Sunday, November 1, 2009

My Answers, Part One

Ooh bloggers, it was so fun reading your various questions! I'll probably split my answers up into a couple of posts, 'cause you know how I tend to go on and on.

Several people asked this same questions, so I'm lumping them all together.

Jill (Kiki): I want to know why you don't write a book.

Cole: You have a lot to say. Have you considered writing a book?

MJ: .i also think you should write a book....you are hilarious...or a radio show.

BJ: Have you EVER thought of writing a book?

Since I started my blog in May of 2008, I've been asked this question more times than I can count. And I'm still puzzled by it too. What is it about what I write here that makes people think I'm qualified or good enough to write a book???

And seriously, what would I write about? I'm solely read fiction but I don't have the creativity or the imagination to write a novel. Just the thought of how much research goes into just writing a trashy romance gives me the shivers.

Believe me, I would love love love to write a book. It's just not in me, unfortunately. I think I have to settle for writing the fluff that I do, here on my blog, about day to day crap that goes on around me.
Next, we have a question from my good friend, Alicia. She pronounces it "Alisha" because she's weird. Ain't it supposed to be "Aleesha"? I'll just stick to calling her Yaya.

YaYa: What's the best thing about having a sister?

I don't know what the very best thing is about having a sister, but having Jill as a sister? She's just an amazing woman. I don't think I could come up with what is best about having her as a sister because it's all good, it's all the best.

She is my best friend, my confidante, my shoulder to cry on, my ear to whine into (constantly, believe me), my cheerleader when I'm down (although I don't let her wear those short skirts), the voice of reason when I've gone a bit mental, (again, something that happens quite often), my hero when I need any kind of saving, a person to look up to as a mother, even though she's 6 years younger, the one person who can easily make me wet my pants without even trying (she's stupid, remember?)... how was that for a run-on sentence? And oh! She's a kick-ass cook too.

Someone (oops, forget who!) just sent me this a few days ago, via email. It states how I feel about my sister much better than I could ever convey.

About Sisters... "She is your mirror, shining back at you with a world of possibilities. She is your witness, who sees you at your worst and best, and loves you anyway. She is your partner in crime, your midnight companion, someone who knows when you are smiling, even in the dark. She is your teacher, your defense attorney, your personal press agent, even your shrink..." ~Barbara Alpert
Cole had a few more questions:

1. You're from NY. How did you and Jimmy pick FL?
2. Who picked the girls' names? You or the hubby?
3. If you had to pack up and move tomorrow - where would you like to move to?

In 1990 the various Ferraras starting moving down to Florida. My brother first, followed by my parents with Jill and I. I was engaged at this time and only spent a short time in FL with the family. Then I temporarily moved back to NY to plan my wedding.

In 1995 Jimmy finally landed a job that was somewhat in his field of study and we moved to NC. We were there for about 2 years before he got another job offer, this time in the tiny town of Smithfield, VA. I so wanted to be in FL with my family but it obviously wasn't meant to be. Or was it? Jimmy's second day on the new job in VA, us living in the Smithfield Inn (interesting history there. Built way back in 1752!) temporarily, and his boss asked him if he'd be at all interested in taking over their Plant City, FL plant. What????? OMG, I cannot even tell you the excitement I felt at this point. I was pregnant with Mikayla then and this offer was like a gift from God. I would be having my baby and be living in the same state as my family!!!

Naming the girls, I must say, was a total bitch. Jimmy and I could not agree on any name for Mikayla. One day, we had my brother and his wife, Pat, over for the day. My brother, Jeff, made us crack out the baby name book. He got to the M's and said, "I like this one. Michaela." Jimmy and I looked at each other and it was like a light bulb turned on. We immediately knew that was her name. So, Jeff is really the one who named her, but we chose the spelling. Her middle name is Rose, after my paternal grandmother. Alexa, Jill's oldest, also has the same middle name.

Pregnant with Madison I really wanted an unusual name. I was tossing around names like Sonoma, Willow and the like. Jimmy refused all of my funky names and I finally gave up and gave in to Madison Grace. Would you believe I'm still in a funk over giving her such a common name?

Hmmm... where would I like to move if I could pack up tomorrow? That's a really hard one because there are so many places I've never even visited but would love to spend a year or two living. Mostly snowy places. Maine, Colorado, Utah, Vermont, Washington, San Francisco. I think if I had a chance to move anywhere in the US I'd have to throw a dart at a map. I couldn't choose!
Pam, from MJ's House of Slobber asked:

but hmmm i wonder if you ahve ever been to canada...and what is your favorite middle of the night nobody is watching snack...and what embarasses you


Nope Pam, I've never been to Canada, although I would love to some day. I've got quite a few blogger friends that are Kanucks and would love to meet them!

My favorite snack to eat in bed (which drives Jimmy insane) is Wise white cheddar popcorn. My favorite part is the little bits on the bottom that you have to pour into your mouth. Mmm... pure salt!

Ooh girl, it takes a hell of a lot to embarrass me. But ya know those times when you say something without thinking first and it's just the wrong thing to say? When it's so bad you can actually feel all the blood draining from your face? And wish like hell you could either go back 5 seconds or just kill yourself on the spot? Yeah, that kind of shit embarrasses me and thank goodness the last memorable time I can recall was about 10 years ago.

What happened? A whole bunch of us were hanging out and one of the couples present had just gone through a horrible time with infidelity. It was when one of them made a sexual joke and I said, "Ooh, are you getting more lately?". That was the worst faux pas I'd ever made. Open mouth, insert entire leg. I did not mean more sex with someone other than the spouse, but that's exactly how everyone took it, if their frozen, glassy-eyed stares were anything to go by. I wanted to melt right into the floor.
Well kids, I think that's it for this installment of burning questions answered. There are still quite a few more I need to get to, but I'll save it for another time so as not to put you all to sleep.


Pssst! If you love me, you might love my stupid sister more. Go visit her at Jill's Believe it or Not, and tell her I sent you!

18 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said:

  • Anonymous

    Wah! I never had a sister!!!!

  • Cole

    Is it too late to trade JC in for a sister? Probably, huh?!

  • Liz Mays

    I'll say you made a faux pas with that one! Oops!

    I love my sister like you love Jill. You're just so lucky that you can talk to her all the time though. My sister is literally a workaholic.

  • Tootsie

    wish I had a sister like that too!!!
    hope you have a good week!

  • Cathy

    Great answers..

  • Cathy

    Okay,,,I didn't take 200 pictures of myself but a lot while G was driving. I prefer to be behind the camera but since I had my Mary Kay Orange Crush lipstick on {for Halloween of course} I thought I would try to get a good pic.. no such luck.

    Chipotle is awesome. I couldn't eat it everyday but once in awhile I crave it.

  • Raxx - A day in the life

    Good stuff, I cant believe I can still learn new things about you! I've been reading your blog like, forever!

  • Rachelle

    What a great tribute to Jill - you guys are so luck to have each other! And I think your daughter's names are beautiful.

    P.S. I cant believe you left Nebraska off of the list of places you would like to live! lol

  • Michele

    Love it! I miss my sister so much...we had the kind of relationship that you and Jill have. Will you adopt me?

    Hugz,
    Michele

  • Ginger

    I never had a sister either, just two brothers who always did things together and left me out. BooooHoo.
    That's really neat how Jimmy was offered a job in Florida of all places.
    I like both names you picked for your girls.

  • Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria

    Justine...I just wished I had a sister all Brothers for me 3 of them...tell me I wasn't spoiled ha ha!! Girl I love the cheese pop corn and eat it while I blog and now have ornge keys on my board ha ha!! great answers my friend..and come to Calif mountains you would love our snow...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

  • Gucci Mama

    Well, that was fun! I've considered doing something similar, but I'd get like one question and then sink into this horrible depression because nobody likes me. Ha.

    I love the names you picked for your girls, by the way. They're unique but not insane in an idiot celebrity type of way. I mean you could have gone in an "Apple" type direction and then I couldn't even pretend to be a fan.

  • Mayhem and Moxie

    Such a great tribute to your sister, Jill. You two are very lucky to have one another.

    Oh, and about your writing a book, MOST definitely. You are brimming with things to say that others will want to read. :)

  • Sara's Sweet Surprise

    You're observations and writings about life...is exactly how the famous writer Erma Bombeck created her literary career.

    I would love to live by my sis, until then....
    Thank Heaven for free mobile minutes!!

    (singing) ♫ Getting to know you,
    ♫ getting to know all about you.♫

    Sweet wishes,
    Sara

  • wendy

    Great things to know about you
    and of course I AM your favorite Canuk friend ---right?????
    and I love my sister too, we are lucky

  • Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide

    I think you should give the book thing a try.. can't hurt.. you just never know! Two Sisters Comedy!

    Mmmm.. I love White Cheddar popcorn.

  • Unknown

    sisters are the BEST I dont know what i would do without mine...what a fun lil q&a session justine-

  • Grand Pooba

    Well you know I could solve your indecision in choosing where you'd like to live.

    UTAH.

    There, done, the dart has hit the map.

    (I love your daughters names! If only I can associate the right name with the right girl!)