Monday, February 8, 2010

Boundless Joy

If you are a dog owner you have probably noticed that your furry friend loves nothing more than running around wild and untethered, romping with their brethren, getting down to their true roots of being one within a pack.

The best place for our dogs to get this enjoyment?  The dog park!

Unless, of course, you live on multiple acres and have a whole crapload of dogs, then you can just stay home.

A couple of weeks ago I went along with the fam to the dog park Jimmy and Strudel love.  It's nothing fancy... just a large pond in the middle and then grass surrounding it in an oval.  Lots of room for the dogs to stretch their legs and the more aquatically inclined can get their swim on.

Look at the beautiful pit bull puppy.  Aw, they are so cute and innocent looking at this age!

(Please click the photos to enlarge.  It really pisses me off how small the "large" setting is, and how huge the "extra large" setting is.)


I tried my camera's continuous photo setting for the first time and holy crap, I didn't realize it takes a picture like every millisecond!  I had to delete no less than 200 pictures when I got home.  But, it was pretty neat to find this series of pictures, showing Strudel shaking off the water.



I was mesmerized by this one black lab named Duke.  I don't think I've ever seen a dog more in love with the water, or with as much stamina.  For a full hour he did nothing but swim out to get the tennis ball and bring it back to his human.  So well trained and gorgeous.

Mikayla got this quick clip of him.  Look at how intent he is on his human and the ball.  The other dogs are running all over the place and he doesn't even give them a glance.







Gotta love that belly flop!

Strudel has such a great time running with the other dogs. In fact, she tends to run herself into exhaustion, and once in a while she just has to plop her furry ass down and take a breather. Let the other dogs sniff her while she stretches out. It doesn't matter to her that she's stretching out in muddy water, or that it is absolutely frigid.






She reminds me of a gator the way she pulls herself along while still lying down. But then... she's off again!

Remember what she looks like after a romp in the park when Daddy has been too lazy to give her a bath?




Well, when Mommy is there she makes sure we make use the accommodations.  And don't let the picture fool you.  I basically took over from there.  Jimmy is too squeamish to clean Strudel's girly parts.



That water too is completely freezing, but at least it's clean and when she comes home and dries off she looks more like this.


And yes, she does have a leash on while in the house.  It's rarely off of her lately because with it on, when she takes something she's not supposed to, sometimes we get lucky and as she's running away we step on the leash and she's stopped in her tracks.  More times than not though, I'm made to chase her round and round in a circle trying to get whatever it is she's grabbed.  There have been some close calls when I've stuck out my leg to step on the leash and have nearly landed myself in a fat lady split.  

I'll leave you with that delightful imagery. 

Pssst! If you love me, you might love my stupid sister more. Go visit her at Jill's Believe it or Not, and tell her I sent you!

20 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said:

  • Jo

    What a great dog park - ours is just a big space! Strudel is a gorgeous girl! I love the couch pix - such a pretty face!

  • Cole

    Look at Strudel go!! What an energetic cutie-pie. :-)

    I don't always do leashes in the house... but it's pretty useful when there are visitors!

  • squawmama

    That Strudel is just too darn cute.... How can you get upset with her??? Oh I so remember the chew up everything days... We even lost a couch to a dog... Ate the whole dam bottom off!!! Have a fun day my friend!
    (((HUGS)))
    Donna

  • Grand Pooba

    Awwwwwwwwwwww! Strudel had so much fun! I think you need to buy her a brother or sister. Yep, the answer to all your puppy problems is another puppy!

    I recommend it.

  • As Cape Cod Turns

    People are a little uptight about dogs on leashes here. I sneak Gretel to the beach and let her RUN! I now know the the lab in her is the cause of her crazy tennis ball love affair.

  • Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide

    Ahh... she looks so sweet all scrunched up sleeping.. so innocent.. yeah right! HA!

  • Anonymous

    Oh, good,, Justiney! I'm hoping this means your out of your funk!! Now that little Strudel is a darling little stinker! I guess Goldens like the water like Labs do. My daughter has a Lab and he will even run and jump into a mud puddle! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

  • Sassy Pants Freckle Face

    So stinkin' sweet!

  • Unknown

    I love all the puppy pictures! It sure brings back memories when I had my black lab and german shepherd the fun we had. My lab max also Loved tennis balls his favorite thing was to hold the ball in his paws and pull all the fuzz off the ball. That video was great I love how that doggy was right on that ball in the water. What a great idea to clean them before they get home. You crack me up I can just imagine you doing a split chasing Strudel...LOL I would be right behind you doing the same things so I really shouldnt laugh, I would probably fall on my face too being all graceful and all.

  • Margaret

    It looks like she had a great time!

  • Jenny

    And a fun time was had by all!

  • wendy

    I am sure your dog had a blast out running around. Hangin with the other dogs.
    good exercise, maybe?? it'll wear him out enough to not be so destructive in the house eh.
    maybe??

  • Mayhem and Moxie

    The "fat lady split" had me almost snorting my Coke out through my nose, J. *almost* And that is an image that I will leave you with.

    You're welcome.

    Oh, and leave it to a man to give a job like washing the dog to the woman. My husband does the same thing!

  • Resh Rene`

    Well you know now that I am being educated in all things dog...well animal...I recommend a playmate too. Hahha can you imagine 2 Strudels? It would be great blog material!

    I am jealous though that it is warm enough for you to even be near the water :P

  • Cathy

    She is so cute. I do love the way she pulls herself..to funny.

  • bj

    It looks like all the dogs were having a great time. Strudle sure does clean up pretty!!
    xo bj

  • Tootsie

    I don't care how rotten you say this baby is...I don't believe one word of it! lol
    that face is way too cute to be bad!!! ha ha ha
    stay tuned for a post on Saturday...that I made because I could NOT stop thinking of you when I saw it!

  • Gayle

    Hi Justine,
    I finally surfaced and had to say hi.
    I hope you have a wonderful
    Valentines weekend. How could you not with all those sweet furry faces and your beautiful girls around you?!
    :0)
    Hugs,
    Gayle

  • Jenny

    How can Strudel have enough enery left to eat clothes hangers is what I just don't get! I wish we could take our dog to the dog park. He is obnoxiously retarded, though, and can't be nice to other dogs. He is so lonely so I wish he would play nice but it's just not in his DNA or something. When his sister was still alive he was soooo much happier!

  • Sara's Sweet Surprise

    J~ I never tire of Stru videos.
    It amazes me how much she likes the water now. I remember when she was just a pup and was fearful of all that wet stuff.
    When the kids came for V-Day they brought their friend and the dogs. We basically pup sat while they went gallivanting.
    How cold was that water? With all that sun shining it looked warm.

    Sweet wishes,
    Sara