Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Cloudy With a Chance of Electrocution

There are very few things that I enjoy about summer in Florida.  I could count them on one hand.



I love all of the lizards and tree frogs that come out to play at this time of year.  Any day now the tree frogs will sing their mighty songs each night, especially after a good soaking of rain.  I can't tell you how much I love that sound.



I love love love the powerful storms we get at this time of year.  Lightning strikes hitting the ground, great claps of thunder that will scare you right out of your seat... love it!!!



Except, the thunder usually doesn't scare me right out of my seat and there are times when maybe it should.



Several weeks ago, I was sitting out here in the bitch cave, playing on my laptop and enjoying the raging storm around me.  Any normal person would be enjoying said storm from the safety of the inside of the house, but not me.  Oh no, I'm much too stoopid for that.



So, I sat here enjoying myself until a huge fork of lightning came down in the woods directly behind my backyard.  At the very moment it struck, the sky let out a crack not unlike a sonic boom, but before I had a chance to jump out of reflex I felt a jolt that went from my thumb resting on the space bar, up my forearm, way past my shoulder, and up to my right ear.



I had been zapped.  Not badly mind you.  If it had been bad I wouldn't be here to type the tale.



But it did stun me enough to get my hiney indoors immediately.



Okay yeah, I grabbed my computer first.  But then I ran inside immediately.



My forearm was actually aching for quite a while, but this was my first zapping and I had to let someone know!  I quickly called Jimmy to excitedly tell him I'd just been electrocuted.  The conversation went something like this:



Jimmy:  Hello, this is Jim.

Me:  It's me!  Guess what just happened?

Jimmy:  You iced somebody in Mafia Wars.

Me:  Well yes, but not that.  I was zapped by lightning!

Jimmy:  Well, you're obviously not dead, so can we talk about this later?  I'm late for a meeting.



Hmph.   Thanks for sucking the excitement out of my victorious battle with Mother Nature.  Next time I'm calling Jill.  At least she would show some appreciation for my near-death experience.



This is not the storm that nearly killed me (pause for drama) but it sure was a beauty!




























Jill was here that day and once the storm broke loose, we stood on my front porch to capture some of it.  Listening to this makes me cringe because I thought my NY accent was basically gone.  Not so apparently!  Blech!







And then a little more video for your viewing pleasure.







I bet you're feeling mighty jealous of my beautiful storms, aren't you? Well, don't be because along with the lizards and the frogs and the storms, comes the devastating heat and humidity. The other day it was 100 degrees with a heat index of 123.



Melts the skin right off your face.

15 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said:

  • Unknown

    I'm a storm loving girl too! Lightning scares me though. Never understood people in the parks standing under umbrellas thinking they were safe. LOL

  • Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria

    Good Morning my Dear friend...Girl you are just too funny...
    we have been in the 100 here but don't have that humidity like you have...
    I hate the thunder with stroms...what are you doing out in it...and was that Jill telling you about your cell phone?? does she not know a camera when she see one...ha ha!!

    Thanks for coming by girl..long time no see...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

  • Gucci Mama

    I'm still jealous of your storms, even if there are lizards and humidity involved. There are few things I like better than a giant, scary thunder storm. Awesome.

  • Screwed Up Texan

    I love storms...in another life I was a storm chaser!

  • Jo

    Losing your NY accent lmao...you are way too funny

  • Anonymous

    OK, I am a storm baby--hide me (especially with our tornado on 6/21).

    Jimmy's a dick. just sayin'.

    Kiki

  • Anonymous

    I can always count on getting a laugh when I come to see you, Justiney! :)The storms do make for gorgeous skies, don't they?
    It's hurricane season here again - I hate it and there's a hurricane going to hit around Brownsville today. We're getting rain, but hopefully that's all.
    Snap anytime - you know I love it!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

  • Michele

    I love storms too...Sunday we had a tornado that touched down about a 1/2 mile from our house...the sirens went off after it hit...gee, ya think they could do it in time for us to get to safety...nah!

    Hugz,
    Michele

  • Unknown

    Oh Dear Lord
    Why am I moving there again???? I hate no despise, detest lightening; looks like I am going to be under my bed alot with the cat. You are so lucky you are ok, I am afraid to pee during a storm in case the lightening comes up throught the toilet. Hey I love your accent and Your neighborhood is very nice looking too!

    Your soon to be neighbor...kinda sorta

  • Brianne

    Heat index of 123?! Oh my darn it, I would be DEAD. DEAD I tell you!!

    Those pics are fantastic. :)

    I'm glad you sent them in to TWC.

  • Anonymous

    New to your blog, but darn that was a funny post! I cant' even imagine those kind of temperatures without breaking into a sweat! Thankfully the rain from those storms should cool things off.
    Bella
    http://gypsyroxylee.wordpress.com/

  • Cole

    I love storms too! I would, however, like to encourage to you step AWAY from the computer during the next on though!

  • Alexandra MacVean

    hahaha maybe next time you'll get your toosh up out of the Bitch Cave and get inside where it is safe!! :) Hee hee

    Now, I don't mind mild thunderstorms, but anything past that....you can keep them!

    Hugs!

  • Liz Mays

    That zap was a warning. Take heed!

  • Anonymous

    Hi Justiney! Thanks for popping in to see me! Well, I would have loved to be able to put the red fabric behind my chicken wire, but I don't have enough fabric left. I made these so many years ago! Nice to see you putting on your decorator's cap! :)
    Be a sweetie and have a happy 4th,
    Shelia ;)