Thursday, July 9, 2009

Stormy Weather

I know a lot of people hate storms, but me? I just adore them. The wilder the better. I even love hurricanes as sick as that sounds. I don't necessarily like the damage they do and I for sure don't like having to live without electricity for days on end and, for sure sure don't like it when people are hurt from them, but... well... there's just something so elementally thrilling about a good storm.

You know how sometimes you'll just be driving along and then notice how beautiful a sunset over the water is? And how you thank God for such beauty? Well, I do that, but I also get the same feeling looking at storm clouds and zig-zagging strikes of lightning.

Growing up on Long Island in NY, it wasn't often that I saw actual lightning strikes and if I did they usually weren't the type that reach the ground, but instead the kind that zips horizontally across the sky. But usually, it was what we called "heat lightning", where the sky just lit up a pretty bright blue.

I'd consider myself lucky if I saw something like this.

Down here in Florida, storms are a bit different and a lot more intense. Did you know that Florida is considered the lightning capital of the country? More people are killed here each year from lightning than anywhere else in the United States. As a matter of fact, one of Mikayla's substitute teachers was struck just a month ago, but thankfully it wasn't fatal.

This is a better example of what a Florida storm produces.

Is that not incredibly beautiful? I'm in awe of the power and energy and the sheer breathtaking beauty of it.

And you'd think I'd have the sense God gave me and keep my ass indoors when something like that is overhead, right? Well, you'd be very wrong.

A few weeks ago we had a nice storm rolling in and I couldn't help but grab my camera and get some shots of it.





Can you see the wall of rain coming down in the distance in this next one?








I even took some video because I loved how the wind was whipping the trees around.



Another day, another storm, this time a couple of pictures taken from my back yard.





I really wish I had a video with lightning and all, but it's hard to get that without getting wet!

And dead.

Pssst! If you love me, you might love my sister more. Go visit her at Jill's Believe it or Not, and tell her I sent you!

33 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said:

  • Unknown

    I'm glad that I'm not the only one that loves a good storm. My only requirement is that I'm indoors when it's happening. I love the smell of rain too.

    I don't know if I consider lightening beautiful as much as I consider it powerful.

  • Anonymous

    I've spent hours on hotel balconies over the years watching Florida storms, I love them too. My Nana used to let us sit on the doorstep watching them, so we weren't scared of them, although Grandad's 'story' of a fireball that came down the chimney and set fire to the cat gave us a few nightmares!

  • Gucci Mama

    Those pictures are beautiful! I love a godo thunderstorm.

  • Gucci Mama

    Wait. Hit "publish" too soon. As in, right as I noticed "godo" where "good" likely should have been.

    So. I love a *good* thunderstorm. Ahem.

  • Grand Pooba

    Hey Tiny!

    I kid, I kid. Yeah that pic with the boat freaks me out a bit. I would not want to be on that boat at that moment, just sayin. Have you ever been able to get pics of lightning yourself? The only lightning bolts we get in Utah is when god strikes down a non-mormon. I'm scared shitless.

  • Swirl Girl

    I love storms too. Lived in Florida for 14 years ...through three hurricanes and daily t-storms. Loved it! Except when you are driving. Drinking ? yes...Driving? Not so much.

  • Ronda's Rants

    You could be a storm chaser...
    I think I am near Orange park...
    I will get the address and give you a better idea...
    If we are close...I'll buy you a latte! :)

  • Beckie

    I love storms! They are gorgeous and the thunder actually soothes me, it's weird. When it starts raining, we all run outside to play in the rain like a bunch of hooligan children, haha. Hannah loves the noise, it doesn't even phase her which is fantastic. She loves playing in the rain. But we're in tornado country so we have to be careful how long we're out in the rain and all that. I wish we had more lightening, we just get the thunder and wind. Your photos are awesome by the way! I never thought to take a picture of a storm and you've shown me a whole new look on it :)

  • Amelia

    Hey...I thought we were the only idiots to go out taking pictures in a storm instead of taking shelter somewhere safe! :0) You should see some of the crazy footage we got while living in the country a couple years ago! Have fun storm chasing!

  • Michele

    Oooooo, I love storms...and here in Wisconsin, we get some wicked lightening. Maybe I'll have to venture out there and get some pics the next time for ya!

    I finally bought a house on farmtown..yippeeee!!! I'm hooked..I can't wait til I can buy some more land...I'm running out of space!

    Hugz,
    Michele

  • Tootsie

    I took a photo of a storm rolling in last summer. In the clouds (which were very black) there is a clear ominous face looking down on the area. I should send it to you. You would have loved that storm.
    I get anxiety and have to be by an open window or door when it is storming. No sleeping thru them for me!!! I also sometimes have to go out to the greenhouse and just watch...not sure why...just do!
    You would have been in storm heaven here the last few days...that is all that we have had!

  • Sue

    Yes its true J, AND you are approaching the menopause age soon!! lol
    I love a storm too, especially if it comes in the afternoon. But I hate the wind if its feirce cuz we had a couple trees fall and thats scary! We always sit on the front porch and watch the storms roll in, One day I'm standing at the front door and the huge pear tree out front just broke in half and fell, it was all very slow motion like! It fell on the house wires and ripped the electric box off the side of the house. live wires were sparking before the electric guy came and shut it off. Butch had to get on a ladder and put the box and the huge heavy wire back on the wall himself and then the EC came and turned it on!! So, anyway, yes I love a storm!! lol

  • Anonymous

    OMG............I always yell at Dave to get in the house when there is a storm. Nut jobs all of ya. I just want to be safe! Yeah, I am a big baby.

    Kiki

  • Cole

    I LOVE storms!! Great pictures, just don't get yourself killed...mmmkay?

  • Gayle

    Justine!
    I finally found your blog.
    I can't remember...maybe Picket's
    place?, where I spotted that smiling face of yours in the comment area.
    I had to stop by and say hi.
    I hope you and everyone in your neck o'the woods is doing great.
    :0)
    Stop over and say hey if you get a chance.
    Hugs,
    Gayle

  • Cinder Rail'lee

    I FOUNNNNNNNNNNND IT!

    Loved the photos of the storms..and the wind! We hardly ever have weather like that. I usually miss the ones that come into Vegas by a few hours or a day =(

    Stay away from the lightening!
    Girl your photo's are awesome!

    Have a great night!

  • Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional

    We love storms too! Lucky we live in Florida and get to see plenty.

  • Four Paws and Co

    I like to watch from inside - with the window between me & the storm!

    Great pictures!
    ☺♥☺ Diane

  • Cathy

    Oh sister......I see a storm coming and I am out the door.. G is always yelling at me to get in but hell no... I have to watch.. I love bad weather.. I will go upstairs turn our chair around and watch.... I love it..

  • Anonymous

    Oh I hear ya baby. I love lightning, thunder and the beautiful nimbus clouds that accompany them.

  • Anonymous

    Oh, Justiney! I love storms too, but not hurricanes! I even love it when the power in the house goes out at night and we can light candles. Fun! What great pictures you took of the storm clouds and what a great little video! Your neighborhood is so pretty! You should show us more of your house. I couple of posts ago your kiddies were in your kitchen and I meant to tell you how pretty it looked!!
    You know, we add fresh mozzarella too, very often! Caprese!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

  • Tootsie

    Hey...either I take care of Justin's place or no one will! He just does the bare minimum...and the weeds (he didn't know were weeds) were taking up space in my yard!!! He is allergic to grass and he was diagnosed with cancer all over the place last year. He is 23 and such a sweetie...I hope my girls find a man some day with the heart this young guy has...he is kind and so positive...and he lets me do what ever I want!! lol
    have a good weekend farming...Brayden is 10 today!!! it is a full weekend of family and friends and cleaning and cooking and laundry...etc!

  • Liz Mays

    I have never thought to capture a storm like that. Now I feel I must do it but lacking the tropical charm of Florida, it would probably be stupid.

    Those lightning shots are extraordinary. I love how you wrote about this!

  • Picket

    Girl just when I thought you couldn't possibly make me speechless anymore!!!! What happened to you girl!!!! I mean did your mama drop you on your head when you was a baby or what!!!! lol I mean I love a good Summer rain storm and the way everything smells fresh and clean after a storm and the sound of rain falling on a tin roof at night ohhhh glory...but THIS!!!!! oh my word girl.. stay in the
    house!

    Ohhhh I planted cotton last night and have you seen those new crops and flowers we can get now ohhh lordy...oh sorry....back to reality...those fried green tomatoes are suppose to taste tangy that is the best part of them and then the little bit of ranch on them ohhhh glory!!!! Kinda like eating a green aple with salt on it! Yahoo! Girl you just need some Southern-ness in you! See you at the farm girl...have a great weekend!~♥~

  • Ginger

    I'm with you, I like a good storm too, as long as I don't lose power.
    I am so excited, I actually could watch your video (using my son's computer), first time. Yeah!!

  • cindy

    I was on a SMALL cruise ship in the Bahamas when hurricane Andrew hit!..So not a big fan of hurricanes....but I do enjoy a good thunderstorm! ~Cindy~

  • xinex

    Looks like Florida's been getting its share of storms this summer. Am I ever familiar with FL lightning, they are scary so when I hear one, I do not take pictures, I run indoors....Christine

  • Alexandra MacVean

    I have mixed feelings about storms. =D I love them until the lightening comes...then it's good bye! hahaha! *hugs*

  • Joanna Jenkins

    Oh, I love a good electrical storm from a distance. We rarely get lightening in so. California, but back in the midwest- Woo-hoo!

  • Anonymous

    My husband loves storms too. I just sleep through them!

  • Stacy Uncorked

    I love it! You got some great shots, too! My hubby and I love to sit on the back porch and watch a good thunder storm - we've been gypped so far this year, though, they keep bypassing us completely. It would be really nice if Mother Nature would at least water my plants for me. ;)

  • Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden

    I love storms too! And I've tried to make them "happy" times so that Nova won't be afraid of them, esp. when woken up at night.

    We've had some real doosies the last few weeks. Some really great thunder! Or as Nova calls it, Funder.

    The rain walls are always cool.

    LOVE your new bloggy look too!

  • Mariah

    I love storms too, they give me a realy tingly feeling inside