Saturday, March 13, 2010

Sunday Scramble 3-14-10

I cordially invite you to join me each week in the Sunday Scramble.  The SS gives you a chance to write down your scattered, random, or just plain stupid thoughts.  No rules apply here.  I give you permission to write anything that's on your mind, whether it makes sense or not!



Okay, lemme know if I'm out of line here.  Each day, I bring Madison to the bus stop and then pick her up in the afternoon.  The girls' stop is half a mile from our house, as it is for many of the kids that take the bus.  So I totally understand all those moms and dads taking the time to bring their kids up there.  But tell me.  Is it really necessary to not only drive them up there, but walk them straight to the damn doors of the bus?  I'm not talking about the littles, but the kids who are 8, 9, 10, and 11 years old.

Then there are the moms that take it even a step further.  They accompany their kids on their bikes.  I have seen a some of these moms send their kids out a couple minutes ahead of them, and then they're seen pedaling like lunatics to get to the bus stop just to see their kid mount the stairs.  I watch all this, sitting in the comfort of my car, where I actually let me child walk from point A (my car) to point B (the bus) all by her lonesome.  The whole 30 or so feet.  Gasp!

Is it any wonder why there are so many children out there that are afraid of their own shadow and have no sense of independence?  It has to start somewhere, and dammit, I think walking 30 or so feet without holding Mommy's hand is a good place to start.

Okay, vent over.


Now you can tell me how wrong I am.



Yay!  Saturday night is my nephew, Jonny's, play!  I'm too excited for words.  Of course, I'll get home too late to add anything about it on this post, but hopefully I'll have plenty to say next week.



I've been rather quiet, haven't I?



Now, we must all bow our heads for a moment in recognition of TAPS  Yes, The Atlantic Paranormal Society.  My beloved Ghost Hunters.



Their little office front in Warwick, RI.




Founder, Jason, and Co-Founder, Grant


Last week they celebrated their 100th episode on the SciFi network and they investigated...

Get this...



Alcatraz!!!!





Did you watch it yet, Sara?  If not, you're in trouble!



I somehow even got Jimmy to watch it a couple of days after the fact, and I could tell that he was intrigued.  He won't come out and say he's a believer, but I know he is.  The TAPS team is so professional and at the core, skeptics.  Not like some of those other ghost hunting shows where they're finding demons behind every closed door.



Congrats to Jason, Grant, Steve, Tango, and the whole TAPS team.  I heart you guys.  And Steve?  I still want to lick the outline of every tattoo you have.


Among other things.







Call me the next time you're in Saint Augustine, investigating the lighthouse, mmmkay?


Let me just say.  I hate blogs that have music playing on them.  How can I concentrate on reading when there are words being thrown at me through my speakers?  Eeks!


I don't know how I forgot to share these pictures of Strudel with you, but I did.

They're scary, so brace yourself.

This is what happens when three people stand inside the slider and the dog wants to get in.






















































Now this is attractive.

















A short video to show you just how spastic this dog is.

Bless her heart.






Now what are you waiting for? Link up!!!





Pssst! If you love me, you might love my stupid sister more. Go visit her at Jill's Believe it or Not, and tell her I sent you!

25 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said:

  • Tootsie

    ya know...I did not see that episode of GH yet either!!! I can hardly wait!
    I do allow my kids to walk to the school bus from home now...but it took me a long time to do so...they have to go together and...sometimes when they aren't looking I lurk to make sure they are safe and not being rotten! lol
    hugs dear sista girl!

  • Unknown

    Your dog is so beautiful! I think I watched that show about the ghost hunters last night for the first time. They were at the scariest hotel in the world. The man that lived there certainly looked scary. Whenever I watch shows like that I feel nervous. I don't know why.

    People walk their kids from the car to the bus? WHAT THE HECK! I am like a super over protective mother but I let my kid walk from our door to the bus all by himself : ) Yay for me.

    Hope your week is super duper fabulous!

  • Anonymous

    I totally agree with your thoughts about the kids boarding the bus, I used to sit in my car and observe the same actions, after all these years I guess nothing has changed. About your thoughts on ghosts..NOT, you and Donna crack me up.I hope you two never get together with me, you'll probably put a spell on me. LOL.
    You know this Scramble Sunday will be great for me when I get on the road, I can write about our adventures for the week, I'm going to try and do this.

    Love Ya,
    Chris

  • Four in Costa Rica

    Personally I think the kids could walk from home to the bus on their own when the weather is nice, so I don't think you are at all being overprotective. I don't have a problem with the moms on the bikes or who walk with their kids if they're doing it for the exercise.

    So, don't these kids whose moms are walking them to the doors of the bus feel ridiculous?? Mine would shoot me a look and let me know that hey, I'm a big girl and you are embarrassing me!

    If you have never visited Alcatraz, it is really a fascinating tour. I'd love to see the show you mentioned. Maybe I'll catch a rerun in the US this summer.

  • Brianne

    You're SO not out of line. I completely agree with you. People need to learn when to cut the umbilical cord!

    I ♥ Ghost Hunters! Steve is totally lickable. I haven't seen the 100th episode! Eek! We just had to get a new DVR and haven't finished setting up all of our shows to record. I'm sure they'll play it again though. :)

    I love those pics of Strudel! Hehe! And that video was funny, "We should put paper towels and windex on her feet!" Haha!

  • Pebz ★

    oh dear, my blog has music on it. You hate me. LOL.

    My daughter is 6 & i drive her to school every day. I let her walk the 30 feet! to front door from my car every day. In fact, it's one of my favorite things to watch my little girl tackle the world every day on her own! Those parents need to get a grip!

  • Resh Rene`

    I'm BBBAAACCKKK :) Slowly but surely...it's not the scramble...although when I do link up...next week it'll be a hoot!

    The whole kid hand holding think...irrkkkss the fire outa me, I have never understood it, maybe mine just have too much independence...I've questioned my mommy skills based on some of the fruitloors...err um hoover moms...but found I like my style mucho better lol.

    And just to let you know...your doggy is exhibiting characteristics of my 3 year old niece scary huh?

    LOVE YOU <3

  • Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide

    i guess you hate me too, my blog has music. But. I get a lot of comments regarding my song choices, so that out weighs your beef.. HA! ;O)---

    Strudel.. is so cute! There must have been something mighty good on that glass.

    We have a public school bus that picks up at the end of our road. The mom each day drives her teenager to the end of the road, sits in the car, and she gets out when the bus pulls up. I'd say she would need to walk about 6 house lengths to get to it. I'm not judging, but I think she needs to put on her big girl panties, and walk!

  • squawmama

    Hey Tiger... You know I am a ghost believer like you and boy do I agree to the licking!!! As far as the bus goes I agree... Actually my girls walked to it and I never worried (to much). Loved your thoughts and now I am going back to my blog to remove the tunes... LOL LOL Have a super day sweetie!
    Love & Hugs
    Donna

  • Gucci Mama

    Strudel, you stinky puppy.

    I didn't scramble this week. James actually wrote my post for me today (er, last night I guess) because I had such. a. migraine. It's better now, thankfully, but not in time to scramble. Next week!

  • Gweny

    Oh how I'd love to run across a ghost, a friendly one though, It would just scare the pee out of me. About Strudle, I really need to borrow that pup, I need my windows washed too:). Horror Horror what a terrible mom you are I was too, I sent my kids to the end of the drive to catch the bus all by themselves and I went in, shut the door and went back to bed. LOL

  • wendy

    I think we can be overprotective for sure. I guess it is finding that balance. We need to teach them so much more about safety then when I was a young kid. My parents let me walk at night many blocks to my friends house and there was never a worry. I was never afraid......but wow, times have sure changed.
    We need to give them some confidence.

    Your dog truley is a spaz.......gotta love him.

    and you'd like to lick those tatoos eh-----ah Justine, you vixen

  • Grand Pooba

    Oh you guys are so mean! LOL!

    Let me know if that paper towel idea works out for ya!

    (Your girls crack me up)

  • thatgirlblogs

    I hate music on blogs. Why do they assume I have the same bad taste in music as they do? I have my own bad taste!

  • le Chef

    I totally forgot about the Sunday scramble; studying for finals and all.

    The dog; I actually laughed out loud.

    I'm an even worse mom; I don't even go to the bus stop, unless there's a hurricane coming.

  • Amy

    I agree! SOme parents do take it too far. Unfortunately my girls are at the age that they are ashamed to be seen with me, imagine that. So I would be like you, sitting in the car watching.

    That dog...would be strangled by now if he were mine. I truly believe that is why we don't have a pet...'cause of all the horror stories I hear! :)

  • Jill

    You should have added the pic of alcatraz that Jimmy took himself while in Cali.
    Strudel... well yuck... just YUCK!

    See I came and I did some reading, now get off my back..lol]

    I luv ya sis!

  • bj

    Oh, how cute this Sunday Scramble is..I never have such random thoughts but, I'm working on it. Oh, there's tons of things I don't really care for on other blogs but.....I don't wanna go there.
    Now..I love music on my blog so, girlfriend, just turn your speakers OFF..! It won't bother me a bit. I do it on some of the music that i don't like...I think everyone does. I know for sure that my 50's music drives people nuts but....it's ok.
    As for walking your kids to the bus when you can SEE them get on from your car..I'm with you. I never would trust leaving BEFORE she enters the actual doors of the bus. I never could feel comfortable letting my kids ride their bikes to school..(about 6 blocks away)...a lot can happen in 6 blocks. But...you situation is different..
    hugs to you, darlin' girl.
    bj

  • NurseChessie

    I think this might me the only kind of reading Jill has ever done. lol. um... what else? oh yeah, not sure about the ghost hunters stuff, BUT as a kid we went and took the boat ride around alcatraz and just looking at it was creepy. unbelievable about those men escaping years ago. if you saw the distance the would have had to swim in that water. nuts.
    and windex? I think strudel might eat the windex?

  • Moore Minutes

    Your bus story and examples made me literally LOL. Thank you for that! ;)

  • Sara's Sweet Surprise

    J~ Paul's gone to the office sooo, I've just sat down to watch it...finally. I'll be back when it's over.

    G aka Sara

  • Jenny

    I'm going to have to see when they will be replaying the Alcatrez visit. I've been there. It has weird vibes for sure!

    Your dog picture cracked me up.

    Justine, there was a lady who let her son ride the subway in New York with the same belief that you have. I agree with you. Kids have to find out they live in a world that they need to be responsible for themselves in. I say you go for 31 feet next time you park!

    Sorry about my music.

    When I don't want to listen to it I just hit mute on my volume.

    Something I wish I could do when people irritate in me general - ha!

    I may have to talk to God and see if he can add that teensy, weensy, design improvement on irritating people for my personal use!

    Have a Happy Thursday!

  • Unknown

    Those pictures made me laugh so hard! Thanks! They were awesome!

  • Ginger

    The pics of Strudel are hilarious. Our last doberman used to do that, usually right after I cleaned the glass.
    I haven't watched the Ghost show. I didn't think it would be interesting, but maybe I should give it a try.
    I haven't been to Alcatraz but my kids have taken the tour. Once during the day, and then the night tour. They loved it. It's cold and erie.
    I agree with you on the parents who walk their kids right up to the steps of the bus. Thats a little much for kids 8 and 9 years old.

  • Sara's Sweet Surprise

    J~Now I'm in the mood for snozberry pancakes.
    Don't you just love those Tap guys!!
    G