Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Gimme More of That Coonie Love


I said Coonie, not Clooney! You people and your love of George just puzzle me. He does absolutely nothing for me, doesn't even give me a tiny twinge anywhere. You know what did though? Nikki Crumpet's spandex picture here. Definitely a twinge from that. A couple of funky twitches too.



So, back to my coonie love. Several of you liked my Rocky Raccoon post called Backyard Critters and have since asked to hear more about Rocky and if he's still been visiting me.

He sure has! Not every night how I'd like, but just when I'm least expecting him, there he is! He's so darn quiet I rarely hear him before he's right next to me, twitching his little black nose in hopes of scoring some food.

One such night I was totally prepared with my leftovers from dinner. First, I have to tell you why I had so much left over. Ever buy those Gorton's crunchy fish fillets? Well, I love them, and that's what I made this particular night. Got them all nice and crispy on the outside, made my own tartar sauce, and sat down to dive in. Well, all I can say is, "Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww". I think I may have exclaimed, "What the fuck is that?" when I put my fork through the first piece.

This is what my "fish" looked like.


Looks more like something that shoots out of your nose when you've got a bad cold, don't you think?

Just in case that shot wasn't close up enough for ya, here's another.



I know it's hard to believe, but I actually didn't grab my camera thinking, "Blog picture!" Nope, these were taken for the sole purpose of complaining to Gorton's. I was totally bummed when they had an online form and nowhere to upload a picture, so they never did get to see my fish goo.

But back to Rocky. He must have smelled that nasty fish, 'cause here he comes!



Time to sniff the offerings.



Poor bean. Even Rocky wouldn't touch the fish. He put one piece in his mouth and gently deposited it on the ground.



It amazes me that he will let me take picture after picture of him, with the flash exploding in his eyes, but he never flinches. Doesn't seem to mind at all really. As per Donna's request, I even took some video. The plate of brown crud you'll see on the left is beef-flavored cat food that all three cats turned their nose up to. So did Rocky, but later that night one of the strays around here had no such qualms.



I think you may be able to hear me talking to him in this clip.



Tell me he's not cute!

The coolest thing happened two nights ago. I heard him behind the fish tank (those are the huge crates you see behind him. Took them out of storage and need to get them sold) and called him over to me. Would you believe he came right up to me and bumped his little nose into my slipper? Then he ran away. I was so sad, because I wanted to take more pictures of him! It was a very cool experience to have him actually touch me, especially because I didn't have food out for him. I guess that's why he nose-bumped me then left.

I'll be sure to keep you all updated on any more critter encounters here in my backyard, and beyond. But let me ask you this: What is your favorite wild animal? What is your favorite domestic animal?

Until Next Time, Tiney

21 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said:

  • Anonymous

    You are a racoon whisperer!!!!!!!!!!!! Awwwwwwwwwwww how cute, he loves you. I have an owl that occasionally watches me from the roof of my garage. First time I saw him I was freaked out because he was huge. I have a sort of affection for our cat Skittles.

    Great post!

    :P Kiki

  • Unknown

    IDK, raccoons scare me because they can just turn on you. I always enjoy watching the chipmunks in the woods, but in the house I am definitely a doggy person!

  • Anonymous

    Wow...you are like the female version of Ace Ventura! It's like Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom in your yard!

    I think little "Ricky Raccoon" is very cute though....I can't believe he lets you get that close;)

  • Anonymous

    I didn't think it said Clooney, I thought it said COOCHIE.

  • Lisa (aka) French

    You are one silly one these critters can get nasty on you be careful silly or the next headline will read " Crazy Florida woman made friends with Rocky then he knocked her OUT" lol French;) xoxox

  • Michelle

    I'm with you like like George but he does nothing for me. I am more of a Brad fan. That is raccoon is so cute! I want one!!!

  • nikkicrumpet

    He is so freaking cute. I'm so jealous!!! I think they are the cutest dang animals. And they are perfect for you because they are full of crap and mischievious as heck! My favorite domestic has to be dogs...duh Crumpet's looking over my shoulder so I had to say that. My fav wild animal. Otters...I want to be an otter!

  • nikkicrumpet

    Oh and thanks for the linky love...I'm glad I make your hoo hoo twitch...well not me...but my pictures lol

  • NurseChessie

    I was on the phone with my mom when I saw the title of the blog in my dashboard. lol at tattoo cuz I thought the same thing! oops. Better quit messin with that raccoon before he gives you rockin rabies!!
    love ya
    chessie

  • Jill

    Gross that fish is disgusting.. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't eat it if I was a coon either. I'd rather eat some smelly garbage.

  • Kathy

    ugh to that fish and yum to George ugh to those spandex clad guys over at Nikki's but omgosh Rocky is the star of this show, he is so cute and he likes you Justine, I have no idea what they are capable of though so be careful, excellent video and post, hugs, Kathy.

    oh and I have to say squirrels (even though the two living in my garden are a flaming nightmare) I still think they are cute as can be and West highland terrier for the domestic animal.

  • Bridget

    Oh George you big hunk of macho manliness, I'm sure glad that Tiney don't want you cuz I wouldn't have a ghost of a chance with you if she did! mama and I will be at your lake house this spring, for you, a flea infested mattress might be tolerated but I know you'd offer me better!
    Now Tiney, somehow I just know you did not heed Nikki's warning about NOT enlarging that photo didn't you?
    I've got one word for the fish. NASTY. Rocky is one smart 'coon!

  • Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden

    You sure that's not leg lamps in dem crates?! LOL...

    Oh, he is SO beautiful. Too funny that he wouldn't eat that nasty fish either! Of course,it could be a GIRL... have you seen his CAJONES? (snort!)

    I'm definitely a cat lover... and I don't know if I could choose a favorite wild varmit. SO many amazing, beautiful creatures.

  • ~♥~ Monica S

    Oooo tough question! I am most llikely like you .. I love all kinds of animals... I have a dog, 2 hamsters and fishes right now... we've had cats, sheep!, bunnies, more fish birds etc.

    I love Racoons!! I told you before, I had one living with us when I stayed in Minnesota.

    Monica

  • SG

    I'm having trouble with your blog.

    Rocky really is adorable. My favorite wild animal? I think I like them all but none that I would want a close encounter with... like a bear or tiger.

    I'm not a dog or cat person but I loved my cat and I'm sure if I had a dog I'd love it too.

  • Sara's Sweet Surprise

    You know I love me some kitty!!!!!
    But.... I had a family of raccoons (summers ago) that would come up to my back deck to eat the cat food. It was so sweet. The parents would forge the path first to make sure it was safe to bring the babies up to the food. They like to wash their food. They'd dip the dry cat food in the water before they'd eat it. I'm curious what Rocky would do if you were to set a bowl of water next to his food. I understand why they've been nicknamed lil' bandits because of the obvious adorable face mask. It's their bandit actions that's their claim to fame. It cracks me up when they sneak and forage through the cats dish or onto the deck of the beach house we're at and dug through all five bags of garbage and refuse certain foods. They've got distinguished palettes too.

    Hey, I left a comment at Jill's today that I want you to read. We're embracing our nubs of love
    I want to add you two, to my blogroll is that okay? I refuse to add anyone who I really don't visit or doesn't return the visit. No room on my list for "BLOG SNOBS!"

    Sweet wishes,
    Sara

  • Four Paws and Co

    Ahhh, Rocky is such a pretty little guy! Be careful though. If he's a male, when he becomes big enough, he can turn on you in a heartbeat. Many years ago, my raccoon obsessed friend got a baby for xmas & bottle fed him, etc. He lived inside with the family, but when he matured, he started biting her girls. He'd be sweet one minute & attack them the next. They couldn't keep him any longer.

    Since Spode has gone out of business, Ross, TJMaxx, Marshalls & Home Goods are getting a lot of blue transferware... just thought I'd mention it since you like my blue botanical plate... ☺ Diane

  • squawmama

    Holy Kamoly girlfriend... LOVED the pictures and videos... How cute is Rocky... I love raccoons and when camping at Fort Desoto I shared many of marshmellows with them while I was sipping wine... LOL LOL I think you'll have him trained before long... Love YA

    (((HUGS)))
    Donna

  • squawmama

    and OMG!!!! I got more then a twitch from Nikki's spandex picture... LOL LOL

    Donna

  • Michael

    I so don't get Clooney either.

    The spandex picture cracked me up. Funny thing is that I was in Denver a few years ago walking around the capital building. As luck would have it, a team of bicyclists pulled up at that very moment and they looked a lot like Nikki's picture. It was so disturbing, yet heavenly, all at the same time.

    And after finding the fish head in the freezer, I so can't do seafood. Not that I liked very much of it to begin with, but now even tuna is out.

  • Michael

    I so don't get Clooney either.

    The spandex picture cracked me up. Funny thing is that I was in Denver a few years ago walking around the capital building. As luck would have it, a team of bicyclists pulled up at that very moment and they looked a lot like Nikki's picture. It was so disturbing, yet heavenly, all at the same time.

    And after finding the fish head in the freezer, I so can't do seafood. Not that I liked very much of it to begin with, but now even tuna is out.