Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Remember Me? The Fanatic Farmer?

While farming certainly has me in its grips, I’ve also had a bit of other stuff going on here, though nothing exciting, unfortunately. Let’s see what I can find to tell you.

Well, Madison started swimming lessons last week. She’s just doing two 4-day weeks and really, I think that may be all she needs. She’s only had 3 lessons so far and already she’s getting really good at the strokes the instructor taught her. She knew how to doggy paddle and float already, but it was time to get her learning how to actually swim.

Here are a couple of pics of her at the pool up at our amenities center.






I took a short video on her first day of lessons so Jimmy could see how well she was already doing.





Also snapped some pics of our amenity center to show how nice it is. This is the view of the clubhouse from where I was sitting.





Under the pergola is where the kiddie pool is.

View from the other side of the pool, looking past to the golf course.







A special treat was in store for the girls this past week because my in-laws took them for a 2-night stay on St. Simons island in GA. They picked them up on Thursday and for the next two days they boogie board-ed in the surf, swam in the hotel pool, shopped, ate at cool country restaurants and just had a great time with Mom-Mom and Pa. They both came back tanned and not burned, which is always a good thing!



But before they left cool mom (that's me) got out the pink hair dye and put streaks in their hair. I didn’t get any pictures of Mikayla but here’s Madison.







Unfortunately, with all the swimming they did the dye didn’t last long. Guess I’ll have to go buy something a bit more permanent so my girls can be hip and trendy.



Last week also turned out to be the week of the falling teeth, as both Madison and Mikayla each lost two teeth within 3 days. The Tooth Fairy really had to hustle let me tell you. Well, not for Mikayla as she’s past that age.





Yep, I see a lot of cosmetic dentistry in Madison’s immediate future. She’s really got the funkiest tooth arrangement. And you see that one small, pointed tooth on top? That’s an adult tooth! It came in in the shape of an upside-down candy corn and will definitely need to be capped. We affectionately call it her snaggletooth.



Last week we brought Strudel to a dog park for the very first time. I hated the place. It was dirty and muddy and not at all what I had hoped for. There were also only two dogs there for her to play with and they were both huge! One, a white pitbull (and oh how I hate those dogs) thought it was super fun to tackle Strudel Doo and put her head in his mouth like a furry squeak toy.





Then, when this beast was too hot and tired to eat my puppy anymore, he decided to lay down in a mud puddle. I thought it was rather cute, but his owner? Not so much. So, great guy that he was, he started smacking the poor thing with its leash and yelling at him to get out of the puddle. See how I got a shot of the leash going at the dog? I was PISSED and really wanted to say something. Nothing like taking a known aggressive breed of dog and disciplining in an aggressive way. Idiot.





The other dog there was a ginormous chocolate lab named Cooper. Now, as soon as I laid eyes on him I knew there was something not quite right with him. Sure, labs can get big and boxy but I have never seen one as tall as Cooper. When I asked his human about it he told me that the vet (same as mine) said it looks like Cooper got an extra Y chromosome and that’s why he’s so huge. Thank goodness he was sweet.







By the time we left Strudel was panting like crazy and covered in mud. Because she was so dirty Jimmy made her sit way in the back of the truck, where she commenced to give us doleful, pitiful looks. But dang, look at how cute she is! Could her tongue be any bigger?





By the way, Strudel has a new passion. Dogsters peanut butter ice cream for pups. Oh how she loves it!







So there. Now that you’re totally bored out of your mind my work is done and I can go forth and farm some more. I happen to be in good company though. Krista, from Grand Pooba; Sister Jill, from Jill’s Believe it or Not; BJ, from Sweet Nothings; (if you can believe it!) Terrie from Terrie’s Little Piece of Serenity; Cathy from As the World Flops; Ginger, from The Gingerbread Shed; Michele, from Country Vintage ; Rachelle, from Joey’s Walk; Becky, from Beckie’s Blurbs; Jill, from Jill Jill Bo Bill; and, drum roll please… Miss Crumpet herself, from the Blah Blah Blah Blog. They’re all farmers! We all wear the same overalls and we all spend way too much time plowing, planting, harvesting, and planting trees and flowers.

So here’s my question: Which of you are next?

So! The next time you dare to call me insane for my farming addiction, just keep in mind that I’m in very good company.



I'm a ho with a hoe and I'm damn proud of it! So much so that I took a screen shot of what my farm currently looks like. That's right. I rock the farm world!





Pssst! If you love me, you might love my sister more. Go visit her at Jill's Believe it or Not, and tell her I sent you!


49 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said:

  • me

    Ohhhhhhhhhh...so YOU AND the doggies still exist?! =D hahaha

    Love you! *hugs*

  • Bird Shit

    OMG Strudel is getting so big!

  • raxx a day in the life

    Why do you even take vacations? Look at your ammenities center!! Beautiful and the clubhouse!

    Maddie's doing really well in swimming, you must be a proud mama!

    I tried farmtown but it did not 'rev my engine' maybe i'll try again.

  • Anonymous

    Hey Ho with a Hoe... how ya been? Up to your knees in manure? (YUCK) I am going to have to try this farming thingy... uuuggghhh... I am sure I will get hooked! I sounds almost like the Sims.

    xoxoxoxo
    Donna Marie

  • Grand Pooba

    I my goodness can Strudel be any cuter? And the name is perfect! She needs to come hang out with my Great Dane, they'd get along great.

    And what a schmuck for whipping is dog! Poor thing!

    I love that you dyed your girl's hair pink, so cute and definately hip. I had worse teeth then snaggle tooth, my life was full of braces and chains but it does get better!

    I bet the Easter Bunny is broke.

    Your farm looks awesome, you must have been blessed with a green thumb.

  • Gucci Mama

    Does every female swim instructor look like a really oddly shaped man? Mine always did. This one is not an exception. Huh.

    I'm going to see about acquiring some crops now. Reap what I sow and whatnot.

  • Sue

    Whenever I see Strudel I think of Kims Simon, a golden, she had to give him to the retreiver rescue, they came all the way from Maryland to pick him up and find him the perfect home. It was a sad sad day and I still cry when I see his picture! He was the sweetest dog in the whole wide world! Strudel looks just like him! ( I think I'm repeating the story, I know, I'm senile)Your girls are getting so big, good luck with the swimming lessons! The pool area is beautiful! Yes J, your farm is quite lovely too!

  • Sue

    LOL!! Over on the other side of the bar is the kitchen cabinets and counter space, stove and sink. She's gonna crack up when she reads your comment! She told me yesterday her home is very lived in despite the collections. Would you believe she used to babysit a truck load of kids? Now there is just 5! And they don't touch her stuff LOL!!

  • Unknown

    Madison looks so much like Alexa. They could be twins!

    Poor Strudel had no one to play with at the doggie park?

    Tooth fairy is quite busy at your house. I'd say to keep a lot of spare change close by.

    I'll check out the farming but I can't make any promises. I don't need one more thing to get hooked on.

  • Four Paws and Co

    Great pictures Justine! I was going into Strudel withdrawal! I'm going to look at the farm again... ☺ diane

  • Rachelle

    Sorry you had such a bad experience at the dog park - that pit bull owner should be turned in! My gosh - Strudel is getting so big! Love the pic of her with her tongue hanging out! Your farm looks great! I have a long way to go on mine but I really enjoy it too. Have a great week!

  • Rachelle

    P.S. Tell Madison great job with swimming! She's a natural!

  • Ginger

    I didn't know all those gals were farmers, too. I don't know how to find them though. Half the time, my farm doesn't load right and I keep getting disconnected.
    You had a more exciting week than I did. What a gorgeous amenity center you have. Love that pool.
    Strudel is so cute, dirty or not.
    That was nice of Grandma and Grandpa to take the girls.

  • Anonymous

    My hubs is addicted to FB Farmtown..........he always has to show me what you and Jill have.

    Wish I was swimming right now!!

  • Beckie

    Okay woman, I'm totally freaking jealous! You are way up there in the points and farm cuteness factor! My creativeness lacks, LoL. Hmm...I wish we had a pool as nice as that one to swim in. And that they would do decent swimming lessons. We almost put Hannah in but it was too much money for as young as she is now. Maybe next summer...Hope you are having a fab-o summer!!!

  • Unknown

    I figured you were off farming and maybe got squashed by a cow! Good too see you're still alive. I don't think I'll be joining you gals on the farm, although it sounds great. I'd probably get addicted, so I just avoid FB these days!

  • Anonymous

    Love the teeth!

    The pink hair is awesome!

    Oooh la la-a clubhouse?

  • Frenchy

    Strudel is getting bigger by the minute...no farming for this gal like I said I have an addiction already it's called POGO and my game of choice is Euchre;)French xoxox PS if you want to check it out I have a free passssss (he he he)

  • Shannon

    I tried Farmtown once... I don't get it!

    I know, I know... I'm totally lamespice.

  • Cole

    I love Madison's pink highlights. You are definitely a COOL mom!

    I too am a Farm Town addict; though I reserve the right to deny that statement later!

    Strudel looks adorable panting from the back of the truck. :-)

  • bj

    HO HO HO..TINEY...I keep GETTING all the stuff for a farm but I don't have a freakin' clue what to do with them. Can I still be a fella farmer if I can't raise crops or chickens? Yep...I MUST be a good farmer...just see my post tomorrow...:)
    Your girls are so cute and that dog is Mr. Precious with a HUGH tongue. Bless his heart..he may rather not go back there with that Pit Bull..I think they oughta be outlawed, anyway..

  • Anonymous

    OK, I have to find out about this farm thing. I was just about ready to start bragging about my green pepper plant I was growing before we left. :) I love your new look too, when I get time I'm coming back to catch up on what you have been up to. If I lived as close as you do to Savannah, I would be up there once a month.

    Love ya,
    Chris

  • Amelia

    Wow Strudel sure is a growing girl! Her baby looks are disappearing fast! She is very pretty though! Smiles!

  • Bridget

    I'm glad you are loving the farm life but I still refuse to go there. Give me the city life! LOL

  • Cathy

    your farm is fabulous...mine died like a week ago.. bad farmer bad farmer...

  • Secondary Roads

    Madison is doing great in the pool.
    Love the snaggle tooth shot!
    I see you did get that fab white house you wanted for your farm, but where's the barn? Do you get to apply manure to the fields?

  • Michele

    OMG, Strudel is getting so big! Okay, so how can I add those blog folks as buddies? I'm finally getting the hang of it and I think I'm hooked too!!! Glenn gives me such grief!

    Hugz,
    Michele

  • Tami

    I'm so glad to have found another FarmTown addict! When I mention it to my other FB buddies, all I get are blank stares! :) I just started a week and a half ago and I already have the biggest plot you can buy. Of course that means I haven't put much money into anything else. I live in a shack, but my farm sure is HUGE! ;)

  • Four Paws and Co

    Call me the POOR, CONFUSED farmer.... I just buy seed, plant, harvest & repeat & live under a tree. It's pathetic.

  • Tootsie

    hey justine. I don't know what it was...when I would load you...I never got to the wibbit wibbit part...it cut off and all I could see was how many other people had said something...
    so...here's what I wanted to say: (since I can finally say it)
    Your girls are growing up so fast and into such beauties!!! It sounds like they were very lucky to get to have a bit of time with their grandparents!!!
    Now that puppy of yours is just gorgeous...I am so jealous...what a beautiful pooch...baby face went away really fast...but not the baby attitude hey? lol
    that guy hitting his dog is lucky someone like me didn't show up and hit him with that leash. What a jerk...talk about treating a breed with a bad rep. to behave aggressive! I honestly believe that a dog is only as good as it's owner. My dog is not known by reputation to be so gentle...or good with kids...but we taught her how to be a sweet little softie...and we didn't have to beat her to do it!
    Glad to hear you are getting out and keeping busy...and that you are having some fun.
    I will not comment on the farming...as I refuse to get on that ...lol
    Hope you have a great week and post again soon!
    now ...my face hurts...and I have to go.
    oh...you asked about the IV...they put me on IV antibiotics so that they would be in my system faster...the pills would take a few days to begin to work at full strength...apparently this works, and since I live only 10 mins from the hospital, it is not a big deal to go back and forth for the treatments. I am already able to open my mouth a bit and have let the strong pain meds go...just ibuprophen now for me! I still look like I have 1/2 a freak face as it is all tight and swollen (enough to pinch off the nerve that allows sensation in my face) but at least I am not screaming in pain!!! after the next three treatments, I will be put on the tablet form of the drug, and hopefully be good to go! My dentist appt. (yes I am going) is tomorrow morning...and I am scared as hell even tho I know they are just doing x-rays tomorrow....wish me luck!

  • Liz Mays

    Well, eventually you're going to get tired of farming and come back to bloggy world and I'm waiting!

  • Anonymous

    Justiney! You silly silly one! A farmer? Well, maybe a farmertress or a farmerrette! LOL Glad you're having fun! The video of Madison is precious! Hope you're keeping these little clips to show the girls when they get older!
    Glad they had fun at the grandparents and love the pink streaks! Didn't you have a blue streak once? LOL
    Pup is sure growing and as cute as can be!
    Take care,
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

  • Picket

    Hey girl....I think that is so sweet that you named it the lil sweet tater! lol Hey...wait a minute...I was here early this morning and wrote you a book...what happened to my comment???? Man....I know I pressed that button! Anyway...your daughter is very good at swimming...I remember taking lessons when I was young....no Moses was not my instructor! That furbaby is getting huge girl! I would love to do that farming thingy..can you have chickens on the farm? Oh and girl if you love the old window pane look on the back porch just go find you an old one and hang it on your back porch! lol Remember I use to have it hanging over my counter in the kitchen...you can use it anywhere...good to hear from you girl...keep those plow rows straight and keep on farming! lol

  • bj

    haahahhaaa...I just use big letters when I type HUGH to make you know it is really, really.....BIG !! :)

    Yep, we have lots of custom shelling places here in West Texas. Lots of pecan orchards and lots of just individuals pecan trees. We don't make this many pecans every year...about every
    3rd year. We've had this tree for 30 years and this is the biggest crop we've ever made. Pretty cool...'cept when the pecans are all over the yard, you HAVE to pick them up or else you can't even walk in the yard. Back-breaking work..when the grands were little, I'd say, "Oh, boy, here's a basket...go out and pick up pecans" and they'd just run out there and pick, pick, pick...THEN...they learned that it was W.O.R.K. and didn't wanna do it anymore!! :)

  • bj

    oops..forgot there's something I wanted to ask..when you type your post and want to use the LARGE letters, how do you make 2 lines in Large so that the letters below run into the upper ones? When I try to do that, mine skips a space between the lines and I can't get that cool look YOU get....??

  • Lavender Chick

    Okay - As I was REALLY farming today, I couldn't help but think how much I would like to rake the leash-whipping dog owner up into our hay baler and mangle him like a big ole bale of crap!

    And, on a positve note, I enjoyed the video and toothless pictures - thanks for sharing!

  • bj

    Dear O, GREAT SPELLER..Meant to tell you your blog layout, colors and header are so neat...I love it all.
    And, I have tried all my life to be mean, lean and nasty but I always end up being NORMAL...glad I can add a little 'normal' to your life!! :O)
    See ya later, dear one..

  • me

    Hey! I want a red streak in my hair!!!! =D

    Thank you for the hugs!!! Now...get your butt back to my blog and let me know what you think about my story from last week being true!!

    Love ya! =)

    PS I will send you a more detailed note on my health status.

  • Jason, as himself

    Life is good for you guys!

  • Claremont First Ward

    Looks like she's a great swimmer. My number #2 has some craziness going on with her lower teeth. Definitely braces for her. They start them YOUNG now. Your amenity center looks amazing. So beautiful..........and that lab..........I'm glad there is another dog in the picture for comparison. He's HUGE.

  • Michelloui

    Oooooh! That swimming pool just looks so inviting! Having a rare 'hot spell' in the UK (I put 'hot spell' in quotes because I've experienced a TX hot spell and those kind dont need quotes). I like this blog...found you from yaya's site! You'll me again--it's nice to read blog that's happy and lighthearted!!

  • Anonymous

    Hey there, thanks for stopping by, I always look forward to your visits. I wanted to tell you our next stop will be near Winston- Salem,NC..We'll be there for 2 weeks... The dash air in our RV went out so that's always stressful getting something like that repaired. You never know if it is covered under warranty, I hope seeing they charge $129. per hour for labor. Then next you pray they have the parts to fix it. But, it always gets worked out. :)

    Big Hugs,
    Chris

  • Lagean Ellis

    Love the photos at the swim video. Thanks for sharing.

    I'm not a big fan of pit bulls, either, but, with that owner, it doesn't stand a chance. Poor thing.

    Take a moment and stop by, I have left you an award: www.lageanellis.blogspot.com

    Hope you like it!

  • bj

    Gosh, Tiney...you're not posting enuf..I wanna see more of your kids and your life. You too busy on FaceBook?? :)
    I keep looking at little Snaggle Tooth and laughing because my youngest grand is 7 and she is going thru the same thing. Those teeth are droppin' like flies...
    (OMG, I hope I spelled everything wright!)

  • cindy

    Oh my goodness your dog got big since the last time I visited! He's still cute! Hope all is well, take care, Cindy

  • mrsben

    So that's where you've been....'down on the Farm, knee deep in Cow S--t?' JK

    So glad that you have Madison taking swimming lessons. Believe it or not we have always had a pool and our kids learned at a very early age how to swim BUT.... I can actually count on one hand the number of times that I have gone swimming since my Teen years. It just ain't my thing as I get seasick just floating around on an air mattress. Ha!

    Cannot believe how Strudel has grown, and ya it is about that jerk of a Pitbull dog owner. Some people just shud not have pets.

    Well girl, nice talking to you and HAPPY FARMING! Hugs -Brenda-

  • aussiechic

    Your puppy is absolutely adorable!!!!

  • bj

    Dearest darlin' Tiney,
    I have to tell you...now, I normally wouldn't even mention it but...I nearly fell over in a dead faint, foaming at the mouth when my forever friend made a 4 hour drive to spend the day with me..walked in and the first words out of her mouth.."Did you know you always spell 'huge' wrong?" I dang near hit her, right in the mouth! I said, "Yes, thank you very much...I am WELL aware that I have been misspelling (sp?) a very common word...is it the start of that A. disease?"

  • Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden

    That really ticks me off about the leash guy! Look at how that poor dog is cowering. No telling what he does at home. Ugh!

    Strudel is getting so big.

    Gotta love the pink hair! They sell cool clip on hair highlites in all colors on ebay; quite fun! They just need to be razored on the ends so they blend into the hair.

    I will never farm. You can't make me. At least not on FB, lol!