staying the night.

Once we were sure Madison was asleep it was time for Jimmy and I to play Santa, with Mikayla sitting at the top of the stairs as lookout in case Madison woke up.

The girls let us sleep in until at least 7:30 (yawn) and are always so good about letting me grab my coffee and have one cigarette before the ripping and trashing begins.  They had a great time opening their loot and both were incredibly happy with every single thing they got.

And of course Strudel (on a leash for our own protection and hers) got in on the action too!  I took some video of her opening her presents because I thought it was the most adorable thing.  She worked on this gift for a good 10 minutes until she'd ripped off nearly ever piece of wrapping paper to get at her stuffed babies inside.  You would think a dog would only do this when there was food hidden inside.  Not so for Strudel Doo!









A few minutes later she was still at it!








 The girls, both totally thrilled with what they'd just opened.  Mikayla, an iPod Touch, Madison, a Razor scooter.


Soon after, it was time for my in-laws to leave and time for us to head to my brother's house, nearly 2 hours from here.  Things were so calm when we first arrived, and then my sister-in-law, Pat's, family descended upon us!  It was a full house but lots of fun.

The kids got more presents...





 


Pat leans over to give Gianna a kiss.  Awwww.  Her cousin, Donna, behind her and her aunt Connie on the couch.










Anything from Aeropostale was well received this year.





Ah, but the excitement in the air was palpable.  Look at the expressions of pure joy on their faces!



To me, Jill looks like she's finally given in to the fact that I will constantly stick a camera in her face.  Jimmy, on the other hand, kinda looks like he wants to kill me.

And then there's Dad, looking like he'd rather be sleeping.




Then again, maybe he was sleeping.  Ya know, with his eyes open.  It happens.  Freaky, but it does happen.



I spent some time out back by the pool to smoke.  This is the view into my brother's screened porch, then into the family room, and beyond that into the kitchen.  See that potted pineapple plant right next to the screen door?  It pricked heeheehee... I said prick me in the ass at least two times when I was going through the door.  Ow!





It was time again to corner Jill in the kitchen.  Oops, didn't realize I had it on video, but I'm so glad I did, because the next thing I know, my brother lets out this ridiculous Santa-like laugh and there's no way I could have described it.  Why was he laughing?  Because one of the young cousins (although at 13, come on) thought onions grew on trees.  I shit you not people!









A little while later, while standing in the kitchen with Jeff and Pat, I noticed a bit of a fire in the oven.  I didn't announce it though, instead just calmly said, "Hey Pat, do you have any baking soda?"

Pat:  "Yeah, right there in that cabinet near your head."

Me:  *Grabs baking soda and hands to Pat.*  "You might want to throw some of this in the oven.  It's on fire."

Pat:  "What?  Holy shit!"

Jeff:  "What?  Holy shit!  Don't open the oven door!"

At this point I nearly laughed, because it seems my brother was under the impression that if we opened the door and fed oxygen to that tiny fire there would be a fiery explosion of epic proportions, not unlike those seen in the movie Backdraft.

Me:  "Open the door and toss some in."

Pat:  *Opens the door and throws some in.  Closes the door.  Opens the door and throws some more in for good measure.*



I wish I could show you pictures of all the yummy baked goods we had there, but unfortunately, my pictures came out lousy.  So, you can't see the homemade butter cookies, or the Italian honey cookies or even the cookies driven down from NY by one of Pat's relatives.  The only pictures I have is of these...





That there is Jill's very favorite dessert.  The almost-holy cannoli.  Oh my, that totally rhymed.  I was good and only had a third of one.  If I didn't have hypoglycemia I probably would have snarfed up the whole plate.  Of course, I would have had to fight an angry mob of hungry Italians to do it and believe me, that would not be pretty.





Pssst! If you love me, you might love my stupid sister more. Go visit her at Jill's Believe it or Not, and tell her I sent you!

26 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said:

  • Gucci Mama

    I totally want to be a part of your family gatherings! They look like so much fun!

  • Ginger

    I wish I could see the video of Strudel and her gift, but you know my slow computer won't let me get in on the action.
    How fun for the girls to have 2 Christmas's. Looks like they got some cool gifts.
    I can totally see the joy on Jimmy and Jill's faces. I think they are actually talking under their breath. Too bad you didn't have it on video when you took it, you might of see their lips forming a few words that I can't repeat. lol
    Had to laugh over the fire in the oven story. I did the same thing at my last house, and I was afraid to open the oven door.
    So the potted pineapple plant was playing grab ass, huh? I bet it hurt like a cactus.
    Enjoyed seeing your family and how you celebrate Christmas. Pops looks totally thrilled about another holiday celebration. lol.
    Where was mom?

  • Cathy

    OMG...you crack me up... oh and don't forget the kids.. that is a classic.

  • Liz Mays

    Awwww...Strudel loves Christmas presents! Ok, Jimmy really did look like he wanted to kill you! Now, I want to try some cannoli myself!

  • Deb Price

    I just found your blog 2 days ago...you are a hoot! You have so much fun...and your family looks like they do, too! Glad the oven fire was put out...he really thought it would exploded if you open it?! Your girls are gorgeous! My youngest is 10, but looks about 13...kinda scary! Glad you had a great Christmas! Thanks for sharing!
    Deb from Indiana

  • cindy

    Looks like you all had a lot of fun!..You may not believe this but I have never had a cannoli!...not sure I want to if they're as good as you say...I may never stop eating them!

  • Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide

    Looks like you had a great Christmas with family and friends. Aeropostale goes over well in our home too. Cannoli..mmmmm... haven't had one of those in ages.

  • raxx a day in the life

    I love your brother's santa laugh, lol, it really sounds like santa lmao!


    Jill looks pretty in the video, your bro has a nice home.

  • Anonymous

    omg!!!!1 the videos are adorable!!!!!!!!!! The dog is too funny, the children are beautiful!!!!! The man looks like he is maybe ....ummmmmmmm.... BELCHING!?!?!?!? LOL Your siter and her man look SO excited to be having the picture taken hahahahhaha What a good looking family! WTG JUSTINE!!!!!!!!! thanks for sharing!!!

  • Unknown

    Hi Justine,
    Happy New year! Sorry I have not left a comment in so long, I have been wicked bad on ready my blogs as facebook has sucked me in. I love that you shared your Christmas with us, you family seems like a blast. I love the video's of the puppy head opening his present. I was cracking up about Onion tree's, hahaha too funny and not to mention the oven fire as that is something I would totally do. Are you on Facebook? If so send me your link :)
    Tabby

  • Anonymous

    Lol prick in the ass!!

    I love cannolis!!!

    Can't watch the videos from my phone...
    Sounds like a CrAzY holiday though! I thought I had it bad!

  • Tootsie

    my dog does the same thing...she loves presents!!! how cute is she tho...sitting there with her gift...what a doll!
    I am glad you guys had a good time...and Jimmy does look a little serial killer -ish...lol
    Keep your ass off the plants Justine!!!! I had a pineapple once...it grew a little friut...but it took forever...they are really slow growing and sharp...lol...I bet that felt good! ha ha!

  • Rachelle

    You have an awesome family Justine! Your get togethers look like so much fun! Your girls are gorgeous and I loved seeing Gianna too. Thanks for the laughs and sharing your life with us!

  • Jill

    I so want to run away from this family! HORRIBLE pics of me and the video... Oh boy, do I wish I was back into blogging so I could get you back!

  • Claremont First Ward

    I can hear that East Coast in your voice. Bet you were ready to slash that prickly pineapple. I got an Ipod touch too, and I LOVE it.

    I'm so glad your Christmas Eve party was so manageable this year.:)

  • bj

    Glad you had a great party, Tiney..
    It looks like everyone was having a wonderful time Christmas..well, except for Jill and Jimmy..:)
    Glad the girls got the things they wanted...hope you got a wow present, too !! You sure deserve one.
    hugs, bj

  • roy/elisabeth dean

    love the pics, love stru and REALLY love canoli! I wish we lived closer together.
    I'll email you later, just don't seem to be on the comp much lately.
    ♥,Lilly

  • xinex

    Happy new year, Justine! I haven't been here and my, your dog have grown so much! And so have your daughters. Mikayla is a young lady now and is getting so pretty ....Christine

  • Grand Pooba

    Is a Christmas Eve Party really a Christmas Eve Party without the drunks?

    Ok so you finally found them skinny jeans you were after, at aeropostle? (I'm not going to check that spelling) I bet they weren't 12 bucks. I win!

    That pic of Jill and Jimmy? Hilarious! I'd hang that in my bathroom if I were you.

    Strudel is so darling! She was determined to get at those stuffed animals! I love that you even wrapped a present for her, we just stick them in a stocking and call it good.

    Damn pineapple plant.

  • Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria

    What a fun family you have girl...can I join?? I mean come on PLEASE !! girl I loved seeing stud opening his gift just how cute is that fur baby going to get...Loved this post my friend...Many Blessings to you and your crazy family this coming year...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

  • bj

    You said prick !

    I am really wanting to see more photos of your living room...any chance? I'm seeing red curtains (i love it) and looks like a black and white stripe sofa..? and...i just wanna see more of my friend's room!!;0

  • Michele

    Ya know...if I start walkin now, I might be there by next Christmas....

    Hugz,
    Michele

  • Sara's Sweet Surprise

    J...are you sitting down? I don't think I've ever had a cannoli! Very tragic, I know.
    I better have a talk with the Italians in my fam and see whats up with that! Maybe I should try to figure how to make them. Are they made with a Pizzelle maker?
    I can see how eating them would be a spiritual experience.
    I love your videos!! Stru was soo cute. Looks like she had a great time with the unwrapping too.
    I had an interesting Xmas...I'll have to email you that story.
    Thanks for sharing your Christmas.

    Sweet wishes,
    Sara

  • Kristen

    OMG I want one of those cannolis! And I love the pic of Jill and Jimmy...too funny! Merry Xmas!

  • thatgirlblogs

    Hello? Knock-Knock is this thing on? It's me, reading you! I would like to be adopted by your family immediately, so pass the canoli!

  • NurseChessie

    okay so I'm only 4 days late... holy cannoli? did you know that: Ferraras bakery in NY sells T-shirts with a pic of a cannoli and the phrase Holy cannoli??
    what else? oh that Jeff Laugh cracked me up. Hope you guys had a great holiday. really makes me sad to see how big the kids are and how much I've missed.
    later
    chessie

    p.s. Jimmy looks like he's going to flip out and kill you in that pic. lol