Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Fade to Black --Living to Stuffed-- ***Outdoor Wednesday***



It's time for another Outdoor Wednesday hosted by Susan at A Southern Daydreamer! After you've finished here, make sure to visit Susan and say hello, then visit the other OW participants!

Recently I bought some flowers to use on my now extra patio table. It's a fairly ugly table and having it sit in the corner all naked just wasn't working for me.

While cruising Ace Hardware, I came upon this pretty, interesting looking plant. Love the color of the leaves. And look at those adorable berries!



Does anyone know what this is? Well, I'll tell you. It's a peppercorn plant!

Who doesn't love a Gerbera daisy? Of course, a week after I potted this it stopped flowering. Dammit!



New Guinea impatien...



This next little plant is called a Crossandra "Flame". Love the apricot colored flowers.




This next one has me all verklempt, even though there's nary a sign of a bud on it. A few weeks ago, while reading Kathy's blog, Casa Dolce Casa, she extolled on the virtues of this beautiful flowering plant. She had me at "vanilla", which is what the blooms of the marine heliotrope smell like. According to Kathy and the nice nursery lady at Ace Hardware, the scent from the flowers is quite powerful, and vanilla being my very favorite scent in the whole world, I had to have one! Unfortunately, all of their heliotrope had just been cut back so no blooms for me just yet! I cannot wait until they show up though!



This next plant is one that I planted from seed a few months ago. Ugly as sin, and more than once I've threatened to throw it out if it didn't start perking up. Well, it's still ugly as sin, but just a few minutes ago I noticed it had flower buds on it. I swear, I nearly wet myself! Well excuuuuuuuuuse me, (insert Steve Martin) I'm sucking down coffee here and it doesn't take much to get me to pee!

What had better be a purple zinnia...



Now I'll show you how ugly it is. I guess I could take off those dead leaves, eh? This plant is so ugly (brings to mind Yo Mama jokes, but I don't think there are any that refer to plants) that it just sits on this here chair for now.



But even more than pretty flowers, one of my favorite things about the outdoors is bad weather. Here are some pictures I captured of the angry skies this week.

Saturday, had to stop at our golf course club house to snap these. Amazing.









I snapped this yesterday while at a stop sign in my neighborhood. I probably could have gotten a better shot, but just as I had my camera ready a car pulled up behind me. I didn't want to be rude, so I just snapped real quick and was on my way.

Today (yesterday, by the time you read this) Jill came to bring Madison home after having her for 9 days. As usual, we immediately went out shopping. While Jill and Mikayla were inside a store, I stayed in the car with 3 of the 4 kids. Loved looking at this sky.


Now you may not consider this "outdoors", but what you're about to see used to be outdoors. When they were alive.

We ate dinner at Clark's Fish Camp. The food is basically overpriced crapola, but the atmosphere is wild.


Yes, all of these animals had been alive and kicking at some point. The restaurant owner is an avid collector and has hundreds of taxidermy animals inside the restaurant.





I took this next picture especially for Picket and Ginger.
Once again, animals that used to be alive.

A sampling of what you can order for dinner. (Gulp)

And look who I found floating around beside the restaurant's dock! Look closely or you may miss him. It was Twilight and I've yet to find a setting on my camera that takes a good shot in low light. Click to enlarge!

Yes, Tiney spotted another gator. Two in just over a week! Ooh, the excitement!!!




I hope you enjoyed my Outdoor Wednesday post this week. I'm guessing a lot of you are wiping your brow in gratitude that I'm slightly less "wordy" on Outdoor Wednesdays!

Have a happy hump day (am I the only one that giggles when I say that?) and make sure to visit Susan now!





Pssst! If you love me, you might love my sister more. Go visit her at Jill's Believe it or Not, and tell her I sent you!


46 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said:

  • Cinder Rail'lee

    Girl, you seriously need to do professional work. I wish I could take a photo that good!

    How I wish I lived where I saw an angry sky!
    We have 70~106 temps and NOT A CLOUD IN THE SKY..wait..winter 70 degrees and NOT A CLOUD IN THE SKY..
    Did I mention..NOT A CLOUD IN THE SKY?

  • Anonymous

    Am I to take it that you like clouds?

    Do you think that's some secret meaning like your head is always in them or something?

  • squawmama

    Hey girlfriend... Loved all your flowers... well the one was kind of leggy but still I thought how cute like Charlie Browns Christmas tree... Very cool restaurant... what did you get??? Loved the little gator too oh and the storm clouds... Frightening aren't they. Have a great day...

    (((HUGS)))
    Donna

  • Amy K.

    I love the photos! Thanks for sharing. I noticed that there are FROG LEGS on one of those menus! Bad bad bad! There's a Cantonese/Chinese restaurant near us that serves frog legs, and Nikki (my sweetie) wants to bomb that place. Word to the wise, She might come down to Clark's Fish camp once she's finished her "work" over here. ;)

  • MJ's doghouse

    first of all....is it not only tuesday still...lol..and second of all i could never eat at a restraunt that all those animals were staring at me...and lastly i think you and your crazy sister should spend less time on life and more time blogging....some of us are bored....i cant stress that enough...you entertain the hell out of me...

  • My name is Riet

    Beautiful pictures all of them. I love the dark sky pictures. We have a lot of them in this country where it rains a lot.
    Have a great day

  • Anonymous

    Justine,

    Your flowers & plants are beautiful! The pics of the brooding sky are lovely. (I prefer good ole sunshine though... :)

    That restaurant was a wee bit different. That menu had a vast variety of OMG and EEEYUUCCKKK! Please tell me you had the chicken fingers or a burger!

    Two thumbs up for the 2nd Gator shot in a week!!!!!! :) I would love to see one!!!! Lucky you!


    xoxoxoxo
    Donna Marie

  • santamaker

    Love the flower pics and the storm ones were awesome as well. That restaurant is so cool. Would love to go some day. Do they really serve that kind of meat there?
    Your response to my magazine cover was great, glad i was able to fool you! Ouch...my face is still red from all your slaps!

  • Anonymous

    Now, I LOVED every one of those photos. And those shots of the weather, awesome. Show us a pic of your patio with all your flowers, I bet it's beautiful. more, More, More.

    Love Ya,
    Chris

  • Claudia

    My favorite days are cloudy ones.

    Yes... bright sunny days are fun -- but for me seldom produce the luscious photos i love.

    You got some great ones. :) I think i wouldve just waved the car around me had i been you. People just have to understand us people who need to shoot!! haha

    TTFN~~Claudia ♥

  • cindy

    Great OW post! Sooooo, what did you order...Ostrich fried or charred?...some of that stuff looks like the food at the wild game feed that we have here at the store. We do not however have gaters lurking in the waters nearby....yikes!

  • bj

    Girl, you are awesome with that camera. Really great photos.
    Now, what is it with you and alligators?
    Loved all your pretty flowers. I am NOT good at keeping them alive. Just not a gardener at all.
    The sky photos...great! I love cloudy, rainy days better than almost anything!
    Hope this is a good day for ya!
    xo bj

  • xinex

    Hi Justine! I really enjoyed your post. What a wild restaurant, kinda similar to RainForest Cafe. And did you have a bad storm? I think the gators are following you....Christine

  • Bird Shit

    Awesome photos!

  • Unknown

    Geesh all those pics are incrediable...and you and your luck finding lil gators...I would have freaked!!!

    that peppercorn plant is awesome-i need to get me one of those
    and my husband and son would LOVE that restaurant

  • Regina

    I love the blooms. Nice post and shots.

  • Ginger

    So that's where my white chicken disappeared to.
    Is that a real menu at that restaurant, or just a gag? It would gag me, real quick. lol.
    Love your flowers...and the pictures of the storm are pretty neat. Your camera (and you) take great pictures.

  • Amandasaurus

    I actually like the picture you took at the stop sign just the way it is. It makes me think of Pleasantville.

  • Grand Pooba

    Ok so since you've got me addicted to farming now, I could write about Farm Town and that would totally count for OW right? right?

  • Christi @ A Southern Life

    The flower and cloud pics are beautiful. I'll have to say the stuffed animals are very interesting.

    Christi

  • Life on the Edge

    I think I'm going to start referring to you as the gator whisperer since they all seem to be finding you lately! Those flowers are gorgeous. I had never heard of a plant whose blooms smell like vanilla! I may have to check that out.

    Wow, not sure how I would like that restaurant with all those dead animals looking at me! In some ways creepy, but in other ways, cool to see them up close, and you know they can't bit you or your nipple or anything, lol. And EWWWWW with some of the stuff on the menu! Not sure I'd be willing to try much of it.

    You and storms...they freak me out! Some of those clouds look they are about to spawn a tornado. That is when I really freak, lol.

    Kady

  • Mariah

    What's up with all those animals in the restaurant?? I think it would creep me out! I recently heard someone say that kangaroo meat is delicious??

    Two alligators in a week? Awesome.

  • Sue

    I liked your shots of the sky and the dark, ominous clouds... But your pics of the impatiens and the daisy made me smile.

  • Sue

    awesome beautiful shots Tiney!! Thanks for your friendship, you are a kindred spirit!! xoxo

  • Cole

    You take AMAZING pictures! What did you end up eating at the restaurant? I'd like to think I'd choose something adventurous...but that's giving myself too much credit. :-)

  • Picket

    Hey fellow farming neighbor! lol Thanks for thinking of me when you are out and about...I love chickens...but please tell me you didn't order anything off that menu!!!!! Oh my word!!!!...I just couldn't! lol See you on the farm!

  • Picket

    Hey fellow farming neighbor! lol Thanks for thinking of me when you are out and about...I love chickens...but please tell me you didn't order anything off that menu!!!!! Oh my word!!!!...I just couldn't! lol See you on the farm!

  • Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden

    Yeah, that plant in the chair is pretty ugly.
    Peppercorn plant eh?? Hmm..
    I love Steve Martin! Kevin used to work with a guy and I told him he looked like him. Turns out the guy's brother is a stand in for him, ha!!

    Cool sky pics.

    Ok, I could not eat in the taxidermy place. Just too sad. Rabbit sausage? No thanks.

    Tho I have had gater and it was good, lol!

  • Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide

    ooohh.. pretty flowers, but creepy animals. I like them better alive. ; )

  • Tootsie

    good to see you plant something real! lol
    the sky looks really scary girl. we had a few skies like that this weekend while we were racing to get off the water and load the boat. I hope you have a good week!

  • Gayle

    Just a quick hi as I'm knee deep in crap today.

    You never fail to thrill and entertain! lol

    Have a great day honeybunch!
    :0)
    Gayle

  • Lavender Chick

    Okay - I've actually been by to visit a couple of times, but there is something possessed when I try to leave a comment.... I get shut out and then my laptop freezes up. Hopefully this time is a go... Enjoyed getting caught up with you. Loved the pics! You're quite the photographer. Also, my sentiments exactly regarding that Strawbery dude!

  • Amy

    Wow! All that scrolling I had to do just to leave a comment! whew!
    just kidding!

    Anyway, I love that purdee pink daisy...... :)

  • Liz Mays

    That's probably not a restaurant for a vegetarian, huh?

    Those skies are frightening and depressing!

    Did you get my email, woman?

  • Anonymous

    Evening, Justiney! Now you are really becoming a great photographer! Love your flower closeups! This was a looooong post, like mine! :)
    Oh, now about the chickens! You're a farmerette and I'm sure you understand!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

  • mrsben

    Great photos Justine, BUT don't talk to me about dark skies. We are still waiting here for summmer 'n sunshine to kick in.

    About the Restaurant....OMG woman,
    I could NOT eat in a place like that... surrounded by the corpses of animals which were once such beautiful living and breathing creatures. Saddens me! (Also, I think they wud spook the hell out of me too.)

    Always such an adventure to visit you. Keep blogging my friend.
    Hugs, hugs -Brenda-

  • Beckie

    You are soo my favorite! LoL. I read your comment and died laughing. Then I got somber and was like, man, if she lived here I'd totally be better at telling people off. I'm in the search of a shirt that has the middle finger up. It would speak for itself, LoL. So I'm loving you Justine!! Thank you so much for the smile and for the awesome blog love! You rock my world!!!!!

  • Claremont First Ward

    Great flora and fauna shots!

    I was invited to a friends house recently......turns out her hubby is a big game hunter. Reminded me of those pictures!

  • bj

    Excuse me for interrupting (sp?)
    your FARMING but I am in serious trouble and I need YOUR help. Well, ok...it's not really SERIOUS trouble...
    My font thingy on the compose page just quit working. When I click on LARGE, it just stays on the normal. Now, I use this in almost every post and it has always worked just fine. Now, all at once, it isn't. Any idea what I might do?

  • Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria

    Justine...Girl I would have a really hard time eating in that place...OMG all those beautiful animals...I am such an animal lover...Oh girl the food, I have eaten Ostrich of course and emu and even had rattle snake and shark...Now Len paid for my trip to Texas and gave me money and gave me money to give the kids as a wedding gift...Oh and got me a new cannon powershot camera and some solar lights for outside that look like Hummingbirds...that change to all colors just beautiful..
    How have you been girl...I am still trying to rest up from my trip...it really was non-stop for 6 days for me and I didn't get home until Tuesday at 2am...so needless to say I slept all that day and been walking around like a zoomie ever since...am ready to go back just to get ahold of Kyra again...That is the best baby I have ever seen with all her health issues never cries always smiles and laughs...May you have a great weekend my friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

  • Anonymous

    Girl, I wish you could be with me too. Lots of history in this area. But hot, hot hot. 101 degrees. I don't function well in these conditions.

    Hugs,
    Chris

  • Unknown

    I saw your comment on Jason's post about Parkinsons disease and I thought you sounded like such a nice person, I just had to come over and say hi : ) And I am so glad I did! I LOVE your flowers! I also love that restaurant. It looks like so much fun! I can't imagine how much fun the kids would have there. Nice meeting you!

  • Unknown

    Oh and PS I LOVE the skies this summer. Aren't they fabulous like nothing else? I am going to always think of this summer as the summer of beautiful skies : ) Maybe I should take some pictures tonight!

  • Rachelle

    Great pictures! Beautiful flowers! I love to watch a good storm rolling in to. Awesome!

  • Anonymous

    Those animals are scary.

    And i love the orange flower!

  • Four in Costa Rica

    I love Clark's Fish Camp! Thanks for bringing back fun memories for me of living in Jax. :)