Friday, December 18, 2009

Merry HanuKwanMas

Maybe I'm wrong to be annoyed by the following, it's definitely possible, but the fact of the matter is, I am annoyed and therefore felt the need to talk about it.

Lately, several people on my Facebook friends list have been posting their updates with the following message:

Don't wanna hear happy holidays, or season's greetings, if you can't wish me a "MERRY CHRISTMAS", then don't wish me anything at all! If you agree and believe in Christ, copy and paste this as your status! MERRY CHRISTMAS from our house to yours .

Now, you bet your ass that I believe in Christ, that I love him as my Savior and that Christmas is all about Him.  I love being told "Merry Christmas", as I'm sure most of you do too.  

But.

Of course there's a "but" in here!

Are there not several holidays celebrated in the month of December?  Two others that I'm aware of are Kwanzaa and Hanukkah.   Why should we as "Christians" assume that this whole holiday season is only about Christmas?

Saying "Happy Holidays" is not undermining our own personal beliefs and traditions; it is encompassing and respecting other people's beliefs and traditions and letting them know that what they believe is just as important, and their celebrations just as significant as ours.

So yeah, I find it mildly offensive to see a "Christian" write, "If you can't wish me a Merry Christmas, don't wish me anything at all!"  Not exactly the best Christian attitude to show if you ask me. 

On Facebook I left a reply to one of these messages saying, "How can a stranger tell what holiday you celebrate just by looking at you?"  There was no reply, of course.

So, sorry peeps, but if you're a complete stranger to me and you've not decorated your person in Christmas trees and reindeer antlers, I'm going to wish you a Happy Holiday.  Or maybe I'll start using my new holiday greeting.   

 

Merry HanaKwanMas!!!


 

 

 

 

 

If that happens to offend you, you can take your mistletoe and stick it up your supercilious ass!

 

How do you feel about this?  Happy Holidays, or Merry Christmas?  Or does it not matter either way?

In other news, Georgie gave all us Secret Santas the OK to tell who we bought for.  I had the pleasure of buying for Kim, over at My Toes Are Claustrophobic.  Is that not the coolest blog name ever?  From her post, it sounds like she really appreciated what I sent and that put a HUGE smile on my face.  I linked her blog to that post in case you wanted to see.  This was so much fun and I can't wait to do it again next year.  A huge thank you to Georgie and Amy!!!!!




Pssst! If you love me, you might love my stupid sister more. Go visit her at Jill's Believe it or Not, and tell her I sent you!

26 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said:

  • Holy Crappers

    I live in a jewish neighborhood, so I say Happy Hanukkah, happy holidays. Some people just like starting controversary. I don't care what people say to me.

    #1

  • Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide

    I completely agree there are 3 "holidays" being celebrated,and no you cannot tell a person's beliefs by looking at them.. well.. most of the time anyway. As long as people leave my CHRISTmas tree alone.. 'cause it aint no holiday tree... I'm fine with the whole Happy Holidays greeting.

  • santamaker

    Amen, Sistah! I agree with you 100%. I think it's important that we are respectful of others' cultures and beliefs.

  • Four in Costa Rica

    Here's a shirt for you, Just! http://www.cafepress.com/+ramahanukwanzmas_sweatshirt,203212938

    :)~

    Merry Christmas!

  • KK

    True indeed

  • Anonymous

    My thoughts are this: Facebook is a social network. I avoid any discussion (even as simple as a status posting) of religion or politics. If there is someone who has a family member or friend with a problem or illness, I will extend my offer of good thoughts and prayer. I will never try to cram my beliefs onto anyone else.

    That being said, I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays!

  • Jo

    I wholeheartly agree!!! I also look at it when I say have a happy holiday it includes the whole season - including New Years. Thanks for putting yourself out on a limb and saying how you feel - it's refreshing!!!

  • cindy

    I agree! You said it all very well. Happy Hanukwanmas to you too!

  • Anonymous

    It's just me, I say Merry Christmas to everybody and what ever makes their Christmas merry makes me happy. I don't believe I have ever been confronted on this matter.

    Merry Christmas,
    Chris

  • nikkicrumpet

    I think people are fighting back because it feels like everyone is trying to take away our Christianity. It's not a Christmas tree it's a holiday tree...it's not the Easter bunny it's the "spring bunny". We can't have trees, candy canes, nativity scenes or anything else that has to do with our celebration of Christ. Kids can't sing Christmas songs in school Christmas plays...oh wait...they are now "winter pageants" "winter pageants"... I guess when you push people so far they start fighting back. I think that's what they are doing by posting that message. I think people should be a little more sensitive to how THEY feel too. We all want to be inclusive...and in being sooo inclusive we've become the exact opposite!!! If someone wishes me a Happy Hanukkah I'm not offended..I just smile and wish them the same back. But I hate it that it has become "politically incorrect" to wish me a Merry Christmas. As far as Kwanzaa goes...I don't think most people even realize that it was started in 1966 by Ron Karenga who was in prison at the time. He invented the holiday because and I quote..." It is an alternative to Christmas, Jesus is psychotic, and Christianity is a white religion that blacks should shun." Somehow that doesn't seem like a valid Holiday to me....but then that's just my opinion. Now go ahead and beat me up...but I understand how they feel...I wouldn't post that statement myself...but I totally understand where the frustration is coming from.

  • Michele

    I so agree with ya...most of the time I say Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

    Hugz,
    Michele

  • bj

    Well, I was all hyped up with my answer and NIKKI CRUMPET beat me to it. I pretty much am sick of folks trying to take my Merry Christmas away..I've never been wished a Happy Hanukkah and I've never even heard of Kwanzaa..."Happy Holidays" is ok by me..I'm not one bit picky...until it comes to knocking my CHRISTmas and my CHRISTmas tree!
    When folks do that, they are walking on the fightin' side of me!!
    So, dear Justiney, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays...
    Love you!
    bj

  • Ginger

    I'm agree with what Chris wrote, I say Merry Christmas to everyone. I am not offended if someone says "Happy Holidays: to me.
    I will go over to your secret santa and see what you sent her. I sent out my package the first of December to my secret santa partner, but so far, haven't gotten anything on my end. Kinda disappointing.

  • Rachelle

    No offense taken here...you go girl! I like your Merry HanKwanMas idea!

  • squawmama

    Well I like both Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays... Always have used both since I can't remember when... It is sad that so many places are banning the use of CHRISTmas in the traditional ways. So Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to you and everyone!!!

    Love & HUGS
    Donna

  • Swirl Girl

    Well said Sister!!

    You're right - you can't tell a book by its cover, so to speak.

    So Merry HanuKwansMas to you too!!

  • Tootsie

    I think you bring out a very good point!
    I just hate that they have to have a big drama over everything these days.

  • Alexandra MacVean

    I agree with you, Justine. I do have to say that I am annoyed at seeing more and more that "Merry Christmas" cannot be said, but the other holidays can be. What right do any of us have to eliminate ANYONE's holiday celebration? Especially this time of the year when it is supposed to be "peace on earth".

  • Unknown

    I say Happy Hanukkah during Hanukkah, Kwanzaa starting the 26th, and Christmas along with them, since they bookend Christmas usually.
    What drives me NUTS are cards that say Seasons Greetings or Happy Holidays and then have Santa or trees or other Christmas symbols on them. I've even seen one with a nativity picture saying Season's Greetings!!
    I can handle SG or HH on a card, just pick out the right picture!

  • As Cape Cod Turns

    "If that happens to offend you, you can take your mistletoe and stick it up your supercilious ass!"

    That may be the best statement I have ever heard! I may use that today.

  • Julie D

    I love any post that can use the words "ass" and "Christ" in the same sentence!!!!!!

  • Anonymous

    That is annoying. I haven't seen any of those updates. What's wrong with people? Why can't they just be open-minded and compassionate to the fact that our country is blessed to have a plethora of religions and cultures?

  • Jason, as himself

    HA! My sentiments exactly!!!! Very well said, Justine.

    And by the way, thank you for the very cute Christmas card that you actually mailed to me. That was awfully thoughtful.

  • bj

    Buttermilk pie...just buttermilk, eggs, sugar, vanilla...that's about it. They are good..like a Chess pie. My son in law loves them so I try to make him one at Christmas....:) awwww!!

    Tiney, when all 18 of us get together, as we will on Christmas Eve, we do paper plates, paper napkins, red solo cups...the whole "throw away" thing...I got much better things to do than wash all those dishes!! ha..I'll take a photo of our C. Eve table so you can see we do the same as ya'll !!
    hugs!

  • Kristen

    People should be able to say Merry Christmas w/o offending anyone. The same goes with Happy Holidays. Why is it offensive? So Happy December to you!

  • Lavender Chick

    Whatever anyone wants to wish me is fine by me. None of that stuff offends me... I say Merry Christmas to those that I know celebrate Christmas. If I know for a fact that someone is Jewish I will say Happy Hanukkah. I don't know why everyone these days have to be so sensitive about everything!