Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Too Proud For Words. Or Maybe Not THAT Proud.

It's not often I talk about my three nephews and, that is certainly not because I don't adore them.  It's more that I don't get to see them very often.  My brother, Jeff, and his wife, Pat, only live an hour and a half or so from me, but with me not being able to drive long distances and Jimmy's work schedule, it's not always easy to get together.

But when we are together laughter and pee pee accidents are sure to follow.

I've got a few different things to tell you about this past weekend with my family, but I'll save that for another day and instead tell you a bit about my  nephew and godson, Jonny.  He's always been an extremely loving, caring, affection guy, even as a baby.  He has also always been a bit on the shy side.  So when he took up acting in high school I never could have imagined him overcoming that shyness to become a great thespian.

Sure, I'd heard all the stories from every family member after every one of his plays.  How funny he is, how he totally embraces the character he's portraying.  His stage presence, etc etc etc.  But I never got to see him!  Me.  His godmother.  I am the only one in the whole damn family not to see him perform!

That is, until this past weekend.  This wasn't a play, but instead a fund raiser dinner for family of the thespians.  Each table would get one of the actors as their waiter or waitress while little skits from different plays and musical performances were put on.

We were not in a theater.  We were not even in an auditorium.  We were in a church hall of some sort with horrible lighting.  But I tell you what.  When my Jonny took the floor (because there was no stage to take) everything else faded away for me and all I saw was this young man exuding incredible talent that I was just now getting to see.  No matter how many eyewitness accounts I'd had, there was just no way I could fathom his talent without seeing it for myself.

And oh, I saw it.  I was stunned.  Awed.  Brought to damn tears.  There he was, doing a scene with his friend Kris, using a British accent (when the hell did he learn that?) and throwing out funny lines and I?  I was choked up and with wet, glassy eyes.

My nephew is friggin' brilliant.

I shit you not.

And he can SING!

I swear, the moment he steps out there he becomes a different person.  His body language changes, his facial expressions change, he morphs into whomever it is he's portraying.

I honestly didn't meant to go on and on about Jonny.  I was just going to post a video clip of their group musical performance and leave it at that.  But then I sat here, thinking back on watching him and I just had to try and describe the way it (he) made me feel.

Old, for one.

But proud.  Oh so very proud.

I present to you, Jonny, as male lead, in their group musical performance which won best in show at district level (and is going on to state soon!).  I'll apologize in advance for the crap quality, but Jimmy didn't bring in the tri-pod, we were at the back, and like I mentioned earlier, their lighting sucked.

But look at him with that slick vest on!





You have to admit that their talent is incredible considering they're still in their teens, no?


I cannot wait to see his last performance as a high school student next month in their rendition of The Princess and the Pea, called Once Upon a Mattress.  Once again?  Jonny's got the male lead part!  Woot woot!


Pssst! If you love me, you might love my stupid sister more. Go visit her at Jill's Believe it or Not, and tell her I sent you!

19 "Sister" Lovin' Friends Said: