Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Is There a 12-Step Program for This?

Farm Town on Facebook.

It has to be one of the silliest "games" I've ever encountered. But me? I'm addicted. BAD. Last night I couldn't sleep, wondering how my grape fields were doing.

When I booted up my computer (okay, Madison's) this morning, the first thing I did was check on my crops. My grapes had withered away and died during the night. Gasp. Sigh.

Here's a shot of what the average farm looks like.

Mine actually looks better than that, and I've only been at this a few days.  Just sayin'.

And when your crops are ready to be harvested, it's best to hire out some farm hands to do the work. You make more money this way. So, everyone gathers at the Marketplace to beg for work. Gotta make more money so you can plant more crops, buy more animals, set up fences, paths and, my personal holy grail... a BARN. Which I don't have yet dammit.



It all looks and sounds quite silly, right? Well, that's 'cause it is! But let me tell you, a bunch of my neighbors here are doing it, and now they've got me doing it, and now I've got others doing it, and it's just... well... a sickness!

All I can think about is getting to the next level so I can buy more profitable seeds (I need coffee and pumpkin seeds to feel complete!), make tons of coin and expand my farm. I want a barn and a silo and a horse, and a llama and...

And...

Oh my GAWD, I really have lost it, haven't I?

Is there a 12-step program for this?

Hello, my name is Justine and I'm a Farm Town addict.


Okay, deep breath.

Step 1) Step away from the computer.
Oh sorry, can't do that, 'cause I'm typing right now.

Step 2) Keep away from Facebook entirely.
But what will my neighbors think? I have to at least update them a few times a day so they'll know I'm alive in here, right?

Step 3) Sell your farm to your nearest neighbor.
Are you crazy? I can't do it. I won't do it!

Step 4)
Ya know what? There is no step 4, 'cause I'm the one making this shit up and I refuse to be helped. No, I want to go down and be mired in the muck. I want to get my cyber self dirty and sweaty while workin' the farm. I can't give it up and you all can't make me! Am I hurting anyone? No! Is having a farm altering my moods or pseudo sanity? No! (Okay, that remains to be seen).

So that's it. I am here to declare that I am Farmer Justine and I am a functioning Facebook Farm Town farmer!

Oops, must go. I think my wheat crops are ready for harvesting!





Pssst! If you love me, you might love my sister more. Go visit her at Jill's Believe it or Not, and tell her I sent you!


38 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said:

  • Bird Shit

    my friends are so obsessed w/ this game.

  • Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide

    HA!!! That is so cute! I am on facebook, as in set up an account with name only, but I have no profile or anything, I am just not into it. Weird I know, cause so many are. Have fun.. err.. I mean step away from the computer! HA! ;)

  • MARY IN SCOTLAND

    Oh I have so many friends addicted, and trying to get me to use it. I have my Webkinz farm, and I'm addicted enough to that!! I don't need another one! I'd never get off the computer!

  • Secondary Roads

    All: Hello Justine.

    I'm still trying to get over Roller Coaster Tycoon.

    PS. Jill sent me.

  • Anonymous

    Good Morning Farmer "J". I hope the crops are looking up!!!!! :)

    oxoxoxoxoxxo
    Donna Marie

  • Bridget

    You are crazy! I'm not going anywhere near one of those farms. I have enough trouble staying away from the computer already!
    This reminds me of Katie with The Sims. She spent many a summer taking care of her people.

  • Ginger

    I don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. Okay...I know there is a game, but I haven't seen it on facebook. Probably a good thing I don't know, or I will have another addiction, worse than blogging.

  • Cole

    Oh, lordy! I'm glad I'm not the only one addicted!

    I'll need to add you as a Facebook friend!

  • Life on the Edge

    This is why I avoid the online games, lol. Hey, do you want the real 12 steps, cause that's what my last job was all about! Sometimes I miss my job, sometimes I really don't miss it at all!

    Kady

  • Sue

    OK I admit I don't have a friggin clue what you are talking about but the whole apple green and pretty ocean blue goin on here is just so damn pretty!!! Have fun miring in the muck! xo

  • Gucci Mama

    Sooo...I'm sure you have a "good" reason for why I'm not your facebook friend. So I'd like to "hear" it, if you please.

    Oh, and so you know, I "suck" at "computer" stuff, including "online" networking and how "websites", um, "work". So that would be my excuse.

    Kiss kiss.

  • Ronda's Rants

    I dear God...I can't get addicted to another thing...coffee and freecell are my downfall!

  • Grand Pooba

    I too was once addicted to facebook. Not the whole farming thing but still...What cured me?

    My work blocked the facebook page.

    Stupid IT department!

  • MJ's doghouse

    i can never figure those games out..i just have a messed up brain..lol..i hope your farm does well....and it is just as fun as your blog....i enjoy reading yours and your sisters...good work...

  • Unknown

    I'm totally dense to facebook so I'm not sure where your farm is and how to go and visit it! LOL Have fun cropping!

  • Lynn Kellan

    Dang. Now I'm tempted to investigate this Farm Game thing. Will you provide an alibi for me when my hungry family discovers that I'm still staring at the computer instead of making dinner? :)

  • Anonymous

    Yo Farmer Justine!!! You should try to get Dave into this.....he did just plant a topsy turvy ya know!!

    Kiki

  • Beckie

    WHY AREN'T YOU MY NEIGHBOR YET!?!?!?!
    I am sooo addicted to this horrid game! So add me to your facebook and then add me as your neighbor! LoL. I'll help feed your addiction! (beckie Guerra to search under btw....) LoL.

  • Picket

    Justine!!!! I have missed you girl! I feel like I have been away for ages....love the new look over here and that farm Game sounds like fun!!!! We get excited about anything growing around here...after losing Maggie...I have kept myself busy and started alot of new projects...one being planting a little mini garden for the Bailey & Sofie...we have cucumbers...watermelons...tomatoes and morning glorys and 4 o'clocks..we checked our little seeds everyday and they have came up and our new tomato plants have little tomatoes on them!!!! Bailey just left...he came up with his flash light and we had to go out to see if the plants had grown since this morning!!!! lol lol

    I just wish I had paid more attention to how to grow a garden when I was younger....give me some baby chickens and I could be Farmer Picket in a heartbeat!

    Thanks girl for all the love and kindness about my little Maggie..it is still hard but at least I can now cry and laugh in the same day..just so good to visit you girl...have a great week!

  • Lisa (aka) French

    I'll stick to Euchre;) French

  • Anonymous

    I'm not judging. I've stayed up late to play Webkinz arcade games many a night.

  • santamaker

    Love your new blog decor, so happy and bright! Girl.... don't know that game and maybe don't want to, if it's that addictive!

  • raxx a day in the life

    Tiney I just might check that game out, I love games.

    But I hear your 'cry' for help, even though you dont really want it!

  • Cinder Rail'lee

    LOL, you crack me up! I'd farm with ya, but, uh- I deleted my facebook.

    Just harvest enough for a bottle of wine. LOL

  • SG

    Um... uh... Pathetic!

    Why don't you go plant a REAL vegetable garden in your backyard!!!!

  • Anonymous

    Lol! I haven't played this! But I have been known to get addicted to webkinz games!

  • xinex

    LOL! That's funny, Justine! I used to be addicted playing Scrabble on line. I couldn't wait to get home from work to play. At least what we're addicted to does not cost money, like playing on gambling sites, right? I hope you make more money to buy your silo, barn and whatever else you want to buy...Christine

  • nikkicrumpet

    It sounds like one more thing I need to NEVER EVER try. I need a new computer addiction like I need another hemrroid!!!

  • Kathy

    Oh I havent heard of this, I will have to go check out facebook, meanwhile have fun down on the farm, love your new blog look, Kathy.

  • Rachelle

    Farmer Justine you are a riot! I am trying this farm town thing but I don't quite get how to do anything! I have a cow and I planted some tomatoes today. Hope they don't die like your grapes did! Maybe we'll meet at the marketplace some time!

  • littlebear

    I've come across from Jill's blog to visit and am adding yours to my list also. I'm in Australia and I don't know this game? I love Cannoli & Strudel!! Cheers Ursula
    http://www.usedbooks-online.com
    http://www.usedcomics-online.com

  • NurseChessie

    you know what, woman?? how many invites did I send you??? and now all the sudden your in love with the farm town?? I tried to tell ya, its just plain awesome. Michael was even hooked for a month or so...
    love ya
    chessie

  • Mariah

    Are we friends on FB?? I don't go on FB too often, I'm afraid I'll get addicted. Keeping up with my blog and Twitter is already too much for me. Why are you not on Twitter?

  • Sara's Sweet Surprise

    I'm safe as long as there's no virtual chocolate involved!

    I've got such a brown thumb I'm sure it would carry over to a cyber garden.

    Sweet wishes,
    Sara

  • Anonymous

    YOU MEAN I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE?? I started with THE VILLAGE, where shipwrecked villagers have to find water to irrigate the fields, then crows came in the middle of the night and ate the seeds.....Joe didn't see me for weeks at a time! Plus I had to get online to learn the "tips and tricks" and the villagers kept having babies that needed fed and......oh, nevermind.

  • me

    Hahaha...toooooo funny! So, how ARE your grape field doing right now?!? =D

    ***hugs***

  • Amelia

    Please tell me you're not going to start whining like real life farmers do..you know ...like if it's too hot or too wet or too dry... well ..it sure sounds like you're having a great time. Take care!
    Lilsista

  • Tootsie

    okay...and they think I'm nuts...at least the plants I can't sleep over are real!!!
    lol
    sorry it took me so long to comment...I have been aching from infected cat wounds...and from yard work/play...whatever you call it!!!
    missed ya