Saturday, November 21, 2009

A Stroke of... Well, A Stroke.

Some of you may have noticed I don't think anyone noticed that I've been MIA the past few days.  I wish I could say it was because I took an impromptu vacation but unfortunately that wasn't the cause of my absence.  You see, late last week my mother went to her general practitioner, complaining of a horrendous headache and sporadic numbness on the left side of her nose, lips, chin, and hand.  Her doctor basically brushed off the symptoms as something unimportant and scheduled her for blood tests the following week.

When I spoke to Mom the following day and she described her symptoms and also told me she'd been having them for several days before seeing the doctor, I told her to go to the ER immediately, do not pass go, do not collect $200... just go!  Her answer to me was, "I'm just not feeling up to going to the ER tonight.  If I feel this bad tomorrow I'll go."  Ugh.  My mother is the most stubborn woman you could ever hope to meet and had I been able to reach through the phone I probably would have slapped her. And not on the numb side of her body.

Long story short, she did go to the ER on Sunday and was admitted.  After a million test were done the diagnosis was that she'd had three TIAs (mini strokes) and one significant stroke in the frontal lobe behind her right eye.  They also found evidence of past strokes too.

Luckily (???) the area of the brain this affected does not impair speech or affect motor skills.  This is more the memory part of the brain.

After two days in the hospital we finally convinced her to have them give her a nicotine patch.  My mom has been smoking since about the age of 12 and has no desire to quit.  But guess what?  She's doing it!  I promised her that if she did it, I would.  Gulp, gasp, waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

So, mom is home now, under the very watchful and Hitleresque eye of my dad.  Jill was sweet enough to come and pick me and the girls up on Tuesday so I could be with everyone.  I only stayed two nights but it felt so good to be there, supporting my mom.

Jill and I did squeeze in some sister time and took a ride to Lake Monroe to hunt for gators.  Wow, there were tons!  Unfortunately, they were so far out in the lake that even at 16x zoom you can barely see the little boogers.

This guy was actually huge!

Click to enlarge



To fully appreciate the enormous size of this guy, I pointed out the location of his tail compared to his head.  Wow.  BIG.





We also took a quick trip to a new state park so the kids could play on the playground.  This tree was absolutely amazing, but the angle I got of it you can't fully appreciate how enormous it is.




There's a protected springs area and oh my, it was just so beautiful it nearly took my breath away.  Look at the color of that water, the beauty of the old oak reaching out over it.
















Poopy Pants had a great time going down the slides with cousin Mikayla.







Did you notice Mikayla's hair sticking out all over the place?  Sometimes static electricity is a blast!

Now don't be fooled into thinking our day was all peace and serenity, because get these four kids in the car at the same time and you're bound to leave it with your ears ringing.

Case in point.




I wish I could say that's as bad as it ever gets, but boy would I be lying!

So now I'm home, Strudel is back from our vet's uber cool kennel and she's looking so gorgeous from her mandatory $33 bath.




At this moment Jimmy and the girls are on their first ever camping trip.  You might ask why I'm not with them.  Three words should do it.   

Sleeping in tent.





Pssst! If you love me, you might love my stupid sister more. Go visit her at Jill's Believe it or Not, and tell her I sent you!

25 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said:

  • Gucci Mama

    It is very fortunate that the damage wasn't more extensive considering her idiot doctor sent her home in the middle of a stroke.

    Are you really quitting or are you just going to smoke on the sly now?? ;)

  • Anonymous

    Hope your Mom continues to recover. Can't wait to hear the posts of the days ahead w/quitting smoking!

    Sleep in a tent? NEVER!!

  • Cole

    I'm glad that your mom finally went to the hospital. Given that she's had prior strokes - it sounds like she's doing well. That's GREAT!!

    I don't blame you. I've slept in tents before. Never, ever again!

  • raxx a day in the life

    Wow! Imagine having strokes and not even knowing it! yep, your mom has to make some serious changes, I was happy (to say the least) to hear that you would quit along with her! Wonderful!

    The spring is beautiful!

  • KK

    I hope she's getting a new GP!! Glad something good came out of it. Good luck to you both on quitting!
    I don't do tents either!

  • cindy

    I'm with you on the tenting thing!Good luck quitting smoking! Glad to hear your mom is back home and recovering. Take care, Cindy

  • Secondary Roads

    Praying for your mom and wishing you both good luck on the smoking cessation. That was the hardest thing I ever did.

  • Kristen

    OMFG! They are so frigging loud! I hope you paid them to be that loud while camping.

    I am sorry about your mom. Thank god you kicked her ass through the phone. So you both are quitting smoking? Looking forward to the bitchy non-smoker to come out. Those are always fun...

  • Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide

    Sorry to hear about your mom, but glad she is ok for the most part. Good for both of you for giving up the smokes.. you can do it! Girl, I am NO CAMPER either.

  • bj

    Gosh..I am so glad they found out that your mom needs MEDS for this problem. Strokes scare me lots more than heart attacks !!
    I, too, smoked from an early age..18, until about 65. Now, that's a long, long time. But, I decided to quit one day and never looked back. Not even once. Didn't take one thing to help stop..didn't depend on gum..nothing..notta..zilch. That has been almost 7 years and i have not one time, wanted a cigarette.
    YOU CAN DO IT, TOO...!!Good good luck, Tiney.

  • Anonymous

    Justiney! I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom, but so glad she half way listened to you and went to the ER! This is scary, I know! I'm so thrilled to hear she is quitting smoking and honey, you too! My dad smoked all of his life and tried and tried to quit, but one day just sat those cigs down and never picked them up again. He got to where he couldn't stand to be around the smoke. You'll all be in my prayers and I'm so glad you got to go and be with your family and be by your mom's side.
    Hope your little bunch have a great time camping!
    The photos of the water and trees are so lovely. Now I didn't want to see those gators! They scare the almost poop out of me! See! You're rubbing off on me! :)
    Have a wonderful blessed Thanksgiving, Justiney,
    Shelia ;)

  • Anonymous

    I've been thinking about you and your Mom this week. How scary. I hope she's feeling better soon.

  • Ginger

    I'm so glad your mom finally went to the ER. Her doctor sure blew it by not sending her for tests right away.
    The quitting smoking is not easy. My hubby is doing it with Chantix, but every once in awhile he sneaks a cigarette. Don't know if he will ever completely quit.
    Glad the girls and Jimmy are camping. Hope they are having fun.
    I don't do tents either. Shoot, we have an RV and don't even do that anymore.
    Glad you found time to hang out with Jill, and see some alligators.
    Those things scare me.

  • Amy K.

    I hope your mom gets well soon! My best to your family.

    Nikki and I don't put up with screaming in the car. If it gets that bad that taking away dessert and things like that don't work... well, one time I pulled the car over and just glared at them, telling them that we'll stay right here until they shut the hell up. It worked! ;)

    I hope the kids will be okay with Jimmy, but then this is not the place to get into that...

    Hugs!

  • As Cape Cod Turns

    Poor mom and poor you!

    Love the slide hair!

    And your pictures of trees!

    And I am not one for tent sleeping either! Way to send them on their merry way!

  • Unknown

    Your mom is the third person that I've heard of this week that has had a stroke. One of them was a friend of mine who had one in September and didn't know it and then another on Monday. Like your mom, she didn't think anything of it. Glad that you were able to drag I mean, convince her to go and get checked out.

    Looks like the weekend has been great.

  • Cathy

    Sorry to hear about your mom. I'm glad she got the care needed.. I just hate doctors.. They overlook major issues all the time and it's not right.. someone once told me that's why they call it a "practice".. well all I have to say is go PrACtiCE somewhere else. The video is great too..

  • Ronda's Rants

    I hope your Mom continues to improve and I am so happy you are going to quit smoking....Yeah!
    Struedel looks lovely!

  • Rachelle

    I'm so happy your mom is feeling better! Yay!

    P.S. I would never sleep in a tent either!

  • Tootsie

    I'm glad to hear that your mom didn't suffer any huge damage...and hope she wins that smoking battle...that is a very hard thing to do!
    glad you got to hang with Jill and the kids...hope things get easier for them and for your family.
    Hope the kids have fun with Jimmy!

  • wendy

    Man, after looking at the crocodile photo and the "swamp" I had this sudden urge to do a Tarzan yell.

    THANK GOODNESS YOU MOM WENT TO THE ER. they tell us all the time that ANY kinds of symptoms as she was having need to be addressed right away. With strokes, time is of the essence. I am glad she is ok.


    and I think Krystn about has my new blog design ready to go

  • Liz Mays

    I'm so sorry to hear about your mom! I'm glad it was minor, but still....


    The pictures at the park with the water and trees are gorgeous!

  • Cathy

    I don't live on a farm.. a zoo sometimes but not a farm. Down the road is E's house/ a horse farm. I went over with the boys while they road dirtbikes.

    Oh, I haven't smoked since LAST Sunday.. yeah.. I am border line nuts right about now. but doing okay.

  • Michele

    I'm so glad your mom is home...and good luck with the quit smoking thing...Glenn has been trying now for 5 years...even on the prescription meds, and he can't do it. I just don't think he wants to...lol!

    Strudel looks so adorable...mandatory huh...sheesh...and $33????

    Hugz,
    Michele

  • Grand Pooba

    Ok, you're mom's doctor should be FIRED!

    (Love Mikayla's do) And do you seriously expect me to push play on that vlog after you said my ears would be ringing afterward? No way.

    I want Strudel, can I have Strudel? Dozer needs a girlfriend. That picture makes my heart melt! Talk about puppy eyes!