Friday, April 24, 2009

I'm Nearly Speechless. I Said NEARLY!

You all know my sweet, almost-8-year-old daughter, Madison, correct?

This sweet, innocent child.



The one who did this last year.

Her favorite things in life? Mastering the monkey bars, reading any book to do with animals, watching Animal Planet, making Power Point slide shows, and listening to music. Not just any music, but rock. And not just any rock band, but Nickelback. For Madison, the sun rises and sets on the asses of these four guys.



Now mama here is not a rocker. Unless I'm stuck in the car with Jimmy I just don't listen to it. But Madison? Any time she has the chance she's got her MP3 player stuck in her ears. Daddy's fault of course. He's even uploaded all of Nickelback's songs on there for her.

So is it any wonder that I wasn't aware that one of Madison's favorite songs is titled S.E.X.?

Another song she loves is Just To Get High. This one she was curious about and asked me what it meant. I listened to the song and told her that Chad (lead singer) was telling a story about losing his best friend to drug use. I explained to her that he's telling this story so people will understand that using drugs can not only ruin their own life, but those of the people who love them. She got it. I thought it was a lesson well learned.

But I did not know about S.E.X.!

Yesterday, she asked me if she could go out front and use chalk on the driveway. I'm all for artistic expression, so, "Sure Madison! Have fun!"

This morning as Mikayla was taking her bike down the driveway for her ride to the bus stop she found something interesting. So interesting that she came back in the house to tell me about it.

"Mommy, have you seen the driveway?"

"No, why?"

"It looks like Madison was writing out song lyrics and there's a word out there you should see. Bye!"

Once she left I waddled outside to see what she was referring to.

I almost wish I hadn't.

This is what I found.



For those who can't make out the words, it says:

Gotta be somebody
Sex
I'll come for you
Animals

What the bloody hell? I looked up the lyrics of S.E.X. and that ain't them!

So I did some more sleuthing, and thank God! She was just listing the name of songs on one particular album. But still. Should my almost-8-year-old be listening to this stuff? Is there any way to stop her now that her father has gotten her completely smitten with the band? So much so that Wednesday night they were at Nickelback's concert, where Madison stood in awe for 2 hours straight.

Can I take that away from her? No way! She's an innocent and doesn't know what sex is, so she listens to those lyrics with a completely different frame of reference than you or I would. At least for now.

Excuse me while I go hose down my driveway.

And take a Klonopin.






Pssst! If you love me, you might love my sister more. Go visit her at Jill's Believe it or Not, and tell her I sent you!


43 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said:

  • Bird Shit

    LOL that is so funny!

  • Ronda's Rants

    OMG...I remember those days...
    Don't wory Mama it will be okay...Madison has great parents who will talk and love her through!

  • Cole

    My favorite part is Mikayla's quick exit after telling you to check out the driveway! Hahahaha

  • Denise

    Man o man, that's funny. I remember when my now 15y/o actually listened to the words of Reba's song Fancy. That one wasn't easy to explain LOL

  • Bridget

    Well I've already given you my two cents on this issue. I think Jimmy has royally screwed up as a parent! Sorry if you are reading this Jimmy but really!!!! Madison is seven. She needs some guidance from her parents.
    Mikayla's way of handing that was quite funny!

  • Kris

    I haven't heard the song S.E.X so I'm not familiar with the lyrics, but I think you did a wonderful job explaining the lyrics to "Just To Get High". It's hard enough explaining to your teens issues that they will face and have them understand, but an 8 year old is even harder when dealing with issues of sex. Good Luck, I'm sure whatever decision you make will be the right one for her.

    Have a happy day

    Kris

  • Michele

    OMG that is too funny! I like them too...but not that much! I picked up their new CD for Glenn..and we were both like "what the heck"...the song names were a little "out there"!!!

    Hugz,
    Michele

  • roy/elisabeth dean

    When my older girls were little, they were obsessed with Sir Mix a Lot's... BabyGotBack! So, they were always singing "Love that juicy double", "My anaconda don't want none, unless you got buns hun", etc! They didn't even know what the lyrics meant, not to mention they inherited my dreaded disease of noassatall (NO ASS AT ALL), so to hear them singing about big butts was hysterical! Those girls grew up to graduate college at the top of their classes and are STILL good people. Song choices at her young age won't mark her....she obviously gets plenty of positive guidance from her parents. Let's face it, if you didn't let her listen to the music she wants, she would find it elsewhere AND she would be even more obsessed because it would be a forbidden fruit. Hang in there....every stage passes quickly!
    Have a wonderful Friday~
    ♥,Lilly

  • Jessica

    Oh, my I am right there with you with my 9 year old son....i must go home and dicect his mp3 player because he has been downloading his own musical fancies while at his fathers house...and He loves Nikelback!

  • Ginger

    I thought little girls were listening to the Jonas brothers or Miley Cyrus...I am out of the loop, don't know who this group is, but it sounds like their songs are a little old for young people.

  • Cathy

    What about "something in your mouth"..yeah even our 16 year old goes..wow!!!

  • Swirl Girl

    Thank god my 9 year old still thinks sex is the box you check off describing gender (as in male or female) and nothing else.

    I'd love to see you explain that one!

  • Rachelle

    Love Mikayla's quick retreat! Try not to worry too much ~ maybe next week Madison will focus on another band. Hang in there!

  • Anonymous

    Hahaha!!!!!! *GASP*

  • Shauna

    LOL! Hope you have a super weekend :)
    ♥ HUGS ♥

  • ~♥~ Monica S

    Well.. .just wait.. I was thinking today that it's NOT easy raising teenagers, and teens to be... tough job! They are so sweet and innocent.. NOW they want to know everything about adult life... Oooy.. it's not easy being a parent!

    At least you can explain WHAT it is to the meighbours.. if they comment!
    Have a great weekend!

    Monica

  • Sue

    All I can say is I'm so glad my kids are grown! Its so hard these days raising kids amongst the evils of movies full of sex and cussing, music full of fuck this and fuck that! I told Kim she better stop listening to Howard Stern while Amelias in the car, can you imagine when she comes out with fuck one day! I'm not a prude but damn things are sure different from when I was a kid! Good luck sweetie! Oh and BTW, I'm a rocker so I can't say anything about Jimmy and Madisons band choices!!

  • Tootsie

    DEEP BREATHS JUSTINE....DEEP BREATHS.....you know I would have been passed out in the driveway....

  • Shannon

    My girls are just 6 & 8... and both have recently asked all for all the Hannah Montana and Jonas Bros songs be taken off their iPods. They want Rihanna, Christina Aguilera and Pink instead.

    And ask my youngest what her fave song is... she'll tell you "Minority" by Green Day.

    Check out the lyrics to that one, if you don't already know them.

    Sigh.

  • Jason, as himself

    Holy cow, thank goodness that was just a list! Can you imagine?

  • Ginger

    I commented earlier but I don't think it went through to you.
    I'm not familiar with this rock group, but I thought girls Madison's age were listening to Miley Cyrus or the Jonas Brothers. But what do I know. I'm so glad my kids are raised and on their own. Not sure how I would handle this. Good luck....lol.

  • Rhea

    hahaha

    I say go the honest route. Explain what sex is, roughly, and then explain that some words make grown-ups uncomfortable to hear from little kids. :o)

  • Anonymous

    OMG............sorry, but because it didn't happen to me with my 10 yr old daughter I am LMAO.

    She'll be fine. You are a wonderful mother and will make sure she is healthy and balanced.

    Love,
    Kiki

  • Lisa (aka) French

    ROFLMAO!!!!!!! hehehe he and so it begins....French;)

  • Cathy

    That little puppy did look like a rot but he's actually a Yorkie.. 7 lbs instead of 70...my kind of dog..

  • nikkicrumpet

    ROFL...I love the order in which she listed the songs....You can't even plan something that funny!!!

  • xinex

    I remember those days, LOL! It's been a long, long time ago though. Your daughter's so cute and so innocent!..Christine

  • Life on the Edge

    That is too funny! At least the neighbors probably didn't know anything about it this time. I did something much worse when I was around her age. Some troublesome neighbors wrote Shitty Shatzers on our sidewalk in chalk. This made me so mad that I thought I would retaliate with the worst word I knew, though I had no idea what it meant. I just knew it was bad...so I wrote Fucker Cliftons in crayon on their sidewalk. My mom made me go take a scrubbrush and a bucket and clean off their sidewalk. Julie Clifton totally got away with what she wrote on our sidewalk, and to this day, I don't think that was fair, lol.

    As for Nickleback...can't stand the guys! Their songs are really suggestive and some of their lyrics are awful! Not sure I would want even a 12 year old exposed to much of them, but I leave that up to your judgment. You know your kid the best.

    Kady

  • Michael

    The best part..."and take a Klonopin." LOL.

    Ok, so Nickleback is a little edgier than Barney or Sesame Street, but let's look at the positives. She shows passion for music at such a young age (fosters in creativity) and it's a relationship builder with Jimmy...a mutual interest that they will share in always.

    And not to mention, great laughter for all of us :o)

  • Anonymous

    The neighbours were probably half expecting something like this - after having your kids begging on their doorsteps not so long ago!!

    We had an episode a while back when Alexander typed in 'Boobies' into search while on the Cartoon Network website. He'd been on there a while before we noticed. His little eyes were popping out of his head.

  • Stacy Uncorked

    That's too funny! Well, maybe not for you... ;) I'm just glad Princess Nagger hasn't shown any interest in getting her own MP3 player yet, even though both myself and hubby each have one... Right now she's all about the theme song to Code Lyoko and Making Fiends...hopefully she'll keep it mellow for a few more years... ;)

    Like someone else mentioned - at least she's showing a passion for music, and if you were to ban certain groups or songs she'd just find them another way. At least now she's asking you questions about the lyrics - great job explaining "Just Get High"...you ROCK! ;)

  • Carolynn Anctil

    That's hilarious! I would love to have seen your face.

    NikkiCrumpet sent me over here for a peek. Glad I did.

    Good luck with the little one...Rock on!

    Carolynn

  • Lavender Chick

    Well see - since I'm not a parent, all I can do is laugh at your expense.....

    HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!

  • Cinder Rail'lee

    I have something for you..

    Please stop by and pick it up..

    rules are .. you MUST pass it on!

  • AndreaLeigh

    maybe since this is a daddy daughter thing, you could have your husband have a talk with you about the lyrics. she might have questions about them, who knows.

  • Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide

    One of these days when she does understand "S.E.X", she will laugh about that song and how she thought all along they meant something else. HA!

    We try so hard to shelter our kids, but in reality it is in their everyday life. The most important thing to do is teach them YOURSELF about the facts of life, when you feel the time is right. You sure don't want them learning it on the streets.

  • Anonymous

    Hi Justiney! Oh, my goodness. I think I'd go right now and punch Jimmy in the stomach for allowing his tiny girl to listen to this music! You may not like me anymore after this comment! Since I don't have any kids at home anymore I don't know these bands. But this sounds way too mature for an 8 yr. old!

    When my son was in high school, he was into heavy metal. There were a few bands that were so bad I refused to let him have the tapes at home. Told him if I found one of THOSE tapes in his room, I'd throw it away. Well, being the wonderful mother I am, while snooping around (yes, I believe we are allowed to do that within reason) I found one of THOSE tapes and threw it away. He never mentioned it.

    Justiney, Dear One, Madison is only seven and I don't think she should be listening to this sort of music. She'll learn all of this stuff sooner or later, but there are some things we can control especailly the music our children listen to.

    I'd have a long talk with Jimmy and have him have a long talk with Madison and tell her he really jumped the gun in allowing her to listen to this music! Bad daddy! Bad daddy!

    Oh, Justiney, I love you, Darling and hope it all works out!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

  • Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer

    Please stop by my blog and my Three or More Tuesday post.... I have an award for you..... Make sure you pick up the right award... I selected it just for you! Thanks! ~ Susan

  • Tootsie

    I know I am wasting my time with the police thing....but thought I would at least try...as if I didn't I would always wonder...what if? lol
    OCD pretty much summs it all up! lol

  • jill jill bo bill

    That is flippin' hilarious!! Thank God she is so innocent because if there was any doubt I would be scared for you!!!!

  • Four Paws and Co

    YIKES! They grow up so fast!

    Hmmm, did you check for new gray hair yet???

  • Patina

    Good STUFF! I*HEART*YOURBLOG.

  • mrsben

    You know Mom (Justine) 'tis just the beginning'. (Thank goodness my kids are raised...ha, ha.)