Thursday, June 12, 2008

Tickin' a Blue Streak

I have to share the horrible nightmare I had last night! Now, to set it up a bit, I have to first tell you that last week, my friend Becky found a tick on her daughter's leg. Now those that know me, know that I love critters great and small, but aside from a dragonfly, I do NOT like bugs. And, as I always sit out on my back porch to email and blog and am not screened in, I am no stranger to the nasty blood sucking skeeters. And let us not forget the spittle bugs,who while sitting on a leaf and eating it, disguise themselves by blowing a secretion out their butt that bubbles up to hide them. Ooh! And the stupid golden brown beetles that keep clocking themselves against the light fixture, before then falling down into my coffee mug or my keyboard. Oh, and my HEAD. Yes, they love landing in my hair, which grosses me out to no end.

As I sit here right now there are beetles circling overhead, cicadas singing in a nearby tree, spittle bugs plastered all over the stucco, and a lone tree frog singing his heart out. I do love the ribbits though. I can't get enough of tree frogs, which is why I have a huge one tattooed on my right shin. Jesse Tat But back to the bugs. Florida is known for its bug population and I can attest it is true. We have bugs as big as helicopters, and more stinging/biting things than I care to think about. Five different species of poisonous snake, and a nice variety of spiders, the most scary being the black and brown widow, (which I'm constantly killing back here), and the brown recluse.

So it's no wonder that once in a while I'm going to have a dream that centers around arachnids and creepy crawly things. So there I was last night, sleeping like the proverbial baby,
when all of a sudden, my dreaming self starts scratching my scalp. Suddenly, I felt something. No, TWO somethings, sticking out of my scalp. OMG, I have TICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TICKS in my HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! In my dream I start frantically trying to get hold of the tick's body to pull it out, but it's too slippery. Keeps sliding out between my fingers! So I move to the other one. Same thing. Can't grasp it!!!!!!!!!!!! So then I start tugging on my hair so hard that I woke myself up. I was in a sweat, freaking out, wondering, should I wake Jimmy up? Or can I handle this on my own? So I quickly went into the bathroom, flipped on the light and stared at myself in the mirror for a moment or two to compose myself before separating my hair to find these horrible miniature vampire-like critters with their heads embedded in my scalp, sucking the very life's blood out of me.

On the count of three... One... Two... Three. Separate hair. Stare in disbelief and then let out a huge sigh of relief as I realize my stupidity. I didn't have ticks after all. That was just a dream. I had been feeling something slippery though, but it was nothing more than the blue hair extensions Larry put in yesterday!! I was squeezing and pulling those bastards for all they were worth thinking they were bugs!!!!! If you've never seen a synthetic hair extension, it's put in with a kind of tape and glue right near the scalp. See?
Hey! While I was sleeping it really did feel like a bug sticking out of my head! Go ahead, you can laugh now, I won't hold it against you. But I tell ya what, it scared the bejeesus out of me at the time. I can't believe that I didn't realize what I had been pulling on when I first woke up. I literally didn't think about the extensions until I was starting straight at them. But now I can safely sing, "There ain't no bugs on me. There ain't no bugs on me. There may be bugs on some of your mugs, but there ain't no bugs on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

P.S. Just looked down to find a moth in my coffee! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Until next time, Justine :o )

28 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said:

  • Bridget

    If you don't stop putting pics of bugs in your blog I'm going to have to stop visiting. I don't like to see bugs!

  • SG

    Justine:
    Eponine is one of the main characters in the musical Les Miserable. She was a girl that had to live in the streets due to hard times. Our cat was a street cat too. We took her in when we lived in NYC. We both love the musical and thought it was fitting.

    No! Do tell! I'm off to read your blog...

  • SG

    OMG! I'm so glad my tick story inspired that dream! Too funny! Isn't it amazing how real a dream can be even once you wake up? I'm sure Jimmy is glad you didn't wake him up to save your from your hair extensions!

  • artis1111

    Back in Va. I had a hair customer,that had to go into the woods a lot. He survayed land.He wanted his hair straightned. I put the solution on and combed trough. Rinsed it and put the last sotution on and was combing it. When I felt this large lump. I checked , it was a tick. The thing had gorged it;s self and was huge. How it had lived through the chemical solution I have no idea. He pulled it out. Not me!Kathy

  • mrsben

    Re Bridget's comment....DITTO! HATE BUGS!!!!! As much as I detest our Canadian Winters (sign of aging I'm told...ha!), I ain't going to be moving to Florida. Will settle to just vacation there. Glad it was only a dream Justine....have a pleasant day! Hugs -Brenda-

  • Justine

    Bridget and Mrs. Ben, I'm sooooooooooo sorry to have grossed you out, but this is my real life and I had to share this story! And of course, I had to add pictures for the whole visual aids kinda thing! LOL! Sorry ladies! Enter at your own risk! heeheehee

    Justine :o )

  • mrsben

    Justine: I'm just pulling your leg....but I do hate bugs 'n insects of any shape 'n form. (One eason why I'm not a Gardner and secondly because I just don't have a da*n green thumb.) I sincerely do enjoy your blogging. -Brenda-

  • aimee

    You crack me up, Justine!

  • Tootsie

    you just kill me! funny story. just came home to shower..,back to the woods!

  • Dazzlemama

    What are we going to do with you Justine? LOL
    Candy

  • Justine

    Wow! My cousin, Chessie (Francesca) signed my guest book! I'm stunned. You people must think no one in my family reads my blog because NO ONE ever comments!

    Justine :o )

  • Four in Costa Rica

    I totally get the bug thing (we get a ton too) but I'd still rather have bugs than scorpions. We've had four of them here and yuck!

    I did get a very cute gecko in the house the other night. Dan caught him and let him out the front door. :)

    Christine

  • katdish

    Wow. I'm so glad I sat down to catch up on my blog reading! Between Schmecky's fruity pebble booger story and your tick dream, I'm all set for lunch! BTW, we call those brown things June bugs in Texas. Did you know they burrow in the soil and turn into white grubs? Lovely!

  • Buffie

    LMAO!!!!! How FUNNY! Good thing you didn't rip them outa your head girl!! That would've freaked me out too!

    Oh and I like your frog tattoo, You're WAY cooler than me!

  • Bridget

    I like you new formatting but I still haven't read this because I have to skip over the BUGS!!!

  • Justine

    Brenda, whose baby pic is that? gorgeous child!

    Justine :o )

  • mrsben

    Hey, hey....believe it or not, that was me, MRSBEN. Just thought I'd throw a curve at you...teehee. (Thanks for the compliment.) Hugs to ya.

  • Justine

    Brenda, I had a funny feeling that was a pic of you. What a gorgeous baby you were!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Justine :o )

  • mrsben

    Thanks for the compliment, but to be honest I was a little shattered that you didn't see the resemblance right away....ha! Now since you know what I look like 'well before and much after', (considering both ages) how about posting a baby picture of yourself?
    I bet you were a real sweetie. Would make a great topic. (Even those who visit your blog could re-edit their picture just for a day; and you cud title it "BABIES".) Must go now, have plenty of work to do as expecting house guests that are staying a week. (Must attack the dust bunnies!)

  • Lisa

    Ugh! I hate bugs! SO funny you posted about this: Yesterday my mom was showing me her garden and we heard this loud buzzing. I feared it was a rhino-beetle, they are HUGE and loud, and no strangers to TN. But we look up and it was none other than a hummingbird! Better a hummingbird than a rhino-beatle. YUCK!!

  • Raxx - A day in the life

    Hi Justine,
    Thanks for visiting my blog!! I've been reading yours a for a while now as time permits, it's so fun! Love your blog!!

  • artis1111

    Love the little frogs, and the guitar music. Kathy

  • Raxx - A day in the life

    Here you go again!! I gave you another award!! (you know the rules, check it out!)

  • Anonymous

    Change the music

    From your Brother

  • Anonymous

    Change the Music.

    Your Brother

  • Bridget

    Okay, I got through the bugs and read the whole story. But I can't promise I'll read another bug story. Can't you write about your adorable daughters instead? Brenda's right about those cold winters, the best part is that all the bugs freeze or hide but you have a few bug free months...that doesn't happen in Florida!

  • Justine

    Oh boy, can you guys just FEEL the love coming from my bro? ROFLMAO!

    Justine :o )

  • Justine

    I know it's silly to do so, but my newest Blogger friend, Raxx wrote something very sweet about me on her blog and I thought I would share it with whomever comes to read comments!

    Justwaaaa is a name I have seen at RMS for a long time, and I admire her because she can be tough as nails and yet have a soft caring side. I think her blogs are funny as hell!
    5. Braincoral - This is my sister's blog, she is receiving this award because she is in Chicago studying medicine, she is currently on internship and I would like to encourage her to re-start her blog. I would love for her to share her trials and successes.