Saturday, May 24, 2008

Here's what's on my mind tonight.  At what age do we think it's okay to lose our parents?  Here I am, nearly 38 and the very thought of losing either Mom or Dad gives me chills up my spine.  I  mean I literally cannot imagine my life with them not in it.  I may only see them about once a month, but I cherish each and every minute with them, whether we're arguing over the color they painted their house (I think it's atrocious and they love it) or laughing over their crazy neighbor calling the cops on them because their hot tub makes too much noise... It doesn't matter what we're doing, I just love to be WITH them.  Sometimes Mom and I will just sit out on their back porch (what my father calls the Smokatorium) watching HGTV, or TLC's What Not To Wear and we barely talk.  Other times, you can't shut us up.  Mom wants to know if my sex life has improved, I want to know when she's going to let her hair grow out a bit.  This is about how our conversations go.

Then there's Dad.  Talk about a character!  Born and raised "the" Bronx, NY and standing at a petite 5' 5", he looks a lot like Danny DeVito from that wonderful, classic show, Taxi.  He's loud, he's obnoxious and isn't the least bit affectionate, but there's something so innately lovable about him all the same.  The stories he tells are enough to make you wet your pants!  Like the time when he was a young teenager and his father sent him up a tree to trim some branches with a saw.  Hack hack hack, back and forth the saw went, until yes!  He was almost through the fat branch!  But... wait!  Oh no!  He was SITTING on the branch he was sawing!  Oops, too late!  He and the branch went crashing to the ground.  Did he get sympathy from his father and grandfather who had witnessed it?  No!  His grandfather gave him a beating for being so stupid!  Sounds kind of sad now that I put it in words, but to hear my father tell it you'd fall off your chair laughing.

Or how about the one about the lady he worked with who always wore a turban on her head?  One day he finally asked her why she always wore one and she told him it's because her ears are exceptionally long.  Dad tells it something like this: "Her earlobes were so long that they nearly touched her shoulders, and each day she had to curl them up into a spiral and hide them under the turban!"  And he would say this with the straightest face, and to this day swears the story is true.

So that's just a little taste of what my Dad is like.  I guess most of this is on my mind because we just recently found out that he has prostate cancer.  The prognosis is good, in that it's only in a small part of the prostate, and thank God, it has not spread, but just the word CANCER is daunting, isn't it?  He will be starting radiation treatment in the following weeks, and I can only hope that his body won't react badly to it, and that the radiation will do its job to make my father cancer-free.  Anyone out there in blogland that believes in God, please say a prayer for my family.  Every little bit helps, I believe.

Until next time, Justine :o )

16 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said:

  • Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity

    Justine, Why didn't you tell me you have a blog??
    Hugs, Terrie

  • Buffie

    He sounds so funny, now I know where you get it!! And of course he's in our prayers...

  • Anonymous

    I don't think there is any age when we are ready to say goodbye to our parents but if life is fair, we will eventually. I can promise you that they would rather we say our goodbyes to them than for it to be the other way around. Your parents are young still and I hope you will make many more fond memories together. They have certainly raised you well. I'll be praying for all the best for your dad!

  • Anonymous

    We all fear that day when we get that call about a parent. I call my mom every day. I don't know what I would do with out her or my dad. But, when that day comes, we're given the strenght to handle it. I don't know where it comes from, but I see it all the time in people I've taken care of at the cemetery. We are all stronger than we give ourselves credit for! You have strenght too ....Julie

  • PAT

    Hi Justine

    I just clicked over from Gollum's to welcome you to the land of blog.

    Come by the Back Porch sometime.

    I remember you left a nice comment at my spaces at RMS. Thank you so much. Due to time constraints and too many irons in the fire, I removed my rooms awhile back. I felt I didn't have the time to devote to RMS that I should have.

    Again, welcome to blogging. I consider it a wonderful pastime!

    Pat

  • SG

    Hey girl!
    You really have a knack for blogging already! You already know how sorry I am that you are even thinking about this stuff.

    I think of my dad and I get upset thinking I could lose him one day too. I think I get even more upset for my daughters than for me because he's their grandpa and they love him so much. I never had a grandpa and I so want them to have one forever.

    I think Bigeee said it best. Listen to her words of wisdom.

    Love ya girl!

  • SG

    Oh! And I loved the earlobe story! LMAO!

  • Anonymous

    Hey Justine, Welcome to blogland. way to go girl. I just found out about this from Gollums. And girl I don't think you are ever ready to lose your parents.I lost both of mine within 2 years and they have left a void in my heart so strong. The hardest thing for me is not being able to pick up the phone and call my Mama everyday, She just died last year and realy was my best friend on earth.Your family sounds like too much fun. Hugs and smiles. aka Happytobe.

  • SG

    Ooooh Justine! Turn the vase over and stand on it! What a great experiment! Oh and please take video of it just in case you do fall on your ass. That's something I do not want to miss! ;)

  • Tootsie

    welcome to the blog world. I never thought I would have one either....but got sucked in!

  • Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity

    Justine, I would love to help you with your blog. I am not sure I understand your question. Do you want to know where i get/find my pictures or how to download them into your blog. If you'll clarify the question, I will get you an answer. Oh, by the way. We never know how long we'll be on this earth. So treasure every minute with all of your loved ones. I lost my dad 4 years ago April. I'll never get over it. He was only 68. That's way too young. I miss him everyday.
    Hugs, Terrie

  • Dazzlemama

    Sweet blog space Justine! I bookmarked you :) Your Dad sounds hilarious - guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

  • Anonymous

    Congrats on your new blog. I loved reading about your parents. Sounds like you all have such a wonderful relationship. My Mom passed away about 10 years ago and my Dad about 5 years ago - let me tell you - you are never ready for it and you never get over it. But as "they" say - life does go on. My prayers are with your Dad during this trying time. Vicki
    (nycek)
    P.S. Your daughters are just beautiful. :)

  • Tootsie

    hey justine...hope you are having a good day. My dad was diagnosed with emphasyma (sp?) a few years back and I know just how you feel. Hang on to him. and love him. Things always work out the way they were supposed to!

  • Lisa (aka) French

    WTG on starting your own blog~~~visit me anytime! Thanks for taking the time to read my story...we can all learn from taking the time to just watch and listen....just when we think we have it tough others remind us of who and what is truly important! Cheers French;)

  • Anonymous

    I definately need some funky streaks in my hair! I think pink for me a dark pink!
    So this is what blog heaven in like?
    Jimmy with the layers kind of freaks me out. I would definately say this a cause for a counsling call!

    jill